Singapore Expats

where to sell used books?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
LT123

where to sell used books?

Post by LT123 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:56 pm

I have about 10 used books I'd like to sell - anyone know of a bookstore that buys used books?

If not, do you know of somewhere to donate books?

thanks.

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Post by smayrhofer » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 2:19 pm

bras basah complex has a used books store on the ground floor that is willing to buy your books. They don't offer you much, though, so the cost of transporting your books all the way there is probably more than you'll get from them.

I have the same problem!! I read about 2-3 books a week and i don't know what the heck to do with them. I don't want to store them all in a shelf because they aren't exactly classics, and i know I won't be reading them again. dust collectors.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 4:09 pm

I asked the same question last week, check my post for information.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... highlight=
Pakjohn

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 4:22 pm

Show your abundance and give to the salvation army.

BTW not sure whether you would get much money for them anyways.
Be Like Water

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 5:02 pm

pakjohn wrote:I asked the same question last week, check my post for information.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ft ... highlight=
Yeah, I piled up a lot of paperbacks as I used to work offshore on the Oil rigs and was a diver so you know we didn't "work" too much. Many, many hours on the helideck! Used to take $100-$125 worth of new paperbacks each hitch offshore. So they piled up quick! (pre-PDA days - now it's games on the busses!)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Camilla.Snell

Post by Camilla.Snell » Mon, 12 Jan 2009 8:41 pm

Well you could try EMI... they loan out books to their customers and they also buy in 2nd hand ones. However i think they dont give a very good price

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:19 am

I have just left 100 kids books by the refuse collection, I'm pretty sure they don't get thrown out, but end up on some street market or in families homes, that are on very low incomes that cannot afford the luxury in the HDB areas.

Although one needs to make sure the paper merchant doesn't take them too. In some areas of the HDB the old folk sit around reading and playing cards, I've often seen reading material around. Just leave them on a table, they will soon get taken and someone will be glad of them.

I've just spent a fortune shipping my books from UK would never part with them, although I don't read so much fiction, so most are educational, hobbies, business, computers, languages, health & nutrition and antiques

sweetchocs

Post by sweetchocs » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 4:25 pm

You can try donating to the library. I have asked them before. But they do not accept magazines :( , which I think they should cos their magazines are so outdated!!! Those in 2006 are still lying around!

dadido

Selling / Buying used books in Singapore

Post by dadido » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 9:41 am

You can try going to Bookfishing.com.sg to buy or SELL the books. Strongly Recommended. Heavy users volume and of cos.. cheap books =D

Plus, it's also free..

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 9:57 am

Give them away with http://www.bookcrossing.com/.

I go down to the backpacker areas and leave books all the time.

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Post by madura » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:39 pm

I usually donate it to the Singapore Council for Women's Organisations thrift shop: http://www.scwo.org.sg/index.php?option ... &Itemid=85

(address: 96 Waterloo Street )