Singapore Expats

motorbike ride singapore to laos

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
Maaka

motorbike ride singapore to laos

Post by Maaka » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 5:47 pm

happy new year..

I am new member, and I am planning to fly into Singapore , buy a second hand honda phantom, and ride to Laos..Can a tourist buy a motorbike, is there problems with number plates crossing borders..etc etc..has anyone driven a vehicle from Singers to Thailand /Laos before? any info would be helpful on any aspect of this idea..I no nothing...cheers

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Re: motorbike ride singapore to laos

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 8:36 pm

Maaka wrote:happy new year..

I am new member, and I am planning to fly into Singapore , buy a second hand honda phantom, and ride to Laos..Can a tourist buy a motorbike, is there problems with number plates crossing borders..etc etc..has anyone driven a vehicle from Singers to Thailand /Laos before? any info would be helpful on any aspect of this idea..I no nothing...cheers
Yes, people have done that ride before, see this: http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... =singapore

No idea if tourists can buy a motorbike in Singapore, but to be honest you would be mad. Because of the COE, Singapore is one of the most expensive places in SE Asia to buy vehicles. You're better off exploring the option 50km to the north in Malaysia.

For touring Laos, you can't beat the information on GT Rider:
http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... ip-Reports

For overland trips in general, research on Horizons Unlimited: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/southern-asia-2

Maaka

thanks

Post by Maaka » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 3:29 am

thanks George for some really helpful internet sites and advice....regarding this COE thing...are you saying that a man can buy a bike say for $1000, but then has to pay a huge amount for this COE thingy?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: thanks

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 8:17 am

Maaka wrote:thanks George for some really helpful internet sites and advice....regarding this COE thing...are you saying that a man can buy a bike say for $1000, but then has to pay a huge amount for this COE thingy?
The December COE for a motorcycle was S$1500.

Getting a bike into Laos could prove to be a problem. My last trip, we rode Urals from Hanoi to the border. Then, once we walked across, we picked up bikes trucked in from Vientiane and rode to Vientiane.

My understanding is that it is now possible to ride a bike into Laos but you must prove that you are going to bring it back out, leave a deposit, etc.

If you are serious about doing this, I can put you into contact with someone who has taken bikes into Laos.

Thailand is cool. However, beware of bandits in southern Thailand. Many people I have talked to have said they would only ride as a group for protection. I don't know first hand... I haven't done it.

Maaka

thanks SE.

Post by Maaka » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 3:18 am

Thanks Strong Eagle for the advice. I was in southern Thailand 37yrs ago and they were blowing up trains and things back then, was abit wild westish, and yes still bombings and stuff going on between muslim, thais, and the government,..

yes I am serious with this idea of singapore to Laos, maybe even to Bhutan, but I just gathering info at the mo, on whats required..I may come back to you re the geting into Laos thing at a later date, but like you I have heard that there may have been a change to allowing bike entry..I will check on this...cheers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:20 pm

watch the top gear vietnam special to get a taster of what you are getting into. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Vietnam_Special