Singapore Expats

EntrePass visa (Q1) approved -- Indonesia/Singapore commute?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dmorris99

EntrePass visa (Q1) approved -- Indonesia/Singapore commute?

Post by dmorris99 » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 7:32 am

Hi all,

I am a UK national and I have had a 2Y EntrePass visa approved (Q1 type). This is to start a new local business in Singapore. My wife is Indonesian and is currently living with me in UK.

Now, I would like it if my wife could come with me to Singapore, but she would much prefer to live in Indonesia, her home country.

So, she tells me that Batam island is very close! Of course, she can stay there without limit and she can travel to Singapore periodically on 30D visit pass, right?

So my question is: is there any problem with me commuting, perhaps on daily basis, from Batam island to Singapore for work? If it goes to plan, I would commute back and forth each day or two. My concern is that my visa type may not allow this? I certainly hope that is not the case, but I would hugely appreciate any experienced input on this.

Many thanks to all in advance,
D.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 8:30 am

If you are worried about trying to get a visa for your wife to stay in Singapore, she'll be able to get a Dependant's Pass which is linked to your EntrePass.

dmorris99

Post by dmorris99 » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 8:39 am

Hi Saint,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually more worried about me commuting (worst case: maybe as frequently as every day) from Sing to Indonesia.

Would I keep getting silly amount of passport stamps?!

Would Singapore customs take a dim view on this?

I am actually about to phone MOM to see what help they can provide on this point. Basically, I'd like to live in Batam and go to the office in Singapore.

I'm assuming that my Q1 EntrePass visa would allow me to enter and leave Singapore as many times as a like for the duration of the visa's validity? I hear / read that it is not totally uncommon to commute to/from Indonesia/Sing, I guess my concern is more around whether or not this is do-able on Q1 EntrePass visa, and the actual logistics of crossing borders very frequently...

thanks again,
D.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:52 am

dmorris99 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I was actually more worried about me commuting (worst case: maybe as frequently as every day) from Sing to Indonesia. Would I keep getting silly amount of passport stamps?!
Absolutely, and they charge US$25 a pop for on-arrival visas now too (no more US$10 visa). You'll definitely want to get a 1-year business visa, but even then you'll get stamped in and out of Indo. (Sing will not stamp you once you have a long-term visa.)
They couldn't care less, you're allowed to stay in Singapore.
The actual logistics of crossing borders very frequently...
It would get pretty painful to do every day. The ferry trip is only around 30 min, but you can easily spend twice that waiting around in immigration and customs lines. And at around S$47 return (excluding visa) the cost isn't entirely trivial either.

Most people in your situation end up either bringing their wife over (as said, getting a dependent's pass shouldn't be a problem), or commuting only on the weekends.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:54 am

dmorris99 wrote:Hi Saint,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually more worried about me commuting (worst case: maybe as frequently as every day) from Sing to Indonesia.

The ferry journey from Batam to Harbour Front takes about 45 minutes each way and costs about S$40 return.

Would I keep getting silly amount of passport stamps?!

Depends on what type of Indonesia visa you can get but if you are going to enter as a visitor each time you'll have to get a VOA which is valid for 30 days and costs US$25 but you'll have to get a new VOA every time you enter. An Indonesia looks very pretty but it takes up a whole page of your passport so you'd fill up your passport within a couple of months! So you might want to consider trying to get some sort of long stay visa

Customs wouldn't and can't see why Immigrations would either

I am actually about to phone MOM to see what help they can provide on this point. Basically, I'd like to live in Batam and go to the office in Singapore.

I'm assuming that my Q1 EntrePass visa would allow me to enter and leave Singapore as many times as a like for the duration of the visa's validity? I hear / read that it is not totally uncommon to commute to/from Indonesia/Sing, I guess my concern is more around whether or not this is do-able on Q1 EntrePass visa, and the actual logistics of crossing borders very frequently...

You can leave and enter as many times as you like, it's the Indonesian visa which could be an logistical nightmare
thanks again,
D.

dmorris99

Post by dmorris99 » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 1:20 am

THanks guys...

Yes, I was looking at 1Y biz visa today -- seems that's what I need for multiple re/entry, right? Anybody got any experience of that one, e.g. how long it takes, etc.?

One final question: I think I can also apply for KITAS -- if I had that, could I come and go from Indonesia multiple times without being stamped?

thanks again to all,
D.

dmorris99

Post by dmorris99 » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 1:27 am

ah sorry wrong forum for those last questions maybe ;)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 05 Feb 2010 1:58 am

dmorris99 wrote:THanks guys...

Yes, I was looking at 1Y biz visa today -- seems that's what I need for multiple re/entry, right? Anybody got any experience of that one, e.g. how long it takes, etc.?

One final question: I think I can also apply for KITAS -- if I had that, could I come and go from Indonesia multiple times without being stamped?

thanks again to all,
D.
You can get the one year visa with a sponsoring business in Batam. In my case, it is my golf course, of which I am a member. Once you have this in hand you can apply for the electronic card, which, if you really intend to commute on a daily basis, will be an absolute necessity to get through immigration in Batam.

dmorris99

Post by dmorris99 » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 8:01 am

Hi Strong Eagle

thanks again for the information: I knew that Singapore issued their EntrePass in the form of an electronic card, but are you saying that it is also possible to get a similar electronic card from Indonesia? Does this have a specific name that I should ask for? I thought that 1Y multi-entry Indonesian biz or social passes took the form of paper stamp in passport -- I'd definately want to get an electronic pass if at all possible. Please do let me know if this has a specific term or name, as I'll make a note of it to follow up!

thanks again,
D.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 9:49 am

If you stay in Batam and commute daily, you have, in my opinion, the worst of both worlds, in addition to hazzle, (ferry and visa) costs and countless hours wasted back and forth.
Batam isn't Indonesia as you might know it. Most of the island some kind of industrial wasteland laid bare by reckless developers and investors. There's no culture and very little to do (other than pubs and brothels frequented by Singaporean visitors). It's damn expensive by Indonesian standards (although still cheaper than Singapore) and comes with heavy doses of the usual Indonesian chaos and corruption.
I worked there for 1.5 years and only stayed sane because I had another home (and spent all weekends) in Singapore.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:26 am

dmorris99 wrote:Hi Strong Eagle

thanks again for the information: I knew that Singapore issued their EntrePass in the form of an electronic card, but are you saying that it is also possible to get a similar electronic card from Indonesia? Does this have a specific name that I should ask for? I thought that 1Y multi-entry Indonesian biz or social passes took the form of paper stamp in passport -- I'd definately want to get an electronic pass if at all possible. Please do let me know if this has a specific term or name, as I'll make a note of it to follow up!

thanks again,
D.
You can get a card that works both in Batam Center and at Nongsa.

Can't remember the name but if you're in at Nongsa you'll see it advertised. Whomever gets you your business visa should know about the automated card.

Some general info

http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html

ZATraders

Re: EntrePass visa (Q1) approved -- Indonesia/Singapore comm

Post by ZATraders » Sat, 08 Jan 2011 11:02 pm

Hi Dear
Would you please tell me about the complete legal details of Q1 type Visa, Who apply Whom, shall we also start business with this VISA.

Regards
Zahid

[quote="dmorris99"]Hi all,

I am a UK national and I have had a 2Y EntrePass visa approved (Q1 type). This is to start a new local business in Singapore. My wife is Indonesian and is currently living with me in UK.

Now, I would like it if my wife could come with me to Singapore, but she would much prefer to live in Indonesia, her home country.

So, she tells me that Batam island is very close! Of course, she can stay there without limit and she can travel to Singapore periodically on 30D visit pass, right?

So my question is: is there any problem with me commuting, perhaps on daily basis, from Batam island to Singapore for work? If it goes to plan, I would commute back and forth each day or two. My concern is that my visa type may not allow this? I certainly hope that is not the case, but I would hugely appreciate any experienced input on this.

Many thanks to all in advance,
D.[/quote]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Jan 2011 12:19 am

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers