Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Marylai

Post by Marylai » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 5:53 pm

fawnmich wrote:Hi for those who just went for the interview, did u happen to c anyone whose height is less den 1.58 being selected? How did they measure the height? Cos i heard some said tt if ur height is not 1.58, they wil asked u to try to reach a mark, if u able to reach den stil have e chance, is it true?
Dear @fawnmich,

They measure height with a standard height scale. We were asked to reach a mark regardless of our height measured. Meaning, if you are 158 and above, you will still be asked to reach the mark. However, if you are below 158, you will be rejected. There were 4 girls with me, 2 were asked to leave after they failed the height test. One was 157cm. It was quite sad as we already got to know each other. :(

But I think, if you are like 157.5cm, you can probably try to stand up super straight during the measurement, it might help a bit. But if you are 157 and below, I doubt they will accept you as it's not a SIA requirement but aviation safety requirement.

woohoo02

Post by woohoo02 » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 6:10 pm

@Marylai: Did you have to go for the scan at the neck? I had to. Kinda like sonogram but neck area. And cost $163! I think if you didn't have to, then yours should be okay. I'm anxious, hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

alyanzi

Post by alyanzi » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 6:16 pm

@purrrie

Hi im sorry i just saw this! Yes i went for the kebaya review last week.

Why didn't you know the venue? I got the email from them and it stated it to be held in STC.

The interviewer is a cabin crew executive whom i suppose is holding a high post in SIA. She is very kind and smiley and she referred to the previous application we submit and addressed the problems that caused us to fail previously. eg for me it was my posture.

You will change into a kebaya. There's no walking. No formal interview questions. Although she will start a small conversation with you.

5 girls were asked to come down at my slot, and all of us passed.

This is my own experience and i don't know it is going to be the same for you! Just be prepared: Conceal your flaws, remember your smile, be mindful of your posture...

Thats all i can say:) i did my medical and i just got a call from M! Good Luck!

darkchoco

Post by darkchoco » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 6:32 pm

Alusnzi, can I know when u went for your second review and medical? When did m call u right aft ur med? I went on last mon and still waiting for her call. Could it be that I got rejected or due to my arm injury which was 10 yr back?

How long was ur notice period?

purrrie

Post by purrrie » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 9:45 pm

@alyanzi

no worries dun mention..i should be greateful to your reply.

once u changed into the kebaya, how many cce were checking on u? 8-)

lilme

Post by lilme » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:08 pm

Marylai wrote:Hey @purrrie,

Happy to share. I did the kebaya at another hotel (Royal Plaza on Scotts). It was together with management round the following day after the first rounds. So as @neelie said, the kebaya round is done by 3 staff in a room. They will ask you dress in a kebaya that fits. I had some problems finding. I was in a group with 5 other ladies. They had already finished their walk and I was still struggling cos I am a bit plump. Finally found one that fit, was asked to walk in sandals that were too small for me.

There is no flood lights for this round. Just normal room lighting. They asked me to bend forward, lift my kebaya to check my heels and ankles, check my neck; front and back, and lift fringe. She stared hard at my 2 zits. Hahah!

I had to go see management again in my kebaya before I was approved to go for medical. But not everyone had to go through that. I think I was a bit too plump, that's why. Still trying to slim down! I am 159 and weigh about 52kg, in case anyone wants to know.

Hope that helps. :lol:

i have to go back for a review again as well.. but im not sure when will that be , one of the interviewers said im too fat . which i frankly dont think i am neither do any of my friends think so . my 167, 52kg . . so im v confused what should i lose :(( . any idea when will the next kabaya round be ? :))

alyanzi

Post by alyanzi » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:23 pm

@purrie

2 cce, but mainly the senior one does the talking. they discuss among themselves.

though i think the cce may change? it's really hard to say! when's your review? just be as prepared as you were last time

@darkchoco

medical last thurs. got her call 4 working days later.
my notice period is 1 month.

did they ask you to do a second medical review to check your arm? or submit any medical document? Were there scars?

i don't know dear... i can only wish you the best! the anxiety is tormenting

Marylai

Post by Marylai » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:04 am

lilme wrote: i have to go back for a review again as well.. but im not sure when will that be , one of the interviewers said im too fat . which i frankly dont think i am neither do any of my friends think so . my 167, 52kg . . so im v confused what should i lose :(( . any idea when will the next kabaya round be ? :))
Huh... if you are too fat then I am obese. That's so weird. Was this last weekend's interview?

Marylai

Post by Marylai » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:07 am

@woohoo02,

You are right, I was not asked to do any extra tests. However, if you do not have any history of thyroid disorder, you could just merely have a large thyroid gland.

I am hoping for the best for you too. Keep me updated.

woohoo02

Post by woohoo02 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 1:44 am

@Marylai: Thanks! I'll be just anxiously waiting. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. The staff who did the scan for me said mine is pretty big but on one side only.

Just wondering if I should try again if they reject me this time because of the thyroid. If I go for surgery which will be very costly, then have to go through all the stressful rounds again.

Anyway, thanks again. If they don't reject me, I'll treat you to lunch. Haha. :mrgreen:

Marylai

Post by Marylai » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 2:31 am

woohoo02 wrote:@Marylai: Thanks! I'll be just anxiously waiting. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. The staff who did the scan for me said mine is pretty big but on one side only.

Just wondering if I should try again if they reject me this time because of the thyroid. If I go for surgery which will be very costly, then have to go through all the stressful rounds again.

Anyway, thanks again. If they don't reject me, I'll treat you to lunch. Haha. :mrgreen:
@woohoo02

I will hold to you it! :D Anyway, are you a guy or a girl?

Frankly, I think you shouldn't do surgery just for this job. If your health is fine as it is, don't do surgery just for this. SIA might not even be remotely touched by it. But of course, if your health will be greatly improved, then by all means.

What's your training date if you clear medical?

woohoo02

Post by woohoo02 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 2:51 am

@Marylai: I'm a guy. The very nice woman who did the scan for me told me that she knows of a leading steward who had thyroid too and he's flying. That gave me a glimpse of hope. But she did say he got it removed.

My availability is December 2010 but during the briefing, I was told that they'd prefer earlier. For the November cluster. I told her should be okay. She said she'd call again in a week's time on the medical results.

I hope the Doctor will pass me through. Even if it means I have to get it removed eventually. Cause this thyroid does not affect anything on me. Well, she knows best. I just hope if I get the call of rejection, they'll let me know why and that I could try again.

And yes, lunch on me if I make it. Haha.

Marylai

Post by Marylai » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:14 pm

@woohoo02

I'm still waiting for my medial results. My heart somersaults like a gymnast on steroids every time the phone rings. And I have been getting WAY more calls than usual. I think the call will come for me this week if I clear the medical exams.

I'm kidding about lunch. Don't worry about it! I did nothing to help you. :)

woohoo02

Post by woohoo02 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:18 pm

@Marylai: The stage where I thought would be the least stressful is now the most stressful of them all!

Anyway, good luck to you! Hope everything works out. Keep me updated. :D

gigi12345

Post by gigi12345 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:30 pm

Hi does anyone know if u have childhood asthma does it affect ur chance of being a cabin crew???