Singapore Expats

Buying a Laptop without Windows

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
nakatago

Buying a Laptop without Windows

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 4:03 pm

Just wondering since Dell does it in the states...can you buy a laptop here in Singapore WITHOUT Windows? I tried looking for/asking Dell about it a few years ago and they said no. A quick web search seems to say 'no.' Chatting with Dell reps also say 'no.' I'd like to be proven wrong, of course.

I don't use Windows at home anymore and obviously, I don't want to pay for something I don't use.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 6:38 pm

Yes.

It's called a Mac.

Sorry, other than that I can't help but you left the door open (sorry, window) and I had to crawl through. The only thing might be a reasonably new second hand unit from some of the dealers in Sim Lim for example.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 7:08 pm

technically you can because you are given a choice to either except or decline the EULA.

have a read here - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/19 ... ux_refund/

print it out and show it to dell. :P :D

p/s i wonder if the same can be done for apple mac if i dowan OSX? :wink:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 7:13 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Yes.

It's called a Mac.

Sorry, other than that I can't help but you left the door open (sorry, window) and I had to crawl through. The only thing might be a reasonably new second hand unit from some of the dealers in Sim Lim for example.
Ha, ha, smart guy. If macs were an option, I wouldn't be looking for non-windows machines. The point is, get a laptop, don't pay for the windows tax because another non-windows, non-mac OS will be installed. And no, second hand is not an option.

@durain: yeah, I know about that. But it took the guy two months! And this being Singapore...

And just for fun, I messed around with Dell's chat. I doubt anything will happen but I wanted some amusement:
01/06/2011 03:56:56PM URL Shown: "http://www.dell.com.sg/"
01/06/2011 03:57:06PM System: "Thank you for choosing Chat to assist you in making your purchase. A Dell Chat Expert will be with you shortly."
01/06/2011 03:57:25PM Session Started with Agent
01/06/2011 03:57:44PM nakatago: "hello"
01/06/2011 03:57:59PM Agent : "Good afternoon"
01/06/2011 03:58:14PM nakatago: "I was wondering if I could buy a laptop WITHOUT windows"
01/06/2011 03:58:35PM nakatago: "I gather that is possible in the US but here?"
01/06/2011 03:59:17PM Agent : "MY and SG only sell the system with Window"
01/06/2011 04:00:00PM nakatago: "why? can't you just not install it when an order is put together?"
01/06/2011 04:00:17PM nakatago: "you gotta admit it, it's ludicrous to pay for something you don't want, need or won't use"
01/06/2011 04:01:10PM Agent : "Sorry to inform that we had fix the PO in Asia Pac, so it's not possible for us to remove it."
01/06/2011 04:01:30PM nakatago: "PO?"
01/06/2011 04:01:45PM Agent : "Our order configuration"
01/06/2011 04:01:53PM Agent : "is fix in Asia Pac"
01/06/2011 04:02:41PM nakatago: "but isn't Dell touting configurability? if we can choose the hardware, leaving out the OS is a trivial thing"
01/06/2011 04:03:36PM Agent : "we may have the DOS version in the future but not at this moment."
01/06/2011 04:03:46PM Agent : "will feedback this to brand team"
01/06/2011 04:05:55PM nakatago: "will it be possible for that to be an option for all products? a growing number of people would rather not use windows but get Dell hardware"
01/06/2011 04:07:31PM Agent : "Appreciate on your feedback, will pass the message to our brand team"
01/06/2011 04:08:07PM nakatago: "ok thanks"
Yeah, my life is boring.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 7:43 pm

tell the agent you not gonna except the EULA, therefore you wont be using the OS. also send the URL from my previous post to them. just to keep it more interesting, tell them you gonna install hackintosh on it, hence you dont need windows OS.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 8:29 pm

The Acer netbook I bought a couple of years ago was Linux-based. It came complete with Linux' version of Office so I could work on it straight away. The MS-based Acer netbook cost $100 more and I would have had to buy MS Word (and then figure out how to install it...)

I don't know if Acer offer a Linux-based laptop anymore but it might be worth checking out.

Even as complete Apple fan, I have to say that the Linux-based netbook is awesome - starts up in about 15 seconds. Shuts down even faster.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 8:52 pm

durain wrote:tell the agent you not gonna except the EULA, therefore you wont be using the OS. also send the URL from my previous post to them. just to keep it more interesting, tell them you gonna install hackintosh on it, hence you dont need windows OS.
Hmmm...if I get bored enough tomorrow, I'll try that on the rep. Ask them if they'll give me a refund if I don't accept the EULA and MS says I am entitled to a refund if I return the OS :P

@Addadude: I'm currently using an Acer that came with Vista and when I bought it, the first thing I did (after backing up) when I got home was install Ubuntu on it. I broke my Windows boot up but since I barely use Windows (I only used it to play Street Fighter 4), I never bothered to fix it. Partition's still fine, though. The only non-linux software I need is Adobe Photoshop but wine takes care of that.

Acer did use to offer laptops with linux but they only sell those in third-world countries. I tried looking and asking for these machines here in Singers but they just told me all their laptops have Windows installed.

It would seem that Singapore retailers would only cater to the least common denominator, given the country's small population and penchant for "popular things."

I never bothered with Macs since I find them too expensive and knowing I could get the same caliber hardware for less money. Warranties and support beyond a year have never been an issue for me.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:32 am

When Asus first released their netbooks, it was running on Linux. Now their netbooks are on Windows 7 Starter. :(

Can't you just build a VM where you can run Linux in? I recently got an Ubuntu VM which I use in my Windows laptop. Then when I need to run some Windows-based specialized apps on that Ubuntu I use Wine. Don't ask me, it's complicated. It's for a lab set-up. :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 7:31 am

Asian_Geekette wrote:When Asus first released their netbooks, it was running on Linux. Now their netbooks are on Windows 7 Starter. :(

Can't you just build a VM where you can run Linux in? I recently got an Ubuntu VM which I use in my Windows laptop. Then when I need to run some Windows-based specialized apps on that Ubuntu I use Wine. Don't ask me, it's complicated. It's for a lab set-up. :P
Thing is, I don't want windows and I don't want to pay for it. When available, laptops with no windows are less expensive. Why pay for something you don't want?

jackdi

Re: Buying a Laptop without Windows

Post by jackdi » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 5:25 pm

nakatago wrote:Just wondering since Dell does it in the states...can you buy a laptop here in Singapore WITHOUT Windows? I tried looking for/asking Dell about it a few years ago and they said no. A quick web search seems to say 'no.' Chatting with Dell reps also say 'no.' I'd like to be proven wrong, of course.

I don't use Windows at home anymore and obviously, I don't want to pay for something I don't use.
I got the same feeling.
I'd like mine with Linux.
a Jack of All Trade

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 9:58 pm

There is nothing right now on the market I am aware of, last one probably being the mentioned Eeepc. You can buy WRT-54GL or some mikrotek stuff hook up a terminal over the serial and have a small pc with an embedded Linux :)
Look at it as a functionality you are not going to use, 7ch sound or WOR socket in the regular pc MB. Surely it is a more expensive gadget but the case where you do not use 2/3 of the functions is very common.

jackdi

Post by jackdi » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:17 am

By the way... i just remembered.
There got a MACBOOK PROMO in Singtel right now.
S$88 a month.
Might want to check it out.

:cool:
a Jack of All Trade