Singapore Expats

Where to live?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Texas Expat

Where to live?

Post by Texas Expat » Sun, 19 Dec 2010 2:17 am

I'm looking for advice on what area of the city to live in. My wife and I are 30 years old and have a 1 year old daughter. I will be working in the Republic Plaza building.

I will not have a car, so I will have to rely on public transportation. I don't mind a long commute if it allows my wife and daughter to live in a place they will be happy.

Ideally we would live somewhere near a park. And I would prefer my wife have shopping within walking distance. It would also be great if we lived in an area with plenty of expats nearby.

I will also be bringing my bulldog with me.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Search By

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 19 Dec 2010 7:39 am

Singapore is approx 600 sqkm in area. Anywhere is good with good public transport service. The subway/MRT, buses and the cabs runs pretty good hence you will be spoilt for choice on the condos or private estate or even the government housing HDB.

Here is one that you can read and absorb
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... on+housing

Alternatively go to the search button at the right hand top corner under the profile link . Click on the search button and type housing, apartment, condos. Get as much info from there.

Rent a Service Apartment for about two to three weeks then go and hunt the ideal housing. Seeing is believing. There is alot of cowboys here hence throwing caution to the wind, I would give
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 20 Dec 2010 8:17 am

A budget might help a little in recommendations. The common expat areas are Holland Village, East Coast, Novena and of course city centres. If you are bringing a dog, you might prefer a landed property with a small garden? Try Holland Village Chip Bee Gardens (old black & white conservation houses at a budget) or dig around East Coast.

There are small parks in most parts of Singapore because it is a very green city. But if you are looking for a bigger scale one, you can look around East Coast Park area.

franchy
Regular
Regular

River valley area

Post by franchy » Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:22 pm

I would recommend on River valley rd. area. Its is very close to the center, many expats live there, many International Schools and its a nice area close to Singapore river as well (a nice area where u can bike and eat..)

NBB2

Post by NBB2 » Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:58 am

In a word, well two, East Coast. It's got everything on your list, especially if you move near Parkway Parade shopping mall. I know because I live there :)

Please check the latest restrictions on dogs in Singapore. I'm not sure what mix - if any - your bulldog is, but if it's a Category A breed, it may be banned here.

See http://www.petmovers.com.sg/banned.html