Singapore Expats

Mold everywhere in condo and break the tenant agreement

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
singasian

Mold everywhere in condo and break the tenant agreement

Post by singasian » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 3:34 pm

I have very serious mold problem in my condo. It suddenly starts to growing on furniture, sofa, dinning table, tea table, desk, chairs, even food due to high humidity in the unit. I even see the living room floor wet in the morning. Landload came 3 times to see it. But, it still there.

I am wondering if i can move out without paying any fees?. I have lived here only for 4 months in 2 years lease.

Search By

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 5:13 pm

In this climate you will practically always get mold if you have insufficient ventilation. Perhaps this is the case, plus it's been raining regularly for a good while and this probably also contributed to your problem. Try to keep some windows open all the time if possible.
I do not think you should break the lease as this is not black and white case at all.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 5:47 pm

Actually, it would be a good test case here. Consider the fact that after Hurricane Isabella a number of years ago, where the middle east coast of the US was flooded badly, homes were getting mold growing everywhere not just mold but Black Mold which is toxic. If the place seems to not be able to rid itself of it and the LL doesn't engage someone to try, I think it may well be grounds for termination of a lease as it could be considered inhabitable. Different people may have different sensitivities to mold spores of any type. Might be worth talking to somebody with some legal knowledge though as I don't have a clue where you could go, short of going to a lawyer (costs though). At any rate, you have a problem.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, it would be a good test case here. Consider the fact that after Hurricane Isabella a number of years ago, where the middle east coast of the US was flooded badly, homes were getting mold growing everywhere not just mold but Black Mold which is toxic. If the place seems to not be able to rid itself of it and the LL doesn't engage someone to try, I think it may well be grounds for termination of a lease as it could be considered inhabitable. Different people may have different sensitivities to mold spores of any type. Might be worth talking to somebody with some legal knowledge though as I don't have a clue where you could go, short of going to a lawyer (costs though). At any rate, you have a problem.
Mold is definitely a health hazard!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 2:02 am

Don't get me started on mold in Singapore.

The amopunt of stuff we had to throw out, even our oak bed.

Now half a world away I am reminded every time I open a CD to see mold spots all ovcer it.

It is kin gross! Destructive and expensive. If asked what was the biggest reason I'd not want to go back to SG, it would probably be general and utter setruction of all my belongings....

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 8:21 pm

I have to say, I've not seen a single mold spot in my apartment but it's probably due using air con rather than keeping our windows open.

Some of my friends complain of mold on the clothes they've stored in their wardrobes, and another friend of ours who lives in the same complex says that all his photos on his walls have been ruined by the humidity and gone curlly, however I know that they do not use their air con but leave the doors and windows open instead.
Last edited by snowqueen on Sun, 11 Jul 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:30 pm

Air con used only in the bedrooms at night, sometimes while we watch TV in living room. Otherwise, always open air... and no mold problems ever.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 11 Jul 2010 8:45 am

At the beginning of our stay here we left for Europe in December for 2-3 weeks. We closed all the windows before and back in Singapore it was a disaster. Mold, often thick practically everywhere. Later, every time we left for longer periods we just kept one window partly open with no further nasty mold surprises.
Aircon definitely helps lowering temp. and dehumidifying at the same time but it simply adds to your electricity bills. Another factor is light. Brighter the place, less chances for the mold so it also depends on the apartment itself.
There are places like the wardrobe closets where we have some mold very often.

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Sun, 11 Jul 2010 9:46 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Air con used only in the bedrooms at night, sometimes while we watch TV in living room. Otherwise, always open air... and no mold problems ever.
Same here. Sounds like OP might have a case.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:38 am

missis wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Air con used only in the bedrooms at night, sometimes while we watch TV in living room. Otherwise, always open air... and no mold problems ever.
OP did not say anything about her/his in-flat living habits.

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Sun, 11 Jul 2010 1:21 pm

x9200 wrote:
missis wrote:
OP did not say anything about her/his in-flat living habits.
Indeed, I'm one of those fortunate (I guess) to have never had a mold problem. Aircon on half the time, windows only open when cooking, windows closed for a few days at any one time when traveling. Another point not mentioned before, is that I know some people air-dry their clothes indoors. I think this contributes significantly to the interior humidity!

How would one's living habit effect a mold problem? From the landlord's point of view, he might turn it around on you. Are your neighbors also facing a similar problem?
It's common sense - if you try to come in before I go out, I can't go out. And you can't come in! Lose-lose!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:53 pm

Our problem was extreme.

In the main rooms we had pairs of windows that opened outwards, and above that ones that opened upwards at an angle. (Bathrooms had just the upper ones)

Almost all of these were permanently open. Not fully open, but significantly more than just 'ajar', even when we were on holiday. Another two sets of windows in the kitchen were always open, and all doors were kept open. There was only only window in the kitchen that we used to close when we went out due to the risk of rain getting in.

It wasn't just mold be had a problem with but rust as well. For example the chromed steel handle/tube on the vacuum, the plate rack, the clothes horse all developed rust spots. The blackened steel spikes in the feet on my hi-fi rack and speaker stands all went rusty, and so on and so on. Pretty damned grim!

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Mon, 20 Dec 2010 1:55 pm

Well, in Singapore, if you stay below the tree line, (6 floor and below) you should keep the windows closed,
if above the line, it is ok to keep it open.

Before you move into a newly rental or purchased unit / house, you should get a mold guy in to inspect the place first.
I would normally get the place disinfected, before i move in.

Air-conditioning fan coils should be checked for mold infections, take note that "chemical cleaning" by the air con guy is NOT disinfection.
The fan coils are the most conducive place in the home or office where the molds will thrive.

Leaking pipes / plumbing in the false ceilings, should be disinfected, before and after the pipes / false ceiling are changed.

Painting over a moldy spot is a BAD idea, always remember that the protein in paint is a food source for molds, and that molds will remain in a domain stage, and will spring to live, when the conditions are conducive - Damp with moisture / bad ventilation / condensation.

Closing the bathroom room door / open the bathroom ventalation windows after a hot shower, into the bedroom will help stop condensation from happening.

In case there is no way to keep moisture out, get a correct area dehumidifier in that room, KEEP DRY.

Use separate footwear, for your outings, indoor use and balcony / patio use. Do not go barefoot into your patio / outdoor and back into your home. You might be bringing the mold in to your home.

Remember that Asia is humid, you would have to live accordingly.

and that all mold problems can be solved.

My 2 cents, hope it helps... (local guy)

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:05 pm

HDB flats have very good light and ventilation because they have ventilation on both the front and rear of the apt. So is this mold a condo thing?

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 7:49 pm

Hi Revhappy,
Mold is everywhere, not only for condos but can be found in HDB apartments as well,
Molds in the outdoors are fine and natural, like in the forest / woods.. where the break down everything from dead trees, plastics, animals / insects....etc
But should not be in homes / offices (indoors)
They are micro organisms, not visible to the naked eye, unless through a optical micro scope are you able to see them.
but when these organisms reproduce in large numbers, so large until we can see them, this is called an infection.