Singapore Expats

I can't believe it ... or can I?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 4:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah, It's genetic, not cultural.[..]
Ok, it's genetic but you take full responsibility for anything that may happen when ksl sees it and resurrects the topic on the racist anti-Indian Australians.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 7:27 pm

ksl & I go back a long way! You think it's good here, you should see use when we are together and have a few pints in us! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 7:55 pm

poodlek wrote:hat's exactly what bugs me! Why bother posting signs and painting lines on the floor and making videos and recorded announcements with the reminders if nobody cares and they're not going to do it anyway? What's the point? Why not make it like the free-for-all metro systems elsewhere in Asia? Oh, and if you're going to try to push your way onto the train while everyone else is still exiting, don't go and get all muttery and scowly if you get jostled. You're the one who put yourself in the position to get jostled.
[/rant]
There is one big problem with letting it be as an average SG Joe would like to see it: the standards are based on a painfully undeniable logic. You let people first to get of a vehicle or leave a room, or a lift etc because the space there is limited so you want to empty it first. No way to find a good excuse and If one claims to be or want to be the best of the best of the best and have this sort of problems it just does not look good.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 14 Aug 2010 8:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl & I go back a long way! You think it's good here, you should see use when we are together and have a few pints in us! :cool:
:)
Nice pint of Kilkenny in my hand now. Fully deserved after spending almost one hour in the bloody home delivery queue in Ikea :x

painkillerPink

Re: I can't believe it ... or can I?

Post by painkillerPink » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 5:22 pm

vozzie wrote:Day 1:

Women behind me in checkout queque asked if she could put my purchase on her rewards card

Day 2:

Woman cornered me as I left checkout, demanding my coupon stamps

They're not scared to talk to a foreigner when they want something.
Another lesson learnt.
The price of dignity...
I was queuing to pay for a purchase at Takashimaya the time they had 10% off for members. The lady behind me who was carrying a Guy Laroche item asked me if I had a member card. She was willing to ask a stranger for a favor (non-returnable obviously) just to get a measly discount? And after I said "no" she walked around and proceeded to ask other people. I don't get it.
"Dead flies make a perfumer's oil stink..."

WeightP

Post by WeightP » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 3:49 pm

Women behind me in checkout queque asked if she could put my purchase on her rewards card

Day 2:

Another lesson learnt.
thats very serious, never heard that before..

philiporaski

Post by philiporaski » Fri, 01 Oct 2010 3:45 am

m mummy say dont speak to strangers

frankspore

Post by frankspore » Fri, 22 Oct 2010 1:05 am

Day 2:

Another lesson learnt.
I would advise you to stay away from such people. Think about how hard up they must be to ask strangers for a few stamps. Singapore does not have drug addicts or criminals roaming the streets but like any country in the world, you would do well to stay away from certain people.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah, It's genetic, not cultural. I've been here nigh on 30 years and the older generation (60's to 80's are not like the sub 50's of today. Those of the older generations were brought up in kampongs and their sense of community was much stronger than the current generations who didn't know kampongs at all. It all started with leeky's "O" level graduate mother's programme to breed superior offspring. Unfortunately, he didn't learn from Josef's experiments that it doesn't work. You can only get so much into a single vessel. They got super smart Maths & Science scholars but other stuff was inadvertently bred out. Common sense and spatial awareness the two biggest losses. :o
Sense of community? Common sense? Are you kidding? Have you heard of the Hock Lee bus riot? And let me ask you, why do you think Singapore has laws against littering, spitting, not flushing toilets? Why do you think they installed urine detectors in lifts?

Because these people you are talking about were spitting and littering all over the place. They were also urinating in the lifts, using vulgarities in every sentence and buying stones to cure cancer.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:03 pm

frankspore wrote: Sense of community? Common sense? Are you kidding? Have you heard of the Hock Lee bus riot? And let me ask you, why do you think Singapore has laws against littering, spitting, not flushing toilets? Why do you think they installed urine detectors in lifts?

frankspore, I'm not sure how old your are but I have my doubts that you are old enough to remember the Hock Lee bus riots. Your only knowledge of the events are probably only that learned out of PAP approved text books. The hock lee riots were a result of the bus unions. Union spats have happened in most countries when unions get too strong.

The littering laws were because in the old days kampongs were kept relatively clean because garbage was unfortunately thrown out the windows into the canals. It was not thrown in the community areas. Those elderly, when their kampongs were torn down and HDB's first built (like after the Bukit Ho Swee fire) were moved into HDB flats. Their's was a situation of lack of education which caused a host of problems when moving from well water and nightsoil collectors to indoor plumbing and trash collection. From habit they threw the trash out the back window into the canals which was then taken out with the tide to the harbour. (I also remember the Singapore River before all the bum boats were moved out of the river and into the harbour). Their's was purely a problem of lack of education. But they kept the communal areas clean and had a close knit community.

Because these people you are talking about were spitting and littering all over the place. They were also urinating in the lifts, using vulgarities in every sentence and buying stones to cure cancer.

As a member of the PA's Resident Committee and a member of the grassroots organization here, I can attest that they STILL urinate in the lifts and throw their garbage out windows and in the void decks. I can also attest that these are not the elderly but the youngsters of today WHO HAVE been educated. In fact, look at the ages of the average individual doing community service for littering today. They ain't OLD. Your reasoning for that? I'd be interested to hear.

Vulgarities? Go on sgforum, or facebook and listen to the youths of Singapore today. :o

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers