Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
SIAWannabe

Post by SIAWannabe » Sun, 19 Dec 2010 7:27 pm

I ADMIRE everyone that went for the interview as it really takes alot of courage to go and take a step to fulfill your dreams. Those that got booted out, i also got booted out from a silkair interview and i am more determined and confident of passing the next interview. Dont give up! Just wanna ask some questions.
1) CC have to report 2 hours before the take off time right?
2) Do stewardess still have to wear the covered shoes in flight or is it the sandles all the way.
3) Do stewardess have to change into a new uniform before touch down.

i have some idea but my "uncle" confused me with his "knowledge". So i need some reassurance. Thanks :)
Dreams can come true :)

kinderjoy
Regular
Regular

=)

Post by kinderjoy » Sun, 19 Dec 2010 8:46 pm

SIAWannabe wrote:1) CC have to report 2 hours before the take off time right?
2) Do stewardess still have to wear the covered shoes in flight or is it the sandles all the way.
3) Do stewardess have to change into a new uniform before touch down.
1) yes, we have to report 2 hrs before departure for briefing. in fact we will have to be slightly earlier for our briefing.
2) FSS MUST to change to covered shoes before take off and before landing. after take off and after landing, we will change back to sandles. However, is optional to wear covered shoes during service.
3)no. FSS do not need to change to new set of uniform b4 touch down.

roxysquare88

Post by roxysquare88 » Sun, 19 Dec 2010 9:18 pm

maine21 wrote:dear folks, just to share with u guys on my humble experiences here...
For those who have been wanting to be a cabin crew, its good to ask yourself again and again- do you really want this job that much?
months ago, i was just like everyone here, constantly checking out on the forum/sia website for recruitment/tips etc and going for interviews, failing it and finally successfully made it tru at my 3rd attempt. My understanding of this job was only - smile & serve .
but this job is much much more than that. The culture is one, which requires you to either pick it up or cry like a baby after every flight (when zapping get involves). U ask urself, are you prepare to get harsh/rude words fr ppl u meet for the first time?Ppl who say "I want u to get out of my sight nw/ are u stupid or what?"
2nd, its not an easy job whereby ppl (like me ) perceive as. U practically work like a dog i would say. On an avg,u could do the "squatting-standing" movement for almost 100times on each flight when serving.And your hands get dirty from collecting meal trays/babies vomit etc
To be honest, i was not prepared for all these... all i know is i just serve then i can be paid to shop. But before you enjoy, u put in 200% worth of work/sweat and sometimes even tears.
To sum it up, this is really not a job for "atas" ppl or gers who deem that cleaning toilet is a cleaner job. For those who feel that you can brave this through , then yes, this is the job for you :)
Take care!
Agree with maine21 to some extent, but i feel that it's not that bad lah. work like a dog? no lah. this is not true! yeah, it can be tiring sometimes that's all. most outsiders only see the superficial side of this job...

don't go for the interview if you think it's all about smile smile smile.

don't go for the interview if you think too highly of yourself.

don't go for the interview if you have attitude problem.

there are potential candidates from all over Asia, not just Singapore. there are many people waiting to fill up the vacancies.

and to me, i find that freshening up the lavatories is not that difficult a task. like maine21 mentioned, you must know why do you want to join the airlines in the first place. i even go the extra mile to wipe away stains sometimes because i want the subsequent passengers who enter to be impressed by the cleanliness.

So what if you clean the lavatories? don't join this line lah. nobody is forcing you.

woohoo02

Post by woohoo02 » Tue, 21 Dec 2010 4:11 am

Hi guys, a close friend of mine went for the 18th December recruitment. She made through round 1. Next was the height check. She's always been 158cm, or at least that was she was told during secondary school checks.

During the height check, the staff told her she's 157.11cm and she was puzzled. The staff did a second measurement and told her it's still 157.11cm and said that it could be because of the height fluctuation which varies throughout the day.

Was wondering if any females have gone through the same thing and went again for the next recruitment and was measured differently and got accepted.

I feel bad for her since it's short of just 0.89cm. Let me know what you think/your experience.

candelle

Post by candelle » Tue, 21 Dec 2010 4:35 am

Hi,I m from Malaysia n I went to 18th Dec SIA interview in Singapore too.When I having height check(SIA interview) last time,I was told I m 159cm.N this time I was told I am 157.6cm...only 0.4cm...n that girl say sorry that I m abit shorter than the requirement...but..i asked her to measure again,at 1st she dunwan but I talk to her..then she measure again.n I passed it.and I managed to go till 1-to-1 interview.but sadly,I failed.......was too nervous...hmm......wat should I do..?when is the next walk in?...In Ipoh interview,I managed to go into management round but failed it...this time in Singapore,failed again...sad..

Felinny

Post by Felinny » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 4:15 pm

Anyone here completed management round on 18th Dec itself or waiting for the management round at STC? :???:

Denny

Post by Denny » Fri, 24 Dec 2010 5:32 pm

Anyone here have any idea if there will be an intake in January 2011? I did not pass the management round on the 19th of Dec and i would like to try again next month. Do they have any records of you not passing the management round and impose a ban on you for 3 months?

flumpet

Post by flumpet » Sat, 25 Dec 2010 3:12 pm

Denny wrote:Anyone here have any idea if there will be an intake in January 2011? I did not pass the management round on the 19th of Dec and i would like to try again next month. Do they have any records of you not passing the management round and impose a ban on you for 3 months?
No they don't.

Denny

Post by Denny » Sat, 25 Dec 2010 5:11 pm

flumpet wrote:
Denny wrote:Anyone here have any idea if there will be an intake in January 2011? I did not pass the management round on the 19th of Dec and i would like to try again next month. Do they have any records of you not passing the management round and impose a ban on you for 3 months?
No they don't.
You mean they do not have an intake in January?

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:10 am

Plavt wrote:^ Unless things have changed; males can work until aged 65.
Plavt, in SQ the male cabin crew work till 55yrs then go for a 2 yrs extension to 57yrs (if you have a good record, subjective here...) then its 1 year extension at 57-58 and 58-59. There will be a review here and sad to say, lately not many get extended. Its subjective here again, depending on how well your record, reputation and nos. of management level ppl who like you. Its not gonna be transparent.

If you are going to join, plan for a norm of 7-8 years for each rank (the high flyer, top 1% gets promoted 4-5 yrs in each rank). That's 21 yrs to get the highest rank. If you join at 30yrs then you will be 51yrs when you have a higher chance of getting IFS. Do you think the company wants to promote you at 51yrs to IFS when you only have 4-6yrs left to work? Not many crew got it after their 50's... sad to say...

The same advancement applies to gals, only they get to work till 45yrs only with an extension of 2 yrs, if I am not wrong. However Gals do get promoted after 40's. The company is moving towards a more female cabin, therefore a large numbers of gal get promoted now compared to 10 years ago.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 1:58 am

Thanks for the information Abercrombie. I was merely 'paroting' what a stewardess told me but that was way in about 2004 so perhaps it was 65 at some time prior.

How old somebody is in British industries is irrelevant (or should be) since the UK has a equalities act. In short this means here you cannot be refused a job on the grounds of age, race, religion or sexual orientation. There are of course exceptions and employers do still discriminate but try to prove it. :x
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gallenlim2002

Post by gallenlim2002 » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 6:06 pm

When is the next walk in interview for cabin crew?

artsan
Regular
Regular

Post by artsan » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 1:19 am

Sweetie, go to the SIA website on a daily basis to check. If there's anything official it's going to be out on the website. In any case, you just missed the one on 18th December.
gallenlim2002 wrote:When is the next walk in interview for cabin crew?

revakz

Training on 20th Jan 2011?

Post by revakz » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 10:55 am

Congrats to all those who got in! KEEP TRYING if you didn't succeed..

Anyone here starting training on 20th Jan 2011?

cheers! :D

evelicious

Post by evelicious » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 10:24 pm

the minimum height for the female stewardess is said to be 158cm, but why is it that most of the cabin crew i see are tall slim and definitely way above 158?