Singapore Expats

Should I apply LPR?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
hsiao

Should I apply LPR?

Post by hsiao » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 1:33 am

Dear All,

I'm a fresh graduate who hold a First Class Degree Hons Cert in Finance issued by University of Hertfordshire, U.K. However, the institutions that I attended for my degree was INTI International University (Malaysia), in short my degree is obtained through a distance learning program.

Previously I have been offered a job by a leading bank in Singapore. The company tried to apply an spass for me, however, It was rejected at the very first place. After that the company went for an appeal, however, It was rejected again. At the end, the company terminated my letter of appointment, so currently I'm Jobless.

I was advised to apply for Landed Permanent Resident as I have just graduated on November 2010. What do you all think about my case? Should I go for Landed-PR? Please advice.

I'm looking forward to hear from you all. Your help in this will be greatly appreciated

Regards,
Hsiao
Mr Hsiao

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Should I apply LPR?

Post by JayCee » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:54 pm

Probably got turned down because of the distance learning degree thing, so not sure if you'll have any better chance at getting LPR

sand_ste

Post by sand_ste » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 4:05 pm

hsiao wrote:Dear All,

I'm a fresh graduate who hold a First Class Degree Hons Cert in Finance issued by University of Hertfordshire, U.K. However, the institutions that I attended for my degree was INTI International University (Malaysia), in short my degree is obtained through a distance learning program.

Previously I have been offered a job by a leading bank in Singapore. The company tried to apply an spass for me, however, It was rejected at the very first place. After that the company went for an appeal, however, It was rejected again. At the end, the company terminated my letter of appointment, so currently I'm Jobless.

I was advised to apply for Landed Permanent Resident as I have just graduated on November 2010. What do you all think about my case? Should I go for Landed-PR? Please advice.

I'm looking forward to hear from you all. Your help in this will be greatly appreciated

Regards,
Hsiao
Mr hsiao, i am an indonesian, i graduated from university of Newcastle, Australia, but it is not considered as distance learning as the dean (school representative) is in the institution where i was studying at, PSB Academy.

I have applied for spass at NETS, it was rejected. and now, NETS is still trying to appeal for me. may i know how long it takes for you to know the result of your appeal? because im worried mine will also get rejected (chey!!).

I have tried to seek advice for landed PR, but apparently it is not any better.

While applying for landed PR, the processing time is about 6 months to 1 year, and while in that timeframe, you wont be given any kind of special visa for you to stay in singapore. in manner of speaking, you need to go to your homecountry for that time frame, doing dunno what.

and, my friend also got rejected for his landed PR after waiting around 11 months. so i think, better dont take any chances. maybe its better to apply for epass or spass again. who knows u got lucky. my friend has been approved after 3 appeals submitted. it shows that the company is not giving up on you and really needs you. so i dont think there's any reason why you cant be approved as well. good luck!

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Post by madura » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:44 pm

sand_ste wrote:Mr hsiao, i am an indonesian, i graduated from university of Newcastle, Australia, but it is not considered as distance learning as the dean (school representative) is in the institution where i was studying at, PSB Academy.
It is considered distance learning as long as you did not study for your degree in the australian campus itself.

hsiao

Post by hsiao » Sat, 15 Jan 2011 2:00 am

Hi all,

Thxs for the recommendations, and I'm looking forward to hear more.

@sand_ste: Hi, I'm also an Indonesian. For the appeal, normally it takes about 3-5weeks. in my opinion, it's going to be more difficult for us to get a job as the government has put their attention back to use those locals in mid-age to get a job, especially in services industry. So, wish you luck. Inform me if you have gotten your pass.
Mr Hsiao

sand_ste

Post by sand_ste » Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:10 pm

hsiao wrote:Hi all,

Thxs for the recommendations, and I'm looking forward to hear more.

@sand_ste: Hi, I'm also an Indonesian. For the appeal, normally it takes about 3-5weeks. in my opinion, it's going to be more difficult for us to get a job as the government has put their attention back to use those locals in mid-age to get a job, especially in services industry. So, wish you luck. Inform me if you have gotten your pass.
hi mr hsiao, ok, got it, 3-5 weeks. anyway, you graduated from university of hampfordshire rite, do they wrote it on your gradution certificate:

bachelor of xxxxxx (distance learning)?

hsiao

Post by hsiao » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:31 pm

Hi all,

@sand_ste: No, urs? has ur pass been approved?
Mr Hsiao

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Post by madura » Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:03 pm

sand_ste wrote:hi mr hsiao, ok, got it, 3-5 weeks. anyway, you graduated from university of hampfordshire rite, do they wrote it on your gradution certificate:

bachelor of xxxxxx (distance learning)?
You mentioned that you are a fresh grad. If you spent the last x years in Singapore (and not in Newcastle, Australia), it is pretty obvious that you've obtained your degree by distance learning. They don't have to spell it out.

Besides, I'm sure the government has records that you applied for a student pass while you were studying at PSB Academy - and it would be rather easy to check that PSB Academy offers distance learning degrees.