Singapore Expats

Ask for your opinion about my work

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
levin343

Ask for your opinion about my work

Post by levin343 » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:36 pm

Hi!

I just started working and now it has been four months. This week has been pretty tough and rough. My boss gave me a task that is completely out of the blue with the input coming from my senior. I was making a few mistakes like, taking a wrong number and may forget to fill certain stuff or just not being initiative enough. but even though I have taken more initiative sometimes things are a bit messy:
1. Some people also give me a wrong data
2 . I have not touched the work before and therefore somehow I am a bit clueless and dont even take a pride on the job
3. My boss asked me some data that are completely are not in my hand and each time he tested me he feels it is incorrect and even when I corrected it in the end he is going to change it too = =
4. My boss is completely insane - making me work late until 9pm during the Christmas eve
5. My senior mess up the excel sheet and do not even include a large expenses making the whole cost wrong lol

In the end I did not really like this job and make few error mistakes, but my boss scold me pretty badly like - he always complains if I miss little stuff (really little and sometimes I really dont know) and he makes a joke of me - like I will be a person that make others have a reason not to do a good job - OMG - I am surprised he say that for a simple wrong mistake which in the first place I am not familiar with.

I really want to quit right now, I feel like this is not the job that I want to do, it is boring, clueless, and I dont know what I am doing. I hate it when I did mistakes while at the same time I dont even have a clue in the first place since I did not even have any guidance and even more, time to understand the whole thing. I hate it!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 5:27 am

Herein lies the problem that many FTs went thru.

You are desperate to get a job here
You failed to contemplate and understanding the working culture in SG. Hence it is culture shock for you.
The employer knows how to play the game well and you are at the mercy of the employer

The options are

1. If you leave the job, you may end up with no work for a long time and your pass might be revoke by then as job is very scarce right now.
2. You continue working with the employer, you will be tormented, abuse , ridicule and humiliated for all the wrong reasons.

Solution
1. Quit and go back to your home country and never return

OR.
2. Hold on to this job and look for a better one. Once you got a new job . You can tell the current employer, kiss my #ss and say goodbye
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Muslima70
Regular
Regular

Post by Muslima70 » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:05 am

i agree with mad scientist...try to stick with the job...

It doesn't matter whether you are local or ex-pat...please , please believe..nasty bosses exist in all parts of the world...

Even bad job experiences do offer you an opportunity to learn, so don't give up. Plus it will look better on your resume rather than if you quit the job now. Besides you are still getting paid right? If they not paying on time, then you have right to complain to MOM and sue them, or something...

just stick with it..do your best...and when you get a better job you will be able to leave. and you will be proud of yourself for not letting them bully you into quitting.

Meanhwhile try to get some friends and people around you who will give you moral support and help you de-stress when you are away from the office.

take care and all the best :)
Salam(peace be with you)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:09 pm

Hang in there until something new turns up, and move on.

levin343

Post by levin343 » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks all for your advice

The harder things that I have right now is that

1. I am going for interviews lots of time
2. And because of that I have been on leave or urgent leave from the office for many times with all the reasons that I have

I bet my boss has notice this behavior lately, and what I am afraid of is that he would rather sack me off before I even tender in my resignation letter.

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:27 am

Don't let the idiot grind you down. Keep smiling and acknowledge your mistakes.