Singapore Expats

Criteria for LVP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
bentancm

Criteria for LVP

Post by bentancm » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 9:52 pm

Hi Guys,
Am new here. Just wish to know if anyone here knows criteria that ICA use to assess whether to approve or disapprove applications for LTVP. My wife's application just got rejected. :( My suspect is that we applied too earlier. Unsure if it is the case. we applied 1 week after we ROM.

Looking forward to any expert advice.
Ben

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Criteria for LVP

Post by ksl » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 1:47 am

bentancm wrote:Hi Guys,
Am new here. Just wish to know if anyone here knows criteria that ICA use to assess whether to approve or disapprove applications for LTVP. My wife's application just got rejected. :( My suspect is that we applied too earlier. Unsure if it is the case. we applied 1 week after we ROM.

Looking forward to any expert advice.
This would depend on many factors.

Are you Singaporean?

Your income needs to be suffcient to look after her, 2500$ a month is the norm for expats and foreigners not sure about Singapore Citizens,

Did you also get permission to marry?

Where did you marry?

What nationality are you?

Was all your documentation in order?

The slightest mistake on the application will get it rejected.

bentancm

Post by bentancm » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:13 am

Hi KSL,
Thanks for the prompt respond. Please see my reply per your query :

Are you Singaporean? Yes I am a Singaporean.

Your income needs to be suffcient to look after her, 2500$ a month is the norm for expats and foreigners not sure about Singapore Citizens,

Did you also get permission to marry? Can you enlighten me this?

Where did you marry? In Singapore ROM

What nationality are you? My wife is Vietnamese

Was all your documentation in order? Yes. I assume this would be as the submission is all online

I just went to ICA to see if I can speak to the officer in charge, to find out reason for rejection. They told me I can't. I can only appeal. Is that true?
Ben

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:35 am

bentancm wrote:
Did you also get permission to marry? Can you enlighten me this?
If your wife has ever worked in Singapore on a WP then you need to get permission from MOM before ROM. If she's never worked in Singapore you don't require permission.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:56 am

I suspect that the OP is correct in original assessment in the opening post. If she is Vietnamese then it is a good possibility that ICA thinks it's a marriage of convenience or a mail-order bride (same thing really). Therefore they may well make 'em wait for a bit just to see how it will pan out.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bentancm

Post by bentancm » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks Guys for the reply. My wife has not worked here before, but was here prior on Student Pass. That was some time back. We are concern as many of her Vietnamese friends had no problem at all. Some gotten 3 months. Some 6. Some a year.
Ben

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:16 pm

If she was here on a Student's Pass, then, apparently she should have gotten permission from MOM to marry. I know they say only if she has worked on a WP is that necessary, but we are getting reports recently of others having had similar problems when having ANY other type of visa other than a normal SVP from ICA. It would seem once MOM has granted a pass for anything, they've got their hooks in and will not release unless everybody kowtows to them.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bentancm

Post by bentancm » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:19 pm

I don't mind kowtow to them if they give me the LTVP. ;p Just wrote a letter of appeal. Unsure if it helps. Was also thinking if I should visit the MP to get a letter. Any suggestions guys?
Ben

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:25 pm

Both are a good start in the right direction. Cannot hurt to have a letter from your MP.

bentancm

Post by bentancm » Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:31 am

Just heard from a friend that I should go straight to apply PR. Was thinking if I should apply extension, PR and LTVP at same time?
Ben

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:13 pm

bentancm wrote:Just heard from a friend that I should go straight to apply PR. Was thinking if I should apply extension, PR and LTVP at same time?
I would suggest you get your MP involved, and emphasise that you want to start a family, before your wife gets employment. A letter from the MP may just push the balance on increasing the child population. Also explain that she will be applying for citizenship when she meets the criteria, for the sake of the family. You could also leave and wait 6 months and apply from Vietnam if all else fails. The online submission appears to be lacking in many areas, normally because supporting evidence is not uploaded from the Isubmit page and there appears to be a lack of links from the form applications to the isubmit. So many will overlook the fact to submit further supporting documentation.