Singapore Expats

PR Rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 23 Nov 2010 3:10 pm

I would recommend, if you aren't already, you continue to make CPF contributions as this is one of the statements you have to provide when renewing REP.

When you say, "managing own investments", will this result in you having to submit annual tax returns?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: renewal

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 23 Nov 2010 7:16 pm

catsick wrote:Hi , dont know if this is the best place for this

I got my pr 3 years ago ( I am from the uk and was running a trading desk at a bank here ) I retired early last year and now manage my investments full time.

My wife and daughter also both have PR and we own a condo here and spend a decent amount of money in the local economy.

I would like to stay here and dont think I will be a drain on the country as I don't use any services and our daughter will go to private rather than local school and all our medical stuff is self funded private.

Doers anyone know if we will be able to renew our PR in 2 years or if we will have a problem as I am not employed , I can show evidence of sufficient funds for the rest of my life, and have decent investments in SGX stocks etc ...
It is not the PR that expires, it is the reentry permit. My guess is your renewal will go something like this (unless of course, you simply go down to ICA and meet with an officer).

a) Fill out REP renewal form. Have lack of employment
b) Get rejected.
c) Go back and appeal, showing funds, ownership, investments, etc.
c) Get approved.

catsick

Post by catsick » Sun, 28 Nov 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks for the replies If its the re-entry permit that expires that could be even more of a problem as that may mean once it expires I may not even be able to come in and visit on a tourist 3 month visa ? , So am I right in saying that the PR really is PR but you just cant come and go without a re entry permit ?

As far as the cpf goes I don't contribute at the moment as none of my income is taxable (-: , but in the past I have paid a lot in taxes, I would like to think they will renew as I spend several hundred thousand a year here in the local economy but with a lot of people getting turned down it seems that there is politics in play as well as what may be good or bad for the local economy.

Does the renewal process allow you to make your case on the initial renewal request or is it, first fill in the form , get rejected then go for an appeal interview ?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 28 Nov 2010 1:33 pm

catsick wrote:Thanks for the replies If its the re-entry permit that expires that could be even more of a problem as that may mean once it expires I may not even be able to come in and visit on a tourist 3 month visa ? , So am I right in saying that the PR really is PR but you just cant come and go without a re entry permit ?

As far as the cpf goes I don't contribute at the moment as none of my income is taxable (-: , but in the past I have paid a lot in taxes, I would like to think they will renew as I spend several hundred thousand a year here in the local economy but with a lot of people getting turned down it seems that there is politics in play as well as what may be good or bad for the local economy.

Does the renewal process allow you to make your case on the initial renewal request or is it, first fill in the form , get rejected then go for an appeal interview ?
My own belief is that you are one of the privileged few that have been invited to apply for PR status on your financial background, so I don't see why you will be rejected this time around, as the quota for wealthy people to achieve PR is very important to the economy and like you say, you contribute and take nothing.

A Country can deport who they want when they want, if they have to and in your case and others it would be foolish to send these contributors to the economy home, as it does effect the local economy, with regards to CPF, if you are still below the Singaporean retirement age your CPF account may need topping up for PR renewal, this would be criteria I suspect, no matter what you have paid in tax in the past. My suggestion would be to arrange a meeting with ICA officer for your case well in advance, and get some clarification in writing on the criteria to keep your PR now you are retired. The alternative is just move across the border, to Johor where I believe they are already building retirement homes for wealthy Singaporeans and expats.

Surly Singapore will not be so dumb, to allow Malaysia to attract all the retired wealth, though many Singaporeans will move, that's for sure. It will leave the doors open for wealthier expats to remain in Singapore as Tourists, the politics isn't really about how much you are paying into government coffers, as government have already decided on the tourism industry, so its all about financial statistics and GDP. Locking in wealth is top priority and you are saying yourself you are spending several hundred K$ a year. Many business start ups cannot even achieve half of what you are spending after 3 years in business.

Also the link SMS posted is only one option for entrepreneurs to get PR, you can get the LTVSP much easier based on your wealth.
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 28 Nov 2010 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Nov 2010 1:34 pm

catsick wrote:Thanks for the replies If its the re-entry permit that expires that could be even more of a problem as that may mean once it expires I may not even be able to come in and visit on a tourist 3 month visa ? , So am I right in saying that the PR really is PR but you just cant come and go without a re entry permit ?

Exactly. You could theoretically, let your REP expire and live here the rest of your life as a PR but you would not be able to leave the country, not even to go to JB or Batam. As soon as you did, you would then lose your PR. As far a returning on a Social Visit Pass, that would not be a problem. You will not be prevented from entering the country on a normal tourist visa of whatever duration is allowed from your original country. You might find renewals a bit difficult though.

The problem is, you are not contributing to the Government coffers.
:-|

Normally the latter.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

amitnsathe

Post by amitnsathe » Sat, 04 Dec 2010 11:43 am

My case is similar as the one the thread was started with. I applied in August, after a year and a half in singapore. I am married since 3.5 years and have a salary above 6000. Rejection came in 1 month with no reasons, simple stating that "You may continue working on the EP as before". I am also Indian

I hear a lot of cases recently where people with a lot more experience and stay in Singapore have add their PRs rejected.

Probably too many foreigners in Singapore orready lah.. you can see the trains and buses getting crowded day by day..

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 04 Dec 2010 8:14 pm

amitnsathe wrote:My case is similar as the one the thread was started with. I applied in August, after a year and a half in singapore. I am married since 3.5 years and have a salary above 6000. Rejection came in 1 month with no reasons, simple stating that "You may continue working on the EP as before". I am also Indian

I hear a lot of cases recently where people with a lot more experience and stay in Singapore have add their PRs rejected.

Probably too many foreigners in Singapore orready lah.. you can see the trains and buses getting crowded day by day..
May be you have to stay Longer in Singapore. Minimum of 2 years in SG?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 04 Dec 2010 11:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:There used to be something here (ICA) to the effect that if you owned property here and had liquid assets of 400K you could get LTSVP's here. But what with the new changes late last year, and the subsequent heavier vetting of "fence-sitters" who want the PR but not the citizenship, I don't think that option is any longer available. In fact, I believe the liquid assets figure has gone way way up to somewhere over 8 digits. But, while I believe I heard it on the tube, I cannot find said figures in print. I'll come back later if I can find something.......

Isn't this the option to which you were referring?

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=238&secid=171

Visitor Seeking Long Term Stay

Eligibility

Visitors are eligible to apply for a renewable Long Term Visit Pass of up to 5 years if they meet the following criteria:

1. 45 years old and above;
2. own a property / properties in Singapore worth at least S$500,000 (in total) for residential purposes and meet any one of the following financial requirements:
* have savings of at least S$400,000 parked in Singapore in any form of financial instruments based in Singapore, or
* show evidence of a monthly local income of at least S$7,000, or
* have a combined, savings and 5-year equivalent income of at least $400,000.
3. must be in good health
4. have valid Medical Insurance in Singapore

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Dec 2010 1:10 am

That's the one. But as mentioned, I have heard that that option has been revised even though it's still the old page on their site. Have seen in it print but not on the ICA site.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 05 Dec 2010 3:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's the one. But as mentioned, I have heard that that option has been revised even though it's still the old page on their site. Have seen in it print but not on the ICA site.
Sorry you're losing me a bit. That was taken right from their site today. Are you suggesting that ICA are describing a visa that is in fact not available?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 05 Dec 2010 3:49 am

p.s. do you have any clues where I can find an avatar with a file-size under the required 10kb limit!

Expat Sam

Post by Expat Sam » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 5:23 pm

What i find interesting about this PR issue currently is that the rejections are apparently coming so quickly and often.

A few years ago, i knew some individuals who had addresses in singapore, whilst working for a company with a singapore address. They had EP and, even though they didn't physically reside here (all taxes were refunded for not spending 60 days per year in Singapore) they were quickly granted PR.

I haven't heard if they have been able to renew or not but the case is puzzling to say the least.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:13 pm

JR8,

No, I think the visa is available but the criteria has not been changed to show the increased liquidity required. While I have found and posted that info as found, I cannot find it stated clearly on the ICA site.

Expat Sam,

Not puzzling at all. The locals are getting fed up with PR's driving up housing costs. The government is getting fed up with PR's not converting to Citizens and also getting fed up with PR whisking there male children out of the country in order to avoid national service. Additionally, if you happen to be from the subcontinent, the chances of being rejected are even higher as they have given way too many PR's to this group of people and if they were to all take up citizenship, it would throw the ethnic percentages out (which is kept at a certain level by design).
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 10 Dec 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donova.n

Post by donova.n » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 12:00 am

if you cant find any fault in the application.. it probably isnt any of his fault too. if you follow the country's political scene you will know that election is looming. you gotta pacify the people if you want to win their votes! hope nothing changes, im comfortable the way things are.