Singapore Expats

Entry into Singapore: Dual Passport Holders

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Secretly Patriotic

Entry into Singapore: Dual Passport Holders

Post by Secretly Patriotic » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 8:37 am

Guys I need some assistance with the protocol for dealing with Singapore immigration if you are (secretly) a dual passport holder.
I know there are lots of you out there and many have adopted a certain way to get round the rules so as to facilitate the "closing one eye" that immigration staff do to maintain the lovely status quo that Singapore loves so much!

Does one with regards to an Australian and Singapore passport;

A) Quarantined the Singapore passport in Australia and enter Singapore as a foreigner on the Australian passport (assuming a short stay in Singapore)

B) Leave Australia on the Australian passport, enter Singapore on the Singapore passport. Leave Singapore on the Singapore passport and enter Australia on the Australian passport - Problem: Airline check-in agents will want to know your ability to enter Australia with your Singapore passport (anyone with a work around for this problem?)

Your real life experience would be greatly appreciated.

Push comes to shove I'd keep my Australian passport. The Singapore govt cannot remove the Singaporean in me even if they tried! I recalled Goh Chok Tong once saying at a national day rally that people can hang their flags inside (as opposed to outwards display of patriotism) or something to that effect. If they lose me it's their problem, not mine...they did invest thousands into my excellent public(state) education! (which I dutifully paid off through 2.5 years of indentured labour aka NS)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 9:46 am

Nice troll. Do you work for the ISD? :)

Secretly Patriotic

Post by Secretly Patriotic » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 9:57 am

No I do not work for the ISD (Like you would believe me!) But hey I've been out of the country long enough to be naive and to have bought up all the media PR that Singapore is an evolved state!

But seriously, I need help on this...I don't believe its breaking the law as such as the Singapore constitution does not state the automatic loss of citizenship when a foreign one is taken up. There is an element of discretion. So I'm assuming if you work the system you're fine...I recalled a minister responding during question time in parliament some years ago saying that citizens have to actively renunciate citizenship as opposed to a government witch hunt to expose dual passport holders.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:03 am

Ok. Well this site is followed by ISD and no one in their right mind is going to detail how they have circumvented the law.

Duh.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:14 am

Do some research for the poster 'taxico'.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Secretly Patriotic

Post by Secretly Patriotic » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:18 am

Oh I didn't realise this site was monitored by ISD! Thanks for the info.
Thank God I used my hotmail address for the registration process! LOL

I guess the seach for a solution goes underground...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:22 am

Secretly Patriotic wrote:Oh I didn't realise this site was monitored by ISD! Thanks for the info.
Thank God I used my hotmail address for the registration process! LOL

I guess the seach for a solution goes underground...
er.... it's Singapore!

Doh! :)

Secretly Patriotic

Post by Secretly Patriotic » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:32 am

I told you I've been out of the country for too long and naive enough to think things have changed...I guess suing journalist does help to foster better media PR in the long term...even the BBC is towing the line!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 5:04 pm

Secretly Patriotic wrote:I told you I've been out of the country for too long and naive enough to think things have changed...I guess suing journalist does help to foster better media PR in the long term...even the BBC is towing the line!
Better in a relevant sense maybe. Some time ago I did a search on 'Singapore' on the BBC, NYTimes and 2 or 3 of the big UK papers. As I recall all I got returned were travel articles which seem to largely rave about the food.

As you suggest publications seem to nervous about touching upon any other aspect of life in SG. I suspect that that is just how the government like it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 13 Jan 2011 5:13 pm

Secretly Patriotic wrote:I told you I've been out of the country for too long and naive enough to think things have changed...I guess suing journalist does help to foster better media PR in the long term...even the BBC is towing the line!
That's the price people pay for economic progress.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."