Singapore Expats

EP Appeal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
greenevie

EP Appeal

Post by greenevie » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 4:49 pm

Hi,

I'm a LTVP holder, recently graduated with a Master's Degree, and had 1.5 years working exp. Last year, I held an S-Pass (before I obtained my Master's Degree in Singapore).

Recently, I got a job offer as an Analyst in an MNC (consulting firm). The company in Singapore is not big and employ only less than 10ppl (half are foreigners with EP). My employer applied me E-Pass (Q1) online. The outcome was out today, and it was rejected. MOM stated why it was rejected, and it was that MOM was unclear about the job description of my position. My employer said they're going to appeal for the outcome. A detailed job description, a letter emphasizing why they hire me instead of local (I will handle Bahasa-related projects), and a copy of the employment contract will be sent out to MOM. I don't know whether MOM had stated/asked for all these documents in the rejection outcome or not. I also asked my employer whether my qualification or experience were stated in the rejection reasons, and they said no. Both my Bachelor's and Master's Degrees are listed in "MOM recognized qualifications". However, my employer is going to send all my education documents, past salary slip and testimonials.

Has anyone got the EP rejected with the same reason?
Anyone could share their opinion on my case?

Cheers!

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asdracles » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 6:28 pm

Well, I'm not an expert, but I think it's easy to understand what's wrong from the rejection letter, right?
The outcome was out today, and it was rejected. MOM stated why it was rejected, and it was that MOM was unclear about the job description of my position.
So that's what you should do. State clearly your duties and justify why your company needs you instead a local for that. Mostly what you said your company will do.

Chances of success? Nobody knows.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 6:29 pm

Even if they had, you case is still an individual case. Each case is dealt with on it's individual merits. You are just going to have to wait and see.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

greenevie

Post by greenevie » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks for the reply guys!

On the bright side - MOM did state why it was rejected. The thing is, when my employer applied for EP, stating the job description was not a requirement and there wasn't any section in the form about it either (online application).

From this forum, I realize some points that when MOM reject EP application mostly it's because of:
1. education documents problems, or
2. insufficient experience, or
3. quota + salary matter, or
4. they just simply think that your job can be easily filled by locals.
Am I missing something here?

SMS, you've been in the industry for a long time. Have you come across a case similiar like mine? in terms of why it is rejected, I mean.

I understand there's no guarantee of success. I just want to make sure that we're not missing anything when we make the appeal. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 9:26 pm

For your hopes, yes, I have seen this happen before. Often, a JD doesn't really ring the right bells at MOM. If the reader gets the wrong impression or finds that there isn't enough substance to put you apart from a local, then they will reject it. So, what your employer is doing is the right thing. Hopefully, they can fine-tune the JD without writing an entire brief, that will set you apart from the rest.

I know you don't want to hear this, but in Singapore, Master's are pretty commonplace now (I'm sure you already know this). Therefore, with less than two years experience (I'm assuming it's related experience) it's gonna be hard to justify using you even if you do speak excellent bahasa. Any Malay with a degree in that industry could do the same. Yes, I know that there are differences between the two, but I worked in Indonesia for 12 years and fully a third of my current workforce are Malay as well.

So, anyway, your employer is on the right track. Just keep your fingers crossed! Good luck.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

greenevie

Post by greenevie » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 10:46 pm

Yes, I'm aware that a Master's Degree is very common nowadays. I put my educational background so you'll have a better idea about my situation. :wink:

Anyway, thanks for your advice SMS :D

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 5:03 am

This is from one forumer experience @amarettoSour
This is one example how the HR work like hell to retain the EP holder

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic70188.html.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

greenevie

Post by greenevie » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 2:27 pm

Just want to update.

MOM approved my EP on July 17. :D

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 2:49 pm

greenevie wrote:Just want to update.

MOM approved my EP on July 17. :D
Great and Congrats !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 3:10 pm

It's good to hear of a success story now & again. Especially in view of all the negative rejections we get here. (Actually, the rejections are probably a minority given that the average person wouldn't have posted on the forum anyway unless they had a problem. :wink:

Anyway, congratulations.

skay

Post by skay » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:06 pm

Hey

Any idea how appeals are treated? what I mean is are appeals considered a genuine chance or its mostly a No No again?

What are the possible additions that my employer can make while an appeal?

Its a Non IT- Non engg but an iNtl firm- Marketing related job.

KA

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 1:15 am

Unless the JD is drastically incorrect, or you have additional "relevant" information to add, normally an appeal is a waste of time. However, as mentioned before, often the creativity of the HR Manager or End User of a potential staff can make or break the appeal. Probably 90% or more appeals are rejected though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

chiztalk

Post by chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 3:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless the JD is drastically incorrect, or you have additional "relevant" information to add, normally an appeal is a waste of time. However, as mentioned before, often the creativity of the HR Manager or End User of a potential staff can make or break the appeal. Probably 90% or more appeals are rejected though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.
90% are rejected? really?
because i have an ep which was rejected but will be filled for an appeal. and i have a new offer from another company?

would this mean that it is much better if i stick with the other company for the new application pass instead of relying on the appeal? and if in case, the second new application got rejected, can the first still appeal? granted that they will not be on the same timeline.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 4:00 pm

chiztalk wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless the JD is drastically incorrect, or you have additional "relevant" information to add, normally an appeal is a waste of time. However, as mentioned before, often the creativity of the HR Manager or End User of a potential staff can make or break the appeal. Probably 90% or more appeals are rejected though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.
90% are rejected? really?
because i have an ep which was rejected but will be filled for an appeal. and i have a new offer from another company?

would this mean that it is much better if i stick with the other company for the new application pass instead of relying on the appeal? and if in case, the second new application got rejected, can the first still appeal? granted that they will not be on the same timeline.
How many times do you want to ask the same question in different ways?

It is your decision to decide whether to stay with Comp1 or Comp2

In the previous thread you were speaking like Comp1 is very slow in all process and so you want to go with company 2 and now you are contradicting here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 5:09 pm

This is just another one who has let greed jump up in his face. Only he can make the decision. Unfortunately, it sounds like he is being pushed by a local recruitment body shop. Problem is, the problem may be his or it may be the companies. Without knowing he may as well flip a coin.