Singapore Expats

Drink driving

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
tlim69

Drink driving

Post by tlim69 » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 5:40 pm

Does anyone know what the penalties are for drink driving in Singapore? Is it classified as a criminal or traffic offence?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Drink driving

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 5:51 pm

tlim69 wrote:Does anyone know what the penalties are for drink driving in Singapore? Is it classified as a criminal or traffic offence?
Traffic Police would like to remind the public that drink driving is a very serious offence and the penalties are severe. Even if the driver's alcohol content in his blood or breath does not go beyond the legal limit, he can still be charged for drink driving if he is unable to control his vehicle properly. Drink drivers, on conviction, will be disqualified from driving for at least 12 months, which would, in effect, invalidate their driving licences. In addition, first-time offenders can be fined between $1,000 and $5,000, or jailed up to 6 months, while repeat offenders may be punished with a maximum fine of $30,000 and a mandatory jail term of up to 3 years. They may also be caned up to six strokes should death or serious injury be caused.
http://www.spf.gov.sg/mic/2010/100618_ringfencingop.htm

They pretty serious on this stuff. I would suggest if you do have a penchant for having the occasional one too many (and it less here than at home) you don't even think about getting a vehicle for personal use here. Use taxi's or public transport.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tlim69

Post by tlim69 » Fri, 24 Dec 2010 8:34 am

Fully agree... Saw that in some countries, it's classified as criminal offence, and traffic offence in others. Was wondering what it is in Singapore.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Dec 2010 9:02 am

Well, I don't. If someone kills or seriously injures somebody while drunk driving few strokes of cane and mandatory jail sentence up to 3 years sounds like a joke.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 7:12 pm

tlim69 wrote:Does anyone know what the penalties are for drink driving in Singapore? Is it classified as a criminal or traffic offence?
I am late to your party, but, pray, can you enlighten me - why would somebody drink and drive knowing it is wrong ?? and can lead to suspension, criminal conviction and even shaming in public ?? :confused: :confused:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 8:35 pm

So if you are late to the party and the answer is already given...... :???: :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:48 am

ecureilx wrote:
I am late to your party, but, pray, can you enlighten me - why would somebody drink and drive knowing it is wrong ?? and can lead to suspension, criminal conviction and even shaming in public ?? :confused: :confused:
I drink... under the limit... and competently operate my vehicle. What's the big deal?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:22 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I drink... under the limit... and competently operate my vehicle. What's the big deal?
There is no big deal. In 2001, before they tightened the law, after a couple beer, while driving back home, near Alexandra road, a guy slammed into my car from behind, and we called the cops.

The cops arrived, and checked, and while they knew it was not my fault, and though I was not smelling badly of beer, I was given a verbal warning - "Singapore Traffic Police can charge you for drunken driving, even if you are below the legal limit, if you are involved in a accident, even if you are the innocent party, you can still be charged for intoxicated and such intoxication could have led to slower responses from the driver" or something like that ..

Nah - I am not exaggerating - this is akin to the law where you can smoke in your car while driving, but the cops can charge you if they want to, as the law says "both hands must be on the wheel except to change gear or signal, and holding a cigarette in one hand deprives you of the use of one such hand "

Savvy ???? :D

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:19 pm

I wonder how many pints of beer would it take to get to the legal limit.

I tried searching on the web and got this link:
http://www.mycarforum.com/lofiversion/i ... 05544.html

which has all sorts of funny stuff but no exact answer.

Anyways I love riding much much more than drinking so wouldn't want risk my precious 2B license. Still 6 months to go before I can apply for the 2A. Would want to remain a good law abiding citizen,errr resident until then :cool:
Last edited by revhappy on Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:25 pm

There are dozens calculators on the web, just use google. Here is one of them:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/bloodalcolevelcalc.html

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 2:13 pm

Although it is serious and not too smart to drink and drive, it does appear to me that most of my Singaporean colleagues totally ignore this law!

There aren't many traffic police and very few, if any, random checks.

That aside, could you live with yourself if you had a crash and hurt someone after drinking. It's not the law that will make you miserable for the rest of your life, it's your conscience!

bigcoffee

Post by bigcoffee » Fri, 13 May 2011 4:31 pm

Lethal combination. They don't mix am sure.
Coffee lover.

ptrlee

Post by ptrlee » Thu, 19 May 2011 7:54 pm

This is a non-compoundable offense in singapore.
for first time, you will be fine up to $5000 or 6 months imprisonment and your license revoked.
If got caught second time, court can charge you $10,000 or 1 year imprisonment and your license revoked.
With tougher laws you can expect the worst.
Singapore Work Permit

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 May 2011 10:16 pm

tic....toc....tic.....toc......

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 20 May 2011 12:33 pm

InTheBlue wrote: There aren't many traffic police and very few, if any, random checks.
That's been my observation as well, however I have come across quite a number of expats who have been caught. TP must lurk somewhere.