Singapore Expats

American driving license

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
noodlemama

American driving license

Post by noodlemama » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 6:11 pm

Any advice would be helpful!!

I am a long-term expat who forgot to renew driving license more than a decade ago. In addition have a son who is starting college in August in the states. He was born here and we are not a resident of any state due to obvious tax reasons.

Any chance of either of us obtaining a US driving license? Would also need to get insurance. Has anyone been in this situation? I have a Singapore license.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 6:14 pm

Frankly, I'm in the same situation. Only it's been over 20 years since I renewed my US license. Haven't yet decided what to do either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 7:13 pm

Why would you need a US licencse if you live in SG?
The only thing to do is to look up on the DOT and find out what you can do. Maybe you can do it online providing they have your SSN. You will need to provide them with an address of course. Phone a friend.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 7:18 pm

Are you saying that driving licence is not valid for your lifetime? Your driving test will still be held on record and should be traceable.

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 7:26 pm

ksl wrote:Are you saying that driving licence is not valid for your lifetime? Your driving test will still be held on record and should be traceable.
It depends what state your license was issued.

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 7:39 pm

As for your son, I'm sure if he is stamped in the country for longer than 6 months he will be able to take his driving test. I remember the rules changing back in 08. Again, this could differ from state to state.

noodlemama

Post by noodlemama » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks for this.

longstebe - good points, but I did look at the DOT website and can't find anything that applies to someone in my situation. I want a US license as I won't be living in Singapore my whole life and have to get one at some point anyway.

I have time this summer to take on this project. The state where I now vacation is not the same state where my previous license was from. I guess who I really need to ask is a tax person. From what I can gleam from the DOT website is that I need to be a resident. If I claim residency in order to obtain a driving license, then does that mean I have to pay state tax? I own property there so I could claim residency.

I also think that for my son, he would have to do the six-month wait. But I don’t know that for sure because he is not shifting state residency as he doesn’t have any right now. He would be establishing one for the first time…

All these things to deal with. Not easy when you are an American, but yet not...

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 12:57 pm

It has nothing to do with a tax person. What about sending the DOT an email? You dont need to be a resident. The criteria for a TX driving licence is stamped in the country for longer than 6 months with a visa to back it up for non citizens and a forwarding address so they can send it to you.
I don't know what your state requirements are.
Why not wait untill you move back permanatley?
Last edited by longstebe on Thu, 06 Jan 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 1:05 pm

As an onlooker here, can I ask why having a US driving license is so important to you given you do not live there? If your current one has expired why not retake the test as necessary?

re: your son, since it appears he has never lived in the US, surely he just needs to take his test?

I'm clearly missing something here... :?

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 1:19 pm

JR8 wrote:As an onlooker here, can I ask why having a US driving license is so important to you given you do not live there? If your current one has expired why not retake the test as necessary?

re: your son, since it appears he has never lived in the US, surely he just needs to take his test?

I'm clearly missing something here... :?
All states have different rules for some reason.
The OP may not have to take his driving test again, it could be case of an eyesight check and new photo.
As for his son, he will need his visa with him to take his driving and theory test.

JR8, you know what the yanks are like. :lol:

Example, a Texas driving licence lasts for 6 years then you have to go back the test center and get your eyesight checked.
Arizona licence is good untill you reach the grand old age of 65, however old you may be when you take your test.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 1:46 pm

Yah misser Stebe, but why the earnest need to have a driving license for a country in which you don't/have never lived? And in which case, just go and take the test.

Like I said, I'm missing something...

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 2:03 pm

No mate, your not missing anything.

I can't say anything though, I have a UK license and don't live there or intend to live there.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 2:08 pm

No I know you're not, but why are they all clamouring for driving licenses?

:???:

time for medicine, nurse, and rest now...

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 2:20 pm

You would need to transfer your expired license to the new state license. Different states have rules on how long it's been expired and retaking your road test. You will most certainly have to take the written test for that state. It may also tie in to being called for jury duty so make sure whatever address you use someone is there to tick the box that says you don't reside in the country.

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 3:01 pm

OP, I never said your son would have to wait 6 months before he could get a licence, just as long as he holds a visa for at least 6 months. He would be able to take his test right away. This all has nothing to do with tax or claiming residencey.