Singapore Expats

Well-trained Filipino helper for transfer

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
CICHAN

Well-trained Filipino helper for transfer

Post by CICHAN » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 5:40 pm

My Filipino helper is finishing her 2-yr contract with my family in Mid-Nov 2010. She speaks very good English without heavy filipino accent. She is absolutely patient with my kids (who was 2 and 4 when she first started at my home) and my 65 y.o. mom. She helped me through my kids "terrible two" time periods of their young lives. At times, she cooks 3 different kinds of meals just to cater to our needs, ie. when some of us are sick and have differing needs. I trusted her to administer medicine to my kids and care for them at night while they were sick, as she has basic first aid training.

Last but not the least, she has been adhering to my first and most important rule, no handphone during working hours.

Please email me at [email protected] if you are in need of a good transfer helper. Please tell me about your family's needs, so I can help to access if she would be a good fit to your family.

I don't want her to go somewhere worst than my family!!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 6:06 pm

No handphone during working hours? I sincerely hope she gets to go somewhere better than your family.

CICHAN

Post by CICHAN » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 6:18 pm

Yes, I know it sounds very mean for me to not allow handphone during working hours. (She can make calls and sms after dinner.) But I have seen many helpers talking on the phones while carrying babies and fetching young children back and forth to schools, especially when no boss around with them. It's really dangerous! Accidents only need to happen once. And that would be more than enough. For certain active- aged children, they really need a watchful eyes every minute when playing at home or outside. Worst when they are crossing busy streets and crowded shopping centers!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:52 pm

Bet you make her sleep on cardboard in the utility room behind the kitchen too. :roll:

Once thing about it, the maid will think she found a human employer when she finds a new family.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Suzu

Post by Suzu » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:40 am

I thought usually we are not allow to use handphone during working hours?
When I was working in a spa in London, I was not allow to use handphone.
Also my room in London was not big either, I have to share it with another roommate. so we don't have bed but we manage to put some cushion on the floor to sleep on.
Plus,in Japan. (Where I come from) We are not allow to use handphone in the train or in the restaurant.
When I was in Japan, my company didn't allow me to take any day off for 3 months and I have to work from 7am to 11pm.
I don't see any westerner fights for Japanese woman's human right just because our county is wealthier?
BTW I am now renting a maid's room in one of the condo, and I find it is actually not too bad to stay in it, consider the rent that I am paying at moment. At least I got my own room and bathroom and I don't need to share it with another person.
OP's maid sounds great! One of my British friend is looking for a maid, I think she is just a right person for her.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 1:04 am

Suzu wrote:I thought usually we are not allow to use handphone during working hours?

Most companies I know, don't prevent handphone usage.

When I was working in a spa in London, I was not allow to use handphone.
Also my room in London was not big either, I have to share it with another roommate. so we don't have bed but we manage to put some cushion on the floor to sleep on.

Were you made to do it, or did you do it to save costs. Big difference.

Plus,in Japan. (Where I come from) We are not allow to use handphone in the train or in the restaurant.
When I was in Japan, my company didn't allow me to take any day off for 3 months and I have to work from 7am to 11pm.

That's your fault for working for that company. Also, you are not in Japan.

I don't see any westerner fights for Japanese woman's human right just because our county is wealthier?

Why don't your own people fight for your human rights? Can't fight your own battles? And, what does that have to do with the mistreatment of foreign maid in Singapore?

BTW I am now renting a maid's room in one of the condo, and I find it is actually not too bad to stay in it, consider the rent that I am paying at moment. At least I got my own room and bathroom and I don't need to share it with another person.

Again, you are renting it by choice, and you are also in a condo which actually has a proper maids room and not a converted utility closet or bombshelter. Again, you are doing it of your own free will, not being 'forced' to.

OP's maid sounds great! One of my British friend is looking for a maid, I think she is just a right person for her.

Yeah, OP's maid will think she's died and gone to heaven probably. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Suzu

Post by Suzu » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 1:36 am

The room I lived in London was provided by the Spa company for the foreign worker . so, I was forced to live there.

Yes, it was my fault for working for that company but I didn't know what kind of employer I will have when I first apply for the job, I think most of the maids also don't know what kind of employer they will get when they apply for the job too. Why is it when it comes to the issue of Japan, all these mistreat are allowed?

"Because you are not in Japan, so this is mistreat but if you are in Japan, bad luck."

Well I am fighting for it, but I am wondering when it comes to the issue of Japan, we have to fight for ourself, but for maids, the westerner will help them , don't they need to fight for themselves?

Well, my room is actually a bombshelter, with only coldwater shower.
if we use hot shower in this weather, it is waste of energy and produce too much CO2, we should leave a clear earth for our children.

Also when I stay in my friend's place in Indonesia and India, they only have cold shower too, and this is the way of their life, we shouldn't force to change their life style by pushing westerner standard to them.

My British friend and I work for this charity to help women in Asia to get their human right. So the reason she is hiring a maid is to give her opportunity to help her family back home.

There is a reason why those maids coming over here to work. Back home. they usually have no choice, but selling their body. or being sold to some old men.

Suzu

Post by Suzu » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 2:10 am

The reason I chose to rent a maid room is not to save money for myself. I got a good salary package I could live in a nice condo, but if I save these money, I could give it to the street children in India or Indonesia to build a home for them , give them education and provide hot meal.
unfortunately I won't put a air-con for them because there are more important thing than air-con.
And the shower bus that I provide doesn't have hot water because these cold shower are one of the few joys for those kids.

Yes, this is my choice and most of the people who came to Singapore , also by their choices.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 6:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Bet you make her sleep on cardboard in the utility room behind the kitchen too. :roll:

Once thing about it, the maid will think she found a human employer when she finds a new family.
Hash, unnecessary, and without any understanding how important it is to pay attention when taking care of children.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Nov 2010 7:43 pm

Having raised two kids here, and currently taking care of a grandkid of three, I believe I DO know. :roll: I also know how to treat other human beings, especially those that I employ.