Singapore Expats

REP Expired - Do you need to exit country?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

REP Expired - Do you need to exit country?

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 8:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Do you know if you are forced or required to leave the country if your REP expires?

Can you continue working locally (without leaving the country) for the next few years pay your income tax and once you have statements apply for REP?

Is this possible eh?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 9:09 pm

IIRC, SMS went for several years without renewing his REP. Caveat: he didn't leave Singapore during that time.

methinks
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 12:10 am

That is correct (it was 15 months though). Theoretically, because your PR does not expire and only the REP does, you could spend the rest of your life here as a PR without the REP. But you could never leave Singapore, not even for an hour to go to Batam or JB. As soon as you leave the country without a valid REP, you are considered as having given up your PR. But you don't need it to stay in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers