Singapore Expats

Applying EP for my first employee

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
dp solutions

Applying EP for my first employee

Post by dp solutions » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 1:03 am

I'm currently register my biz as a sole pro and will commence on the coming 8th December 2010.
Yesterday i had register an EP pass for my first employee through EPOL but was not approval.
(He have the EPEC and fullfill the requirement for EP.)

And i was checked back the application print out.
I miss out to fill in the (paid up capital). Is it because of this they didn't approve?
Is a must to fill up the paid-up capital?

What can i do now?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 1:10 am

If you are a sole proprietorship, and you are trying to hire a foreigner without any existing track record with IRAS then you are wasting your time. If the applicant was holding an EPEC, then you will have to hire local for at least one year or more until you can show IRAS that your company is a viable one. Oh, there is no paid up capital in a Sole Proprientorship, which is another reason why they rejected your application for a foreigner in a startup.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 6:34 pm

To add - there are a few guidelines at the MOM site for EP Appn: some of the items, apart from the before mentioned include: minimum capital, local representation etc. etc.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:26 am

I have a question of a similar vein and didn't want to start a new thread.

If I wanted to employ a family member that has been on a dependents pass to run a SP would I need to register them as Director or can I just apply for EP?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 12:59 pm

InTheBlue wrote:I have a question of a similar vein and didn't want to start a new thread.

If I wanted to employ a family member that has been on a dependents pass to run a SP would I need to register them as Director or can I just apply for EP?
SP's don't have directors.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 1:15 pm

OK. Turn the organisation into a partnership and add the family member as a partner was what I should have asked if I didn't want that answer. :)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 10:05 pm

InTheBlue wrote:I have a question of a similar vein and didn't want to start a new thread.

Need more information. If a 'family member' has a DP, then some other family member holds the EP that supports the DP.

Anyone, including the the DP can register a SP. The EP cannot work for the SP. The DP can work for the SP with only an LOC. See other threads here and in careers about the LOC.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 8:46 am

Strong Eagle - Here is the question I should have asked. :)

I am employed in Singapore. My wife is on a dependents pass. I have set up a company (currently sole prop but can be Ltd). I would like my wife to work for the company and consequently have a work permit.

What is the best route to do this?

Thanks

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:52 pm

InTheBlue wrote:Strong Eagle - Here is the question I should have asked. :)

I am employed in Singapore. My wife is on a dependents pass. I have set up a company (currently sole prop but can be Ltd). I would like my wife to work for the company and consequently have a work permit.

What is the best route to do this?

Thanks
LOC. No other work permit required.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 1:33 pm

OK, looked at other posts and have downloaded LOC from MOM so thanks for your help. :)