Singapore Expats

Mechanic Jobs in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Racheew

Mechanic Jobs in Singapore?

Post by Racheew » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 1:47 pm

Hi,

I am relocating from Sydney to Singapore for work in about one years time.

My husband is 28 years old, a mechanic by trade and will be coming with me. I was wondering if there were many jobs for a mechanic in Singapore? From researching, they do not appear to be paid well? Is it worthwhile? Anyone has experience in the matter?

Any suggestions what else he may look into - or at least where we can look for work for him?

It's all come as a rather sudden decision, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rachel

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 2:19 pm

Does he have any degree or at least a mechanical diploma? If not, and he's a tradesman, he will have a rather difficult time. You are right in the fact that a "mechanic" is not a very well paid position here. Most 'tradesmen' aren't given the salaries that they should be able to command, but there is no Union to speak of here to support them. Is he an automotive mechanic or factory based mechanic? If automotive he should be able to secure something using a Letter of Consent, but trying to get a work pass in his own right will be rather difficult I would imagine.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Racheew

Post by Racheew » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 6:00 am

He does,

He has completed his mechanics degree and is a foreman in his workshop - as an automotive mechanic.

But thanks for the information. It's good to know things like unions and salaries etc.

I think, as I am moving over for work, there may be a way he will be able to secure a visa or something similar, but we are looking into that at the moment.

Thanks!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 7:06 am

Racheew wrote:He does,

He has completed his mechanics degree and is a foreman in his workshop - as an automotive mechanic.

But thanks for the information. It's good to know things like unions and salaries etc.

I think, as I am moving over for work, there may be a way he will be able to secure a visa or something similar, but we are looking into that at the moment.

Thanks!
If you are getting an employment pass (EP) he will be able to get a dependents pass (DP). A DP can apply for a letter of consent (LOC) to work at any company. However, certain jobs will not be approved. What no one on this board knows is whether an auto mechanic will be approved.

Racheew

Post by Racheew » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:02 am

Thanks for all the information, it has been really helpful.

Hopefully we can work something out for him!!

lisa25

Post by lisa25 » Mon, 20 Dec 2010 5:24 pm

thanks for sharing information with u.keep it up

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Dec 2010 5:32 pm

lisa25 wrote:thanks for sharing information with u.keep it up
WOW! lisa25, You registered today, all the way from Chandigarh, India, JUST so you could post that one line? tsk, tsk, tsk. [-X
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 6:37 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: If you are getting an employment pass (EP) he will be able to get a dependents pass (DP). A DP can apply for a letter of consent (LOC) to work at any company. However, certain jobs will not be approved. What no one on this board knows is whether an auto mechanic will be approved.
Motor mechanics pay is pretty low, unless you are suitably qualified to step into the big guys - a-la, BMW, Merc, Honda etc. etc. and before anything, I have met a few expat engineers (not technicans / mechanics :) ) working in Ka Motors, Performance motors, and Stuttgart ..

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:41 pm

My husband is thinking of opening an Expat garage. When you have PM capability, PM me your details. There might be work available for him setting up a new shop!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 6:49 am

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: If you are getting an employment pass (EP) he will be able to get a dependents pass (DP). A DP can apply for a letter of consent (LOC) to work at any company. However, certain jobs will not be approved. What no one on this board knows is whether an auto mechanic will be approved.
Motor mechanics pay is pretty low, unless you are suitably qualified to step into the big guys - a-la, BMW, Merc, Honda etc. etc. and before anything, I have met a few expat engineers (not technicans / mechanics :) ) working in Ka Motors, Performance motors, and Stuttgart ..
How in the hell did honda get into that list! :???: :roll:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How in the hell did honda get into that list! :???: :roll:
Because Kah Motors is much larger than representing a Japanese Car :D :D

Racheew

Post by Racheew » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 7:56 am

Hi,
Thanks everyone! Bit of encouragement has made me feel better about the move.

I didn't realise there were more posts, as I haven't been receiving the emails!

Thanks for the offer, I will PM you when I have the ability, if for anything but a bit of information etc. I appreciate that so much.

Thanks all, especially about possible cars to work on. He currently works on Audi's, VW's and Jags, but has had all his training in a private workshop, so can do pretty much any car.

Thanks again all, and a Happy New Year!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 9:49 am

Just A suggestion: try to get him to get a C&G or some similiar paperwork, to be on the Safe side ..

Racheew

Post by Racheew » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 9:55 am

ecureilx wrote:Just A suggestion: try to get him to get a C&G or some similiar paperwork, to be on the Safe side ..

Thank you, I will look into that.

s_h19886

F.A.O.

Post by s_h19886 » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:34 am

Hi Rachel -

I seem to be unable to private message you.
I am looking at relocating to Singapore, I am here at the moment until 26th July and was wondering if we could talk more?
Please can you PM me if this is ok!?!?
Many thanks

Steph