Singapore Expats

Sg sucked out your soul?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:32 am

@nakatago: It's in red so it will catch your attention. :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:51 am

Asian_Geekette wrote:@nakatago: It's in red so it will catch your attention. :P
I seem to recognise the Crown, :wink: Nice one Lizzy, not many people have one of those these days 8-) Just Lizzy & my daughter, though there are many fakes knocking about!
macaroonie wrote:Isn't it sad, we work hard for things that are not permanent.. we arrive and leave this world with nothing. Surely there has to be a higher purpose to our existence than materialism.. but that is what we spend most of our day doing - working.
The joy should come in giving! I mean there is not enough room in the furnace or the coffins, especially here in Singapore where all the ground is well blessed with gold. Think of it this way, every single night you close your eyes, you leave it all behind, not knowing if you are coming back.

You can also think that all that hard earned wealth is left to your spouse, who may marry someone 40 years younger and just have a good time at your expense, the worst is, that your spouse lover's gets a good share of your hard earned wealth too. Otherwise they are not able to get the younger ones :lol:

It's not so bad if you have plenty of kids, to keep an eye on the spouse, as they want their share too, so all the ex's may have a challenge on their hands, with the Kid's.

It's a crazy world we live in, and when you are gone the fun starts over the leftovers, forget the will, these are hardly worth the trouble these days. Not even worth fighting in Court as the lawyers take the biggest chunks of the cash while the rest are squabbling :roll:

bloodyfootandmouthdisease

Re: Sg sucked out your soul?

Post by bloodyfootandmouthdisease » Fri, 03 Dec 2010 4:57 pm

macaroonie wrote:For those who have been here for a few years, do you ever feel that being in Sg has sucked out your soul? The life that we know it here is mostly work work work, and people are so focused on money, career advancement, prestige, shopping, eating... one would be hard pressed to find cultural people with an open mind who are living their lives the way they truly want it and discovering the meaning of life. Does anyone else out there feel that life in Sg has sucked out your soul?
Macaroonie, I think that you sound very depressed. Early symptoms of SGphobia are unhealty & dangerous, I'd suggest to book a one week trip to NZ and spend sometime with your loved ones. There you'd probably have time to think about what your targets and expectations look alike in your life. That will helps a lot :)

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Fri, 03 Dec 2010 5:45 pm

Hey Macaroonie, just sit down and make silly noises.
It worked for Alexi Sayle in the young ones.
Walk around with a superman cape on or a batman one.
Let your hair down, if you have any.

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Sg sucked out your soul?

Post by aargon » Sat, 04 Dec 2010 7:37 am

macaroonie wrote:For those who have been here for a few years, do you ever feel that being in Sg has sucked out your soul? The life that we know it here is mostly work work work, and people are so focused on money, career advancement, prestige, shopping, eating... one would be hard pressed to find cultural people with an open mind who are living their lives the way they truly want it and discovering the meaning of life. Does anyone else out there feel that life in Sg has sucked out your soul?
i like singapore, i just wish they would do something about the weather :???:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 2:44 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:Thanks Addadude. Not to worry, I'm sure it won't be long before I leave in a huff again. This forum sucks out my soul, ya know :D
You've got a SOUL?! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 2:51 am

raden888 wrote:hey macaroonie,
I don't think this is just a big city thing or Singapore thing but happens when one get stuck in their daily routines without appreciating what they have.
Exactly. I left a job in Sg that was well-paid but terribly stressful. This wasn't anything to do with the city or country. Sometimes this feeling of a negative roller-coaster can sneak up on one.
Macaroonie, this may well have happened to you. If you have any choices about your lifestyle, now is the time to look at your options.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 9:24 am

ozchick wrote:You've got a SOUL?! :wink:
Used to, till you took it with you far far away. Or was that my heart? :love:

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:41 am

Thought this was music related for a bit, "You've got a soul" not "You got soul".

Sad, I know.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 2:08 pm

macaroonie wrote:Isn't it sad, we work hard for things that are not permanent.. we arrive and leave this world with nothing. Surely there has to be a higher purpose to our existence than materialism.. but that is what we spend most of our day doing - working.

In that case, don't work hard for it :wink: What are the 'things' that are so important that you have to sacrifice your soul?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 3:51 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
ozchick wrote:You've got a SOUL?! :wink:
Used to, till you took it with you far far away. Or was that my heart? :love:
Aw shucks Wimoweh! :oops:

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Thu, 16 Dec 2010 5:32 pm

Thank you everyone for posting a reply! On the positive side, it's good that one soul is sucked out once in awhile, as fresh new endeavours, beginnings and allow our imagination to soar!

Have an excellent christmas and new year!

Peter Picnic

Post by Peter Picnic » Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:26 am

its sad that we are all chasing after the Singapore dream. Car condo credit card don't mean much to me. I'd rather spend more time with loved ones.

Sorry PAP govt. I'm the author of my own ambitions. Life is more than about being an economic unit.
www.peterpicnic.blogspot.com - An events company with a passion for entrepreneurship

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 24 Dec 2010 8:07 am

Its no longer the 3 C's, people want the 3 B's..... Bentley, Bungalow, and Black card.