Singapore Expats

Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 5:10 pm

bethnalgreen wrote:Perhaps someone should start a sticky thread entitled: How to work as a sole-proprietor on a Dependent's Pass? It would be easier for others to find the correct information - the title of this thread implies it is not possible.
Maybe this should be you since you have done it and know how it works. Call upon the others who have done it to contribute. It it's good one of us mods will make it a sticky.

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Re: Thanks so much "Movingtospore!"

Post by quidsin » Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:31 pm

lalancaster1 wrote:"Movingtosg," Your PM is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I will contact the lady at MOM tomorrow :) Thank you so much!!

By the way, I finally did get a call back from MOM and again, DIFFERENT information every time I call and talk to someone. This time, the lady at MOM told me I needed 5 more pieces of information on top of the the LOC. Now, keep in mind, the person I talked to who just filled out her own LOC and who was approved to work as a sole-proprietor just moved here in May. Do they just make this stuff up on the fly b/c this new sole-proprietor didn't send in any of this info!!? Who knows, but here's what I was told I needed in add to the LOC application I send in and it all will be typed using my business logo at the top of each page:
1) ACRA Business Profile
2) Detail Description of Job Duties
3) Venue where I will be performing job duties
4) Reasons why EntrePass is not applicable
5) Undertaking Letter- a letter stating that I will terminate all workings of the company should my DP be canceled.

Nothing was mentioned about writing my own LOC letter, but that will be the 6th item. I'll write that I'm employing myself, include my letterhead at the top and sign it.

Again, again, and again, THERE IS NO CONSISTENCY WITH THIS ISSUE AND IGNORANCE ABOUNDS WITH THE OPERATORS WHO ANSWER THE PHONES. Perhaps I'll type them a diagram with the question, "Are you opening your own business or a company?" Seriously, on top of training, they need a flow chart to follow so that they finally begin giving people the correct information.

To any of you reading this who may be in the same situation as me, know, there IS a difference between a Business and a Company! If you want to open your own business, you file for a Sole-Proprietorship. To do this, first, register the name with ACRA. Then, download the LOC form from MOM. I'm not sure if all the 5 of the documents listed above are really needed but I'm sending them anyway.

If you want to open a company, YOU NEED AN ENTREPASS!

Don't let the operators tell you you need an EntrePass if you want to open and run your own business. Just check out the descriptions on the MOM site for a distinction between "sole-proprietorship" and "company." That's their standard default recommendation-"You need an EntrePass"-they are CLUELESS!!
Apologies, but without wanting to flog a dead horse, I'm drafting the above for the LOC but can someone pls tell what I should write for:

4) Reasons why EntrePass is not applicable

Thx a lot !

bethnalgreen

Post by bethnalgreen » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:34 pm

I just wrote it wasn't appropriate for an independent consultant, with no capital investment requirements, physical place of business or employees. Also, reiterating that the business will cease to operate when the DP ends. The Entrepass is instead of your DP. Whereas this is tied to the length of your DP.

Let us know how it goes.

aimzey

Post by aimzey » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 2:31 pm

Leslie and others that have also just got their LOC approval I need some help. I need to go through this process too. What types of businesses are you running - ie what field? Do you know if there are particular fields in which the MOM doesn't like approving the LOC for SPs? I am just looking at childrens retail - do you know if they have any thoughts on this field? Also, if I can grab the contacts you used at MOM and ACRA that would be great. Once you have the LOL what is required?

I am so pleased to hear of so many of you getting the LOC. I have been speaking to a professional firm engaged to help expats through this process and they told me they have not got any LOCs approved in 2010 because of a crack down. They said that the only way it might work is to have a friend set up the business then I apply for an LOC which is more likely to get approved since i would not be owner and employee. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also when filling out the LOC form are there any tricks or comments I should be made aware of to make it more likely to get approved??

Thanks

aimzey

Post by aimzey » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:01 am

Hi - I've been reading through the LOC form in a bit more detail and have some questions - I want to make sure I fill it out properly. Is anyone willing to PM me since I'm new and can't PM yet. I am concerned on the experience section. I have good tertiary qualifications and have worked for 12 years for a reputable bank but my new SP venture is not in finance. It is in kids fashion in which I don't have any hard experience. Does this pose a big problem?? Also, are the chances of approval the same whether you submit online or in person. I note people on the forum here have been into MOM in person. Just wondering if same success has been had through online submission. Any help is really appreciated.

aimzey

Post by aimzey » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 8:52 pm

Hi - sorry to be a pain. Leslie, would you mind helping me out since you seem to be the latest and greatest person to go through this process. A lot of what you have written is really helpful but I have a few more particular questions. If you don't mind can you please PM me or something so we can start communicating without everyone else having to hear it! I'm really hoping to do this asap but don't want to do it until I have all my info right.

East coast Dan - how did you go with your application?

It seems like everyone has had enough of this forum!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 9:32 pm

aimzey wrote:Hi - sorry to be a pain. Leslie, would you mind helping me out since you seem to be the latest and greatest person to go through this process. A lot of what you have written is really helpful but I have a few more particular questions. If you don't mind can you please PM me or something so we can start communicating without everyone else having to hear it! I'm really hoping to do this asap but don't want to do it until I have all my info right.

East coast Dan - how did you go with your application?

Three whole posts and you deduced that? Google tends to disagree with you. MOM should definitely give you an LOC (lots of chuckles).

As SE has already pointed out and I have countless times, the only way we have information re MOM is via anecdotal evidence. If & when our posters bother to take the time to pay it forward with what they have learned, then we are able to give better or updated information. Looking at your comments indicates you are the type to do nothing but disappear. But we get spoiled people who are only full of themselves from time to time. We also get lots who are always trying to find a way to pull the wool over the eyes of MOM. Whatever. :-|
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aimzey

Post by aimzey » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks for responding to the posts, although I am a little confused by your comments. What do you mean ' Looking at your comments indicates you are the type to do nothing but disappear'. I'm guessing you mean I'll try and get info, run with it and then not give anything back to the forum? All I meant by my last post and people being 'over' this forum was that I had put up messages previously and got not takers on a response. Perhaps I am a bit impatient. It was my attempt at a bit of lighthearted humour. I am more than happy to share my experience. By the same token, I had thought that these forums were a means of getting information...am I wrong? Anyway, I am simply trying to get some helpful hints. People seem to have been willing to help previously so I thought maybe I could also get some help. If I'm wrong then apologies.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:16 pm

Does that seem like "light-hearted humour" to you? I didn't see any smilies, only a couple of exclamation points. When you make posts on a weekend, you have to remember that most of us spend the majority of time on here during our working hours devoting our energies as best we can and multi-tasking at the same time. Additionally, as this is an expat board, manned and read by expats, it tends to get a little slow this time of year as it's the time lot's of them make their annual pilgrimages back to their homelands so tend to be off the board for the duration. The rest, being predominately christian, tend to be preparing for Christmas like you do when preparing for Dewali. A little patience is a good thing.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Ratpick_2000 » Wed, 15 Dec 2010 6:22 pm

Happy to report that as per Leslie's instructions above, we went down to the MOM on Havelock Road this afternoon.

We insisted on getting a ticket for the blue room (which must be obtained from the orange room; confusing). After around 45mins wait we were ushered into an interview room with a very helpful Singaporean lady.

I should note at this point that in the blue room there are 3 ticket types - anything beginning with 1 is for salary disputes, anything beginning with a 2 is for work related complaints or injuries and tickets beignning with a 3 are for Work Pass appeals (this is the one you need)

Anyway we explained the situation - my wife is a journalist and wants to work for multiple clients and the lady seemed completely at ease with the whole process. It felt like they get these applications all the time. Bottom line is, it''s still fine to sign your own LOC letter; our advice is to avoid the EP siging the DP's LOC for the reasons stated above.

She told us it's aorund a 5 week wait at the moment but I suspect this will be quicker for cases which are clear cut.

Good luck to all and let me know if we can help

Rat

kimtaymour
Regular
Regular

Post by kimtaymour » Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
The rest, being predominately christian, tend to be preparing for Christmas like you do when preparing for Dewali. A little patience is a good thing.
+ 2 SMS !
Best Record with the Most EP Rejected

andaluc

Got stuck doing ACRA

Post by andaluc » Thu, 16 Dec 2010 9:08 pm

Perhaps those of you who have been successful in getting registered with ACRA then convincing the MOM for LOC could shed some light. DO you have to appoint a local resident manager in order to file your sole proprietorship with ACRA? Does that person have to be a different person from yourself, the business owner who is living ordinarily resident in Sing, but is nevertheless on DP? The site doesn't seem to proceed if I put myself down as manager and owner, so I guess I need to ask a Singaporean to be my manager? IS this really the case?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Got stuck doing ACRA

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:24 pm

andaluc wrote:Perhaps those of you who have been successful in getting registered with ACRA then convincing the MOM for LOC could shed some light. DO you have to appoint a local resident manager in order to file your sole proprietorship with ACRA? Does that person have to be a different person from yourself, the business owner who is living ordinarily resident in Sing, but is nevertheless on DP? The site doesn't seem to proceed if I put myself down as manager and owner, so I guess I need to ask a Singaporean to be my manager? IS this really the case?
No. You form the SP as a DP. You apply for the LOC. Read the thread.

andaluc

Post by andaluc » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 7:45 am

Hi - I have read the thread, and the one it came from before it was a sticky! I understand the process but as I try to complete the Bizfile application to open by SP as a DP I find the site appears to want me to enter different details for the manager and owner as it keeps redirecting me back to the fact I have put myself down for both!
I understand I have to have a business registered in order to approach the MOM for the LOC.....it is the ACRA registration which is proving tough.

andaluc

Post by andaluc » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:06 pm

OK - sorry, now sorted. It seems the website gets overloaded easily and you need to try again at quieter times of day. Its gone through now, I'm happy to say. Next I'll be off to the Blue Room. Thanks