Singapore Expats

How to get slim like the locals

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Wed, 10 Nov 2010 1:30 pm

Dont eat Rojak if you are on diet..its sugar laden, plus the you tiao (is that how you spell it?) and n the tofu thing...fried stuff...not good...

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Thu, 18 Nov 2010 1:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hint, Hint?

Who knows, if we can get all the regulars & SE & WIMH it would be a very nice conversational evening. I'll let you set it up this time as my last try last week didn't come off so well. I think all forgot about it plus I forgot it was a holiday weekend as well.
Oh good on ya! Old farmboy decides to organise a gathering AFTER I've left the country! Hmph! Well a girl knows when she's not wanted. :wink:
And anyway, I'd be frightened to show my face in front of the 'new man'. This little black duck is having a battle with the 'liebkuchen' and 'stollen' and all manner of 'wonderful goodies' over here! :oops:
The only way out is to 'STAY out' of the supermarkets, deli's etc. Walking past them is proving to be a poor option. My self-discipline is as bad as my German!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Post by madura » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:But one should NOT eat starches first thing in the morning (e.g., brekkie). This is what makes you hungry at 10am. If you have as basic protein & veg meal for breakfast and do not have fruit juices or fruits UNTIL AFTER YOUR PROTEIN, you will reduce the craving for the 10 am snack.
This might sound silly, but what protein options are there available for breakfast in Singapore? I'm not a big fan of sausages, and I can't possibly have eggs everyday.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:02 pm

just face it - you cant get slim like the locals - its like asking a hippo how to lose weight - it aint gonna happen.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:45 pm

madura wrote: This might sound silly, but what protein options are there available for breakfast in Singapore? I'm not a big fan of sausages, and I can't possibly have eggs everyday.
Any dairy product?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:47 pm

madura wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:But one should NOT eat starches first thing in the morning (e.g., brekkie). This is what makes you hungry at 10am. If you have as basic protein & veg meal for breakfast and do not have fruit juices or fruits UNTIL AFTER YOUR PROTEIN, you will reduce the craving for the 10 am snack.
This might sound silly, but what protein options are there available for breakfast in Singapore? I'm not a big fan of sausages, and I can't possibly have eggs everyday.
tau fu/tofu/bean curd
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 1:24 am

Yogurt. Steak, Ham (not a good choice though). I eat an omelet for breakfast every morning. Never tire of 'em. In fact, on the weekends I often have another for lunch as well. :o (I use low cholesterol eggs!) Asparagus with melted cheddar cheese makes an interesting brekkie as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 1:32 pm

Good old fashioned Quaker oats! Low glycemic diet is the way to drop weight.

You can find all food ratings at http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Keep the balance of fat intake at 20% 45% carbs 35% protein, if you are over 45 and less active reduce the carbs to 40% increase protein.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 1:48 pm

ksl wrote:Good old fashioned Quaker oats! Low glycemic diet is the way to drop weight.

You can find all food ratings at http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Keep the balance of fat intake at 20% 45% carbs 35% protein, if you are over 45 and less active reduce the carbs to 40% increase protein.
you just need to watch out for uric acid! gotta take care of those joints.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 3:09 pm

Hell yes! Shovel in the oats/carbs for breakfast. That way by 10 am your insulin will be spiking and then it'd down to the kopitiam for UFO's & Teh or Kopi loaded up with sweetener. :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers