Singapore Expats

exemption from national service

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Tau Beta
Regular
Regular

Post by Tau Beta » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 5:35 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Tau Beta wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:Marsdog

You are in a quandary the way I see it. You need that passport for the right to travel as a Taiwanese citizen since you do not hold any other citizenship.
Citizenship application takes times in SG again and you are in a spot too.
I believe you have to transfer your PR visas once the passport has expired
Unless you are prepared not to travel until you get your SG citizenship I do not see any other way other than to return and serve.
Most countries do not give citizenship easily and set of rules have to be adhered too and varies from one country to another.
No easy way out on this one. ':???:'
Hey MS! How's it going?

Just wondering.... what do you mean by "transfer your PR visa once the pasport has expired"? what is a PR visa? Something very new to me.
I am well !!! Yourself ????

Some countries, have the Permanent Residence Permit and Reentry Permit Glued onto the passport. So if your passport expired and you got a new one, you have to transfer those sticker to the new passport.
For SG, I am not sure at this moment, but you need to inform ICA of your new passport

:)
I'm doing fine bro! Spring time allergies... same crap every year.

So... if Marsdog completes his military service in TW, can he retain his PR status in SG? With an expired passport, can he return to TW at all?

Interesting... this posterboard is like a freakin soap opera. I'm all hooked!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 7:05 am

Tau Beta wrote: I'm doing fine bro! Spring time allergies... same crap every year.

So... if Marsdog completes his military service in TW, can he retain his PR status in SG? With an expired passport, can he return to TW at all?

These are two separate entities you are talking about.

1. If he needs to return to TW, he has to have valid TW passport, he can apply this on the rep office here but I am not sure on their system works
Usual practise is safe passage docs to return to home country not passport then renew passport in home country. This will let you board the plane and clear border control
2. If he has a NEW TW passport, I do not see how he cannot retain his PR as ICA only deals in immigration.The reentry permit back to SG is an issue too as your PR is for life but the REP has to be renewed once you left the country.
3. He will have problem though with CMPB if he is required to serve SG NS

There are too many minefield to navigate , it will be tough but NOT IMPOSSIBLE
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Tau Beta
Regular
Regular

Post by Tau Beta » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:23 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Tau Beta wrote: I'm doing fine bro! Spring time allergies... same crap every year.

These are two separate entities you are talking about.

1. If he needs to return to TW, he has to have valid TW passport, he can apply this on the rep office here but I am not sure on their system works
Usual practise is safe passage docs to return to home country not passport then renew passport in home country. This will let you board the plane and clear border control
2. If he has a NEW TW passport, I do not see how he cannot retain his PR as ICA only deals in immigration.The reentry permit back to SG is an issue too as your PR is for life but the REP has to be renewed once you left the country.
3. He will have problem though with CMPB if he is required to serve SG NS

There are too many minefield to navigate , it will be tough but NOT IMPOSSIBLE

Whao! This dude really screwed! Like you always said, I don't know if he's aware of these issues prior to immigrating. These are complex problems! Man.. I feel for this guy especially him growing up in SG.

Why would SG Garmen not want him to serve SG military now? He's pretty much stuck in SG now.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:19 am

I believe he did say that he is exempted from NS since he is the first gen PR. He wants to gain citizenship is another kettle of fish altogether

I do not know TWN law so I cannot comment.

No passport > No travel> NO SERVE TWN MILITARY equals to NO SG PR as NO PASSPORT TO BEGIN WITH : Hence NO NEED TO APPLY SG CITIZEN as no solution :???:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Tau Beta
Regular
Regular

Post by Tau Beta » Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:03 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:I believe he did say that he is exempted from NS since he is the first gen PR. He wants to gain citizenship is another kettle of fish altogether

I do not know TWN law so I cannot comment.

No passport > No travel> NO SERVE TWN MILITARY equals to NO SG PR as NO PASSPORT TO BEGIN WITH : Hence NO NEED TO APPLY SG CITIZEN as no solution :???:
WHOA!! This is so bad! Nothing could be worst than being stuck in limbo. After all this years in SG....

Well thanks for sharing your thought!

flatfoot

Mod, please contact me

Post by flatfoot » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 5:57 pm

jpatokal wrote:Were they originally Singapore citizens, or just Singapore PR?
Dear Mod,
Due to my lack of seniority in the forum, I cannot PM you.

Could you be in touch with me on this email address; [email protected]

Thank you.
Flatfoot

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Mod, please contact me

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 4:30 am

flatfoot wrote:
jpatokal wrote:Were they originally Singapore citizens, or just Singapore PR?
Dear Mod,
Due to my lack of seniority in the forum, I cannot PM you.

Could you be in touch with me on this email address; [email protected]

Thank you.
if you reply to this, you can PM

s3nt1n3l

Post by s3nt1n3l » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 8:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sure.

Provided which you have done your National Service FIRST. Otherwise, probably not.
So this means if I decided to go through NS and renounce my PR after that, I will still be able to work/study here through work/study pass ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 9:20 pm

In normal circumstances, yes. Under the current pogrom against foreigners, I wouldn't bet a slug nickel on it. But, in theory, no, there should be no problems either working here or studying here assuming all other things being up to snuff.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

s3nt1n3l

Post by s3nt1n3l » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 9:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:In normal circumstances, yes. Under the current pogrom against foreigners, I wouldn't bet a slug nickel on it. But, in theory, no, there should be no problems either working here or studying here assuming all other things being up to snuff.
I see. thanks for the quick replu

I'm asking this right now because I just received pre-enlistment letter from MINDEF and considering whether I should just serve NS and get this over with.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 4:04 am

s3nt1n3l wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:In normal circumstances, yes. Under the current pogrom against foreigners, I wouldn't bet a slug nickel on it. But, in theory, no, there should be no problems either working here or studying here assuming all other things being up to snuff.

I'm asking this right now because I just received pre-enlistment letter from MINDEF and considering whether I should just serve NS and get this over with.
I would be incline to advise you NOT to give up your PR until you serve your NS if you choose to go down this route. Wait until you have completed your NS which will be less than 2 yrs nowadays. Try not defer until 21 or later as you will be on a different league albeit slower compare to those that join at 18 or 19. Yeah I know you are still young but they are younger than you and faster and quicker and they will finish the NS by 21 hence earlier than you .
Look for opportunity in SG then decide after a year or two. Though you can comeback to work in SG after renounced PR once you have done your NS under EP , but your choices are far greater and wider if you have your PR still intact after NS. To regain PR after renunciation is like calling the cow to jump over the moon.It aint gonna happen.
Why shut the door completely as you might never know what is install for you in the future.

s3nt1n3l

Post by s3nt1n3l » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 9:11 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
s3nt1n3l wrote:

I would be incline to advise you NOT to give up your PR until you serve your NS if you choose to go down this route. Wait until you have completed your NS which will be less than 2 yrs nowadays. Try not defer until 21 or later as you will be on a different league albeit slower compare to those that join at 18 or 19. Yeah I know you are still young but they are younger than you and faster and quicker and they will finish the NS by 21 hence earlier than you .
Look for opportunity in SG then decide after a year or two. Though you can comeback to work in SG after renounced PR once you have done your NS under EP , but your choices are far greater and wider if you have your PR still intact after NS. To regain PR after renunciation is like calling the cow to jump over the moon.It aint gonna happen.
Why shut the door completely as you might never know what is install for you in the future.
I see.

But if I decide to renounce my PR without having to serve NS, what should I do with my pre-enlisment letter ?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 9:21 am

s3nt1n3l wrote:But if I decide to renounce my PR without having to serve NS, what should I do with my pre-enlisment letter ?
Throw it away, leave Singapore, change your identity and pray you'll never have to step into Singapore ever again. Ever.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

s3nt1n3l

Post by s3nt1n3l » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:34 am

nakatago wrote:
s3nt1n3l wrote:But if I decide to renounce my PR without having to serve NS, what should I do with my pre-enlisment letter ?
Throw it away, leave Singapore, change your identity and pray you'll never have to step into Singapore ever again. Ever.
hmmm.

but I still have my final sem in my poly.

I can't just do that. can I ? :?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:43 am

s3nt1n3l wrote:
nakatago wrote:
hmmm.

but I still have my final sem in my poly.

I can't just do that. can I ? :?
Stay in school; get your degree. Do your NS. Think of it as two years of extra-curricular activities/sabbatical that will open you to possible networks or travel, gain different perspectives and soul searching. By then, you would have made a decision if you'll keep your PR or not.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."