Singapore Expats

Flyer Distribution??

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
savestheday

Flyer Distribution??

Post by savestheday » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 1:54 am

Hi all,

Have a couple of questions regarding flyer distribution:

1) This is specific target market distribution in to the customer's hands (outside clubs, music events, bars). Would we be better off employing a few part-time students to distribute these (with spot checks) or employ a flyer distribution company? Has anyone had any experience of either?

2) How many hours would you estimate to distribute 10k flyers with high foot flow? We are looking to spread this out amongst a few.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 8:04 am

Don't do it. 98 percent of your flyers end up as trash, unread, and on the street as litter. I see these people everywhere... at escalators, entrances to malls... handing out a flyer that is promptly dropped in the trash or thrown on the ground.

savestheday

Post by savestheday » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:19 am

I know the response rate is very low but they are a very cheap and cost effective method to reach captive target audience.

I understand what you're saying and it is true for the most part, however for what we are promoting and the specific audience it will be handing to, it will have a good response rate. most flyers are promoting crap and just handing out in mass amounts to anybody that walks past, this is not the case with ours.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:43 am

Whenever someone hands me a flyer, I imagine them almost saying, "Here, throw this away."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

savestheday

Post by savestheday » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 6:46 pm

my point is say that you are at a rock concert and someone hands you a flyer for a similar artist playing in SG soon, most people who know the artist are going to be somewhat interested.

it's not like giving someone a flyer for a new phone contract or skincare cream in the middle of the street.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:37 pm

savestheday wrote:my point is say that you are at a rock concert and someone hands you a flyer for a similar artist playing in SG soon, most people who know the artist are going to be somewhat interested.

it's not like giving someone a flyer for a new phone contract or skincare cream in the middle of the street.
The point is that no one actually gives a sh*t about what you are handing them.

Your presumption is that someone will actually care about your 'recommendation' when in reality, they know it is advertising spam. Tuned it people will already know about the artist, tuned out people won't give a crap about your handout.

Call me tuned out.

savestheday

Post by savestheday » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 10:48 pm

Sure that's your opinion and I'm in agreement that the response rate is very low. However, when I go to a gig, have to queue and get handed a flyer of a show (with a well known act) that is relevant to me then I'm going to read it. Whether I might already know about it or not, it can always act as a reminder.

Unfortunately we cannot rely on just word of mouth and although online is our main promotion platform, flyers can be useful. Even if only a handful bring in ticket sales that would cover cost.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:04 pm

savestheday wrote:Sure that's your opinion and I'm in agreement that the response rate is very low. However, when I go to a gig, have to queue and get handed a flyer of a show (with a well known act) that is relevant to me then I'm going to read it. Whether I might already know about it or not, it can always act as a reminder.

Unfortunately we cannot rely on just word of mouth and although online is our main promotion platform, flyers can be useful. Even if only a handful bring in ticket sales that would cover cost.
So, you asked a couple of questions that common sense would provide the answer.

To take them in reverse: 10,000 flyers distributed over 10 hours is 1000 flyers per hour. You want to hit an event, and do it in two hours? 5000 per hour.

That is 16 plus flyers a minute, low end, to 82 flyers per minute high end. Your best people cannot push more than 10 or so per minute, at best... and if they push harder... more trash.

Your advertising medium sucks. If you are planning to do this at a gig, get smart and do something that connects you inside with the gig.

savestheday

Post by savestheday » Mon, 11 Oct 2010 3:48 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
savestheday wrote:Sure that's your opinion and I'm in agreement that the response rate is very low. However, when I go to a gig, have to queue and get handed a flyer of a show (with a well known act) that is relevant to me then I'm going to read it. Whether I might already know about it or not, it can always act as a reminder.

So, you asked a couple of questions that common sense would provide the answer.

To take them in reverse: 10,000 flyers distributed over 10 hours is 1000 flyers per hour. You want to hit an event, and do it in two hours? 5000 per hour.

That is 16 plus flyers a minute, low end, to 82 flyers per minute high end. Your best people cannot push more than 10 or so per minute, at best... and if they push harder... more trash.

Your advertising medium sucks. If you are planning to do this at a gig, get smart and do something that connects you inside with the gig.
they wouldn't all be pushed at one event, but alas i have looked more in to this and have gathered avg distribution times.

bit harsh, do you even know what our marketing plan is or even what we are doing? all you have to go on is that we are going to produce and distribute some flyers which forms a very small part of our promotion. i hadn't mentioned that we won't be involved in what is going on inside the venue. anyway i don't feel the need to go through this any further.

so i'm looking for anyone's actual experience with either using a company or if they have employed any flyerers.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Oct 2010 5:48 am

If for no other reason, don't do it because it just contributes to the garbage already being littered everywhere. Try to help, not hurt, the environment. Not counting the tree that will have to be slaughtered to provide you with the paper that's going to be thrown on the ground.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:43 am

I think you guys have been here too long. You're sounding more and more like the nagging locals.

What savestheday is doing is called target marketing. Whilst the return rate might be low overall (I would factor a 1% return rate) if the artwork is right then the return rate might be higher in fact. As people are at the event and you are promoting something similar that is far more effective than many other forms of media advertising.

Another option might be to see if the company holding the event will allow a text message to be sent out to all ticket holders. However.. a word of warning. It could backfire and annoy people. Plus how many people will actually follow up. At least a nice designed flyer will have impact. Remember the main principle of advertising.. K.I.S.S or otherwise know as Keep It Simple Stupid!

Might I suggest that you look at doing something a tad different than just a standard flyer. Look at something like Moo cards. Google them. Pretty smart actually and also quite unique. Certainly not seen anything on these shores although it might be a tad too sophisticated for them here. Gimmicks can work but you need to be inventive and not just go with the norm.

I have to say that SE & SMS are now a bit long in the tooth (sorry guys) and not really "up" on the modern ways. Send them an email... bin. Send them a flyer... bin. In fact do anything to do with marketing and in the bin it goes. They are "exactly" what you are NOT looking for.

Good luck.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:17 pm

In Japan, instead of distributing flyers, merchants distribute tissue packets. Whatever they're promoting is on the packaging. That's for winter and/or hayfever season. During summer, it's fans.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 12 Oct 2010 2:40 pm

ukdesigner wrote:I think you guys have been here too long. You're sounding more and more like the nagging locals.

I have to say that SE & SMS are now a bit long in the tooth (sorry guys) and not really "up" on the modern ways.
Uhhhh... handing out flyers is not exactly a 'modern' concept... I think this got started shortly after Gutenberg fired up the first printing press.

It might be target marketing and then again, it might not. Is it targeted marketing to hand off a Burger King flyer to every person who steps off the escalator in the basement of Suntec 1? It is 'targeting' all the folks who have come downstairs to each lunch, I suppose. But it's not really. If it were targeted, the flyers would be targeted only to those looking for cheap western food.

Only the OP can actually determine if he has a real target audience or is simply making assumptions about the nature of the audience he intends to push to.

And speaking of 'nagging locals', push cards and flyers have been banned in many cities and many events simply because of the volume of litter they generate, litter which is promptly blown all over the place by the wind.

I do agree with UKD on one thing. Make something attractive. Don't push it in front of people. Make them see what you have and ask for it.

savestheday

Post by savestheday » Tue, 12 Oct 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks UKdesigner you totally understand where I am coming from and think Strong Eagle is being a bit more understanding now. I do agree with what you state about litter but that is a human thought, for myself personally i will put it in my pocket until i reach a bin if i don't want it. Obviously I understand not everyone will be so environmentally conscious.

These moo cards seem an interesting concept and will look further in to those this afternoon. In response my business partner is a graphic designer (very good one at that!), so everything will be of top quality design. One of our ideas is to print barcodes (QR codes) on them, which when scanned by a mobile can bring up a website, music page or youtube video of that particular artist.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 12 Oct 2010 6:09 pm

savestheday wrote:One of our ideas is to print barcodes (QR codes) on them, which when scanned by a mobile can bring up a website, music page or youtube video of that particular artist.
some companies do the QR codes in posters and newspaper ads. you may want to look into them.

Return to “Business in Singapore”