Singapore Expats

Sg sucked out your soul?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 8:24 am

macaroonie wrote:How many people out there understand self actualisation?
WHat do you mean? :)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Sg sucked out your soul?

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 8:39 am

ksl wrote:Hello Stranger :wink: You have been missed! Would you guys, believe I purchased a sewing machine :) New hobby anyone!
KSL, we are sew mates! I recently bought one for $300 too. Sewed six bags so far, three of which were commissioned by friends. It's nice when a hobby pays for itself.
x9200 wrote:It's a beauty and I can hardly imagine how much you regret now your premature and overpriced purchase!
X, that is so cute! It even announces that it's a sewing machine so we know what it is :P I think it would just roll over and die when it meets my over-priced but omnipotent machine that seems to do everything save shop for the cloth. Ah, a powerful machine is good for a woman's soul :wink:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 9:06 am

WIMH good to see you have come back! lets be honest you haven't missed much.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 9:52 am

QRM, you're still a sweetheart :kiss:

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:02 am

macaroonie wrote:For those who have been here for a few years, do you ever feel that being in Sg has sucked out your soul? The life that we know it here is mostly work work work, and people are so focused on money, career advancement, prestige, shopping, eating... one would be hard pressed to find cultural people with an open mind who are living their lives the way they truly want it and discovering the meaning of life. Does anyone else out there feel that life in Sg has sucked out your soul?
Have been here for over 8 months now and I can relate to what you've shared... while on the work front I find Singapore pretty much on par or even better than most large cities the world over, I have had trouble finding "open" minded people.

While I find things to do in my spare time and keep myself engaged doing things I enjoy, there are times when I really miss having good company and conversation.

Also I find that locals here are difficult to befriend...just my 2c...as with everyone else, my opinion is based on my personal experiences thus far.

All said, all this need not get in the way of "self actualisation" :) Afterall its about max-ing your experience and making the most of it whatever be the circumstances.

While on self actualisation, have you read Hesse's Siddhartha?
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:40 am

[quote="intellectualsmuse"] "self actualisation"[quote]

That's a dirty word here. :D

People would get so lost trying to do so they will ask the government to show them how it's done.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:38 am

teck21 wrote:People would get so lost trying to do so they will ask the government to show them how it's done.
oh snap!

:D
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 3:01 pm

teck21 wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote: "self actualisation"

That's a dirty word here. :D

People would get so lost trying to do so they will ask the government to show them how it's done.
Yes, and then they would have a program for "Mass"-actualisation. Who knows there will be 7 pre defined steps towards attaining it and once you're done the MoMA (Ministry of Mass Actualisation) will award you a certificate. Then if and when you're in doubt or start to question yourself or things around you, you can look at the certificate and convince yourself you can go no further cause you're already there!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 4:12 pm

Loved the last responses on MoMA Can see it happening too :D and welcome back WIMH

To me its not just Singapore, but city life in general. I had a (local) colleague last week look at me blankly when I mentioned that I NEEDED TO GET OUT. The only difference from being back home is here getting out requires a passport (and the weekend was brilliant and helped me deal with all the $(*^ that came my way).
Its also great to visit some neighbouring cities - a brilliant way to remember to appreciate everything that SG has to offer.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 4:26 pm

carteki wrote:Loved the last responses on MoMA Can see it happening too :D and welcome back WIMH

To me its not just Singapore, but city life in general. I had a (local) colleague last week look at me blankly when I mentioned that I NEEDED TO GET OUT. The only difference from being back home is here getting out requires a passport (and the weekend was brilliant and helped me deal with all the $(*^ that came my way).
Its also great to visit some neighbouring cities - a brilliant way to remember to appreciate everything that SG has to offer.
that's just the thing...for other countries, you just need to exit the city limits to recollect yourself. here, you get out of the city limits, you're either in expensive resort island bintan (or batam) or you're in still urban JB. Some expats find that still restrictive.

I don't know what's beyond Tuas. Never had a reason to go there. :P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 8:28 pm

Having been here longer I wouldn't say it's a lack of being open-minded, more of the effect of such strict mores has on the senses of what else is in the world. I'm trying to avoid using the work "naivete" but that's about the closest I can come.

It's like freedom of choice - when you're only offered the Walt Disney (or Pixar as I'm dating myself) view, it's a false representation of the real world of choices. Maybe it's easier when these are being dictated, to follow the status quo.
intellectualsmuse wrote:
macaroonie wrote:For those who have been here for a few years, do you ever feel that being in Sg has sucked out your soul? The life that we know it here is mostly work work work, and people are so focused on money, career advancement, prestige, shopping, eating... one would be hard pressed to find cultural people with an open mind who are living their lives the way they truly want it and discovering the meaning of life. Does anyone else out there feel that life in Sg has sucked out your soul?
Have been here for over 8 months now and I can relate to what you've shared... while on the work front I find Singapore pretty much on par or even better than most large cities the world over, I have had trouble finding "open" minded people.

While I find things to do in my spare time and keep myself engaged doing things I enjoy, there are times when I really miss having good company and conversation.

Also I find that locals here are difficult to befriend...just my 2c...as with everyone else, my opinion is based on my personal experiences thus far.

All said, all this need not get in the way of "self actualisation" :) Afterall its about max-ing your experience and making the most of it whatever be the circumstances.

While on self actualisation, have you read Hesse's Siddhartha?
Last edited by EADG on Fri, 15 Oct 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 8:37 pm

x9200 wrote:
ksl wrote: Hello Stranger :wink: You have been missed! Would you guys, believe I purchased a sewing machine :) I took five chairs to be reupholstered and they wanted like 350$, I thought you got to be kidding me, okay labour in Singapore is getting more and more expensive, but this guy was from the mainland. Anyway I thought no way, i am paying that, when i can do them myself. My old mum was a dressmaker and i was doing tracing and cutting by the time i reached 11, so off i went to Courts and purchased a discounted machine for 300$ and thoroughly enjoyed
2 weeks back in cold storage they had nice Brother machines for ~125$ :P I almost bought it... unfortunately my wife opposed :( But I got one from ebay, electric, portable, 27$ :) Very weird though - sews with a single thread only. It's a beauty and I can hardly imagine how much you regret now your premature and overpriced purchase!
That's a cute one, handy for stitching time while travelling :o All good soldiers doing NS should carry one :lol: My premature purchase was a sound investment for both my wife and daughter, though that backfired, as they are typical of most young ones today, very little patience. I learnt at a very early age from the old type Singer machine with the pedal back in 62 8-)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:29 pm

I got one of those pedal operated Singers as well. I restored it about a decade or so ago and it works perfectly today (beautiful walnut sewing stand that I had to re-veneer) works like a new machine today. Based on the serial number it dates from the late forties.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:48 am

ksl wrote:I learnt at a very early age from the old type Singer machine with the pedal back in 62 8-)
Would that be the pedal switch that turned on the motor, or the pedal that turned the wheel because there was no motor?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Oct 2010 2:50 am

maneo wrote: the pedal that turned the wheel because there was no motor?
That's what mine is. Uses a roundish leather belt for the drive belt. It's pretty good for sewing heavy denim & canvas.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers