Singapore Expats

Telecommute? Keep my USA job after my wife and I move to SP?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
macdoag

Telecommute? Keep my USA job after my wife and I move to SP?

Post by macdoag » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 1:57 am

Hi,

My wife is being promoted and being transferred to Singapore. I am a computer programmer working as a contractor at a large company.

We are both American citizens.

After we move will I be able to keep my job? That is, write code from my Singapore home and get paid by my contracting company in the states?

Would I need to fill out paperwork or anything?? Or just keep it quiet...?

Thanks for any information you can supply us!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 5:20 am

This has been discussed here before so you might want to try the search facility located just under the "Profile" link at the upper right side of this page. But the short answer is theoretically you can work from home on a DP without getting a work visa or a Letter of Consent but you would be required to pay taxes to Singapore as the income is being earned in Singapore. There is not a tax treaty between Singapore and the US for income taxes so you would still have to file a US Tax return as well but you may well qualify for income earned abroad exclusion on your US return. There are not tax breaks on a Singapore return but the taxes are low.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers