Singapore Expats

Aussie Julian left to rot

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
manutdfan
Regular
Regular

Re: Aussie Julian left to rot

Post by manutdfan » Tue, 14 Dec 2010 2:00 pm

ozchick wrote:
Yeah you're right...it seems that despite earlier reports saying that the Government in Oz would arrest him, they now seem to be assisting him to get a fair hearing where otherwise he may have faced a loaded gun from the start.....
I have to say as a Brit I resent your implication that Assange needs the Aussie HC to prevent the UK justice system screwing him over for political reasons.

And given the comments of some of your own politicans on the subject of Assange, what makes you think that the situation would be any better in his native country where the judical system is based on that of the UKs?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 Dec 2010 6:13 am

Ooh la la... I'm getting deja vu on my earlier remarks re: Israel...
A valid point to be reminded of though, is why are people presuming these leaks he is releasing are factual rather than simply fabricated?
-------------------------------------

'78
misterned says:
December 14, 2010 at 10:58 am
Ignoring the fact that a lot of those cables have been proven false. When many of the people who wrote the originals have looked at the “leaked”

Peter Picnic

Post by Peter Picnic » Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:27 am

They should leave Assange alone. He's just the messenger
www.peterpicnic.blogspot.com - An events company with a passion for entrepreneurship

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:58 pm

Peter Picnic wrote:They should leave Assange alone. He's just the messenger
Really, if you think about it, that's an incorrect assumption. A messenger is sent by someone else. Nobody sent him on this delivery. He's done it because of his personal beliefs, be the right or wrong. But he IS responsible for his actions and not anybody else, not even the guy who provided the leaks in the first place. Just because somebody give you some information doesn't mean you have to act on it does it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:24 pm

A factor that has me wondering is; if the documents that have been leaked are so sensitive and likely to place certain individuals at risk, then how the hell were they leaked in the first place?

Perhaps somebody should be looking at their security personnel/arrangements rather than belly-aching that an individual has gotten hold of them.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:36 am

Plavt wrote:A factor that has me wondering is; if the documents that have been leaked are so sensitive and likely to place certain individuals at risk, then how the hell were they leaked in the first place?

Perhaps somebody should be looking at their security personnel/arrangements rather than belly-aching that an individual has gotten hold of them.
They're actually banning removable media now. http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/12 ... new-leaks/
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 19 Dec 2010 7:48 am

Plavt wrote:A factor that has me wondering is; if the documents that have been leaked are so sensitive and likely to place certain individuals at risk, then how the hell were they leaked in the first place?

They are not that sensitive, most of them only having the lowest level of security classification. More than 3 million people have access at this level, from what I've read.

And it is clear that the documents, while possibly embarrassing, haven't posed the kind of national security threat that all the sabre rattlers have prattled on about. Even Robert Gates called the whole thing a tempest in a teapot.

The benefit of the disclosures of the US dealing with double dealing, corrupt regimes, of looking away when 'partners' stab us, far outweighs any embarrassment government officials might wish to avoid.

If main stream media were really doing their job instead of lapping up the swill at at the government media trough, this wouldn't even be necessary.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 6:16 pm

[quote="JR8"]Ooh la la... I'm getting deja vu on my earlier remarks re: Israel...
A valid point to be reminded of though, is why are people presuming these leaks he is releasing are factual rather than simply fabricated?
-------------------------------------
Ha, JR8, you've shown your mettle.
Assange's an angel of the murkiness of high society's soap opera. We needn't be fooled by the hypocrisy of politicians forced to put on suscribed colour coded hats. He just leaked the prattle behind closed doors to display the opinions people are entitled to have. But that amounted to the breaking of the social code, at least within the walls of diplomacy.
A shame the women's accusations of rape and its following tabloid tirades turned it into a global burlesque.
But you've broken Dan Brown's assidously worked out code so I wonder if this is a 2010 tip of the iceberg?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 3:57 pm

Wow, it seems we have several Palin-esque 'string-him-up' types here on this forum.

I guess it is accepted by these lovely 'Assange is a terrorist' advocates that the US is perverting the course of freedom of information and an independent judiciary. Does no-one here find it odd that InterPol had Assange on its front page??? For what? No, not rape. Not even close. For having sex without a condom and for having sex with a broken condom and some ardent women's rights activist.

Is Ellsberg considered a terrorist? Do we have the loony right advocating taking him out with a minuteman missile? Hardly.

What amazing secrets have been leaked? That some diplomats have open thoughts and think that King Bhumipoil of Thailand is against democracy? That US dips think that German politicians are tough, immovable etc...

Get a grip and shred the Patriot Act

'nuff said Image

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 5:24 pm

Truth's not allowed in the world of charades. They like to see only shadows. Creeps!

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:47 pm

Vaucluse wrote: Does no-one here find it odd that InterPol had Assange on its front page??? For what? No, not rape. Not even close. For having sex without a condom and for having sex with a broken condom and some ardent women's rights activist.
Weird thing indeed, based on that criteria half of my old uni mates should have been on interpols top 10 wanted list.

Not to mention at least 10% of any year's Erasmus exchange students spending a year in Sweden.

But for some reason this one topped Osama. It's actually so fishy, and really an embarrassment for Swedish government, and likely to cost them next elections, no matter what happens in economy.