Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
hitler1126

Post by hitler1126 » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 2:08 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
hitler1126 wrote:Hi All

Same Dilemma Happen To Me and Hope Someone Can Advise Me.

I Am A Singapore Citizen and My GF is A Ex-WP Holder From PRC. She Has Very Clean Record During Her Stay With Company (Promotion, Supervisor Recommendation). The Reason She Resign Is Due To Her Parent Didnt Agree Her To Marry Me As They Want Her To Stay In China With Them When They Grow Old. Past Few Months Ago She Resigned and Went Back To China. Eventually We ,Both Found Out That We Cant Be Separated and Missing Each Other Every Day.. To Cut it Short, Here Are my Questions :

1) Any Chance Of Getting the Approval Of Marriage From ROM?

If you never try to submit to MOM, you will never know , would you ? This is the only route in order to know if you can bring her here and live legally.She must NOT get pregnant b4 approval OR MOM must not know she is pregnant or else you are on borrowed times

2) If Approved, Will It Means She Can Stay In Singapore With At Least LTSVP?

Correct

3) If Approved, Can She Give Birth In Singapore? And Will The Child Be Singaporean?

Yes , she can, your child can have dual citizenship by descent if born overseas , If the child is male the question of NS will be a topic of debatable future. So think hard.

4) Any Chance Of Getting PR For Her ( Though I Know Nowaday Its Very Hard To Get It ) I Means In Future , For The Sake Of Child ? (Since We Wanted To Choose SG As Our Home)

Get your gf LTSVP first then see how it goes. PR wait a little longer like 3 to 5yrs stay in SG

5) Approval Of Marriage Vaildity? ( Means If Approve, Must Register Within 3 Mths, etc ..)

The standard reply if approve will require you to register ROM within a year but yeah, the sooner the better don't you think ?

Pls Enlighten If Someone Has Similar Issues and Ur Suggestions Will Be Deeply Appreciated.

To Mad Scientist, Thanks For Your Prompt Response.

Have Some Little Double Need To Clear and Hope U Can Help.

Have Read From the Forum , Saying When Give Birth To Male Child It Will Have More Chance To Extend LTSVP or Getting PR Rather Than Female Child, Is That True?

To My Concern, Everything Can Go Chaos In Future , If She Cant Get Stay In Singapore , Even Have Permission To Marry From MOM.

It Will Become Much Complicated, When We Got the Child and She Cant Even Stay In Singapore.

Pls Enlighten..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 2:41 pm

hitler1126 wrote:
Have Read From the Forum , Saying When Give Birth To Male Child It Will Have More Chance To Extend LTSVP or Getting PR Rather Than Female Child, Is That True?
What I said was, you get the permission to get marry from MOM first if your future wife has work or not in SG before under Work Permit Pass. This guideline is only meant for foreigner marrying SPR or SGer
For those that married overseas and wants to bring your spouse back to SG, if you have kids, a male kids stands a better chance for the mother to get LTSVP approval. Having children, married for sometime will help your LTSVP application smoother as it is NOT seen as a marriage of convenience.

Getting PR is another kettle of fish altogether. PLEASE DO NOT MIX EVERYTHING INTO ONE POT.

To My Concern, Everything Can Go Chaos In Future , If She Cant Get Stay In Singapore , Even Have Permission To Marry From MOM.

If she has permission to get married from MOM, then apply extension on her social visa at ICA then register your ROM in SG. After that apply LTSVP for her . Hubby will be the sponsor.
Which part you do not understand ? It has to be followed to the T. You are confusing yourself !!

It Will Become Much Complicated, When We Got the Child and She Cant Even Stay In Singapore.

Pls Enlighten..
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

hitler1126

Post by hitler1126 » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 2:58 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
hitler1126 wrote:
What I said was, you get the permission to get marry from MOM first if your future wife has work or not in SG before under Work Permit Pass. This guideline is only meant for foreigner marrying SPR or SGer
For those that married overseas and wants to bring your spouse back to SG, if you have kids, a male kids stands a better chance for the mother to get LTSVP approval. Having children, married for sometime will help your LTSVP application smoother as it is NOT seen as a marriage of convenience.

Getting PR is another kettle of fish altogether. PLEASE DO NOT MIX EVERYTHING INTO ONE POT.

If she has permission to get married from MOM, then apply extension on her social visa at ICA then register your ROM in SG. After that apply LTSVP for her . Hubby will be the sponsor.
Which part you do not understand ? It has to be followed to the T. You are confusing yourself !!

Pls Enlighten..
I See.. Thank You So Much.. I Just Confuse So Much As It Always Good To Think About Future First and In Fact I am Just Worry To Much On That..
:)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 3:20 pm

hitler1126 wrote: I See.. Thank You So Much.. I Just Confuse So Much As It Always Good To Think About Future First and In Fact I am Just Worry To Much On That..
:)
Yeah sound like it. More confuse than your WWII dictator friend which bears the same name
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

serve_the_servants
Regular
Regular

Re: training pass

Post by serve_the_servants » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 9:46 pm

lizarayhan wrote:
grace fifi wrote:hihi,everyone, and i got one more thing which is not quite understanding is by the time i went to collect my work permit trainee pass, the MOM issued me a computer generated letter which is written that
"Dear sir/madam
waiver of requirement to apply for marriage
pleast note that there is no need for you to obtain the approval of the controller of work passes before you can marry a singapore citizen or PR,the relevant work permit condition will hence not apply to you..
yours faithfully
does anyone understand what is the letter for to issue me or what the perpose of MOM for issuing this ? does it mean i cannot marry here with a local??? thanks a lot for the advise...thanks
grace fifi wrote:by the way, forgot to mention that my boyfriend is also a singaporean... and i also very surprised about the singapore LAW,, its really strict and unfathomable..
HI GRACE FIFI, can i ask u if u still have that letter u received from mom when collecting your training pass during your attachment. please help if possible u could email me that letter to my email [email protected] by scanning because i am facing the same situation but i think this a misunderstanding from. My husband has went back to his country because mom said he had contravened the marriage policy because i think mom thought he was a normal work permit holder before. he told me he also once received the same letter like you did from mom but unfortunately he threw it away long time even before i knew back in 2007. if i could get that letter i could prove it to mom at least and have my husband back and that now sad things is i am also 6 months pregnant now. thank you

Even without the letter, there are possibilities. Last month I spoke to my wife's friend and she was on the same boat.

They went to their private school, (Boston), asked them to write a letter that the training work permit was required for a school assignment and was initiated by them, NOT the hotel of training. They were already married at ROM and never asked for permission.

They added this letter to the PR application and had no problems at all and are accepted as PR, ICA said to them that in Singapore, training is something different than working.

It seems that MOM is reluctant to check this 'training' thing out if you do not add supporting documentation. Be safe and bring in all material you have to support your case.

Bennet

education documents

Post by Bennet » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 1:50 am

Hi,

I have some questions and hope someone here will be able to provide me with some advice.

I am a Singaporean and I am planning to marry my PRC girlfriend. My gf is a work permit holder who has worked in SG for 5 years. I understand that I must get blessings from MOM before we go to ROM. And she is not pregnant.

I am also planning to apply PR for her after a year into our marriage. The problem I have now is that, when my gf first came to SG 5 years ago, she provided a college education cert to her employer. The cert is lost somewhere, so my question is, when I apply for MOM marriage approval and subsequently PR status for her in future, do we still have to bring along her original college cert? Or can we choose to exclude the missing cert in her application for marriage and PR?

I hope someone can reply me on this. If there is no way we can choose to exclude the cert, we have to go to the college in China to get the school to 're-issue' it to us.

Thanks.

serve_the_servants
Regular
Regular

Post by serve_the_servants » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 5:36 am

I guess the vetting is fully focused on original certificates. I read plenty of topics here about fake certificates around in SIngapore, MOM does not have a choice to separate the boys from the men.

During my EP and LPR applications, MOM and ICA strictly mentioned to bring the original documents after the application has been approved.

A decent college should provide her a new certificate if it is missing (because a good certificate has an authentication number)

Bennet

Post by Bennet » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:17 am

Yep, the college should provide one.

In the case whereby its hard to to get the college to provide one (the college is not near any city and is far from her home), will MOM or ICA request for the original certificate though we exclude it out during application?

My gf was saying that her education level is considered low in China and it is probably considered even lower here in SG. That is why we are considering of excluding the missing cert from our future applications... Does anyone happen to know if MOM or ICA will ask about it since I suppose they will have records of her education level when she first applied for WP years ago?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:16 pm

Bennet,

I would suggest that you make every effort to either locate the original or apply and get a new original BEFORE you apply for anything here that requires it.

The reason you still need to submit said documents, even though submitted before, is that if the documents are substantially different, it's a way for the government to catch those who would use forged documents upon original entry here. They are pulling out all the stops to catch illegal entries into the country and it is but just another means of doing so. Do not give them reason to put your gf on a suspicion list as they are just like a Jack Russel Terrier with a knotted sock!

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Bennet

Post by Bennet » Mon, 01 Nov 2010 8:31 pm

Hi serve_the_servants and sundaymorningstaple,

Many thanks for your advice. :) I will try my best to get the original cert before any application.

newRays

Post by newRays » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 1:27 am

Bennet wrote:Yep, the college should provide one.

In the case whereby its hard to to get the college to provide one (the college is not near any city and is far from her home), will MOM or ICA request for the original certificate though we exclude it out during application?

My gf was saying that her education level is considered low in China and it is probably considered even lower here in SG. That is why we are considering of excluding the missing cert from our future applications... Does anyone happen to know if MOM or ICA will ask about it since I suppose they will have records of her education level when she first applied for WP years ago?
Bennet, I was in the same situation as you. I advise you to go to the MOM website now, look for the appropriate section and send in your query. Furnish all your details CAREFULLY (your NIRC, her WP, basically things they will ask you etc) Their reply was prompt and I received the approval from the controller within 2 working weeks (both of us have super clean background)

Hope this helps, cheers!

-newRays

reay

Post by reay » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:59 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
reay wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
1.Ask MOM for blessing just for formality sake. If yes >good. if no
2.You still Register your ROM here be it yes or no from MOM.
But wouldn't MOM proceed to bar her from entering Singapore if the reply is no? Still able to go ICA and apply the Visa for her to come to Singapore to register for our ROM?

3. Wait until third trimester of your gf pregnancy. If it is a boy, you are in luck, your chances of getting your gf LTSVP once married is far greater than it is a girl.
Correct me if i'm wrong. If she is able to get the 2wks Visa to come to Singapore to register for our marriage, the next process wld be to apply for an extension for her to give birth in Singapore right?

4. Even if it is a girl, let gf give birth here, apply child China PP within 42 days of giving birth. You will get subsidy under Medisave and at least the hospital care is up to the mark.
Apply child's China PP? Wouldn't the child be given Singapore Citizenship and PP if the child is delivered in Singapore or the child is able to choose between China and Singapore Citizenship due to the so called "dual descent"?

5. Then leave SG for China if everything fails
Ok , my bad, I wrote too fast for you to grasp.This is the problem with me. The brain works faster than the fingers to translate.
What I meant is, you already know the consequences, hence she will be barred or maybe not. It all depends on whether you wish to declare her pregnancy or not to MOM. We cannot teachyou how to do this.
Get everything ready first in the event all fails then go to MOM to ask permission.
If MOM permits, then go to ICA to extend stay to register for ROM asap. If rejected, then you already realise she will barred from entering. No harm in trying right ?By then you have all your gears prepared for the uneventful rejection. Hence there will be no panicking.
We had one forumer here of similar nature, we DO NOT encourage nor tell you to lie but it is up to you to weigh your options.
You already know you are in the losing option but just to comfort your heart and give a shot with MOM.At least you know you have tried all options available. Ignorance is a bliss or not depends on how you play your cards. Get the picture now ?
Just an update on my application status. Yippie...I've got the Approval from MOM to register for my marriage with my gf. ;) I received the letter abt 3 wks later after submitting my application letter personally at MOM. I've actually made 2 calls to MOM to clear my doubts before submitting the letter.

reay

Post by reay » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:11 am

Bennet wrote:Yep, the college should provide one.

Bro, i was in the same situation as u before submitting the application form as my PRC gf is not highly educated and she had misplaced all her certs. I made a call when i was at MOM to enquire and was informed by the officer that i just need to indicate in the application form that she had misplaced the certs in China will do as i was afraid that by leaving that question unanswered might result in "incomplete form" submission. If she ever applied for WP in the past with her educational records, MOM shld have all these info in their database. My advice to u is to make the phone call to enquire instead of sending email (i did it initially but it takes abt 3 working days for them to call u back) and i dun have the patience to wait that long.

serve_the_servants
Regular
Regular

Post by serve_the_servants » Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:34 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
serve_the_servants wrote:In case you marry your gf, an ex-wp holder (without permission) where the husband is a foreigner not working in Singapore at all, will it be a problem to become a PR for the husband? (he moves to Singapore on EP first) Since he married an ex-wp holder but is no PR / Singaporean (yet)?
Yes it will. Get the permission from MOM first to be safe
I called MOM last week about this matter and the very helpful service agent called their legal staff internally. The Marriage law is a strange one though.

My wife is an ex- trainee work permit holder, I am here on an EP. We married without permission.

According to MOM, If you marry a work permit holder when you are foreigner (no residental status in Singapore) or EP holder, you are safe. It means, we can become PR as the marriage policy does not apply to us anymore, since at the time of marrying, I was not PR / Singaporean. I do not need to apply for permission (quote MOM)

Hope this will clear things up for EP holders that are scared to become PR due to the marriage policy.

MH9988

Post by MH9988 » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 5:34 am

After reading this forum by chance, sure got me worried!

A few questions that I hope someone can help me:
Hi All,

1a) How do I get permission from MOM to marry my GF who worked here for a few months wz WP? Do I go down MOM personally as she's back in her own country now. Is there a form to fill to grant permission?

1b) Does MOM need her previous WP information like WP number , Employer name etc etc

1c) If MOM doesn't grant the permission to marry her- Can I try again and again?

Pls advise as we intend to get marry this May.