Singapore Expats

Things I don't like about Singapore

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
painkillerPink

Post by painkillerPink » Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:01 am

JR8 wrote: You're a bit fresh for a new-boy aren't you? Watch it!
Noted... Yessiree... i'll try not to enjoy this too much :)
"Dead flies make a perfumer's oil stink..."

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:35 am

Now having landed and been here almost 6 weeks, I can of course claim to be an expert in all things Singapore and can pitch in my own peeves about this place. Mind you, I generally love it and can even get used to the heat and humidity..

My main peeve are the aunties barging in as soon as the MRT doors open. I am a tad bit recalcitrant - I usually assume a wider stance and do not budge.

I have either not experienced all the other dislikes or I might be obtuse - taxi rides have been a pleasure. Almost all the cabbies have been polite and plesant - I usually strike a conversation with them and it has given me an interesting insight into the local mindset.

I have been also done the buses quite a bit and no major peeves.

No - no olfactory displeasure to report. I used to live in NY - compared to the NY BO and urine smells assailing you in the subway - the MRT/Bus system is like a posie. And yes, I have been to the not-set-foot-upon-by-westerners spots and localities.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 20 Sep 2010 2:22 pm

painkillerPink wrote:a) taxi drivers - they still ask the passenger where exactly the place is. Singapore is so small! How can they not know where Bukit Timah road is??
Hard to believe they don't. Very likely you were simply not understood.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 20 Sep 2010 2:28 pm

@beenthere, majority of the annoyances around are fatigue/cumulation based. For me it was only after 1.5y of staying here I started to notice them. You still have to collect some critical mass :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Sep 2010 3:30 pm

beenthere,

You remind me of Ozchick when she first arrived here. Everything was green and rosy for her as well..........

and x9200 is perxactly right. It is definitely a cumulative overload of the senses. In the beginning it's just a quirk, you tell yourself. Then it becomes a bummer and eventually it becomes a full thorn in the side because you know that these people are smarter than that. They have to be cause the gahment tells you how smart they are all the time. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 20 Sep 2010 6:21 pm

Word :shooting:

wasssaaabiii

Post by wasssaaabiii » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 6:37 am

I'm always amused by kids with runny noses who just keep licking their mucus clean off their philtrum. :P :lol:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 8:01 am

Things I don't like... hmmm... after 6 years, not much. Except for: the idiots who deliver newspapers early in the morning, with the loudest possible motorbikes. There simply cannot be people more clueless than these idiots who know people are asleep but still remove the baffles from the 125cc 'screamers' Idiots!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 9:58 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Things I don't like... hmmm... after 6 years, not much. Except for: the idiots who deliver newspapers early in the morning, with the loudest possible motorbikes. There simply cannot be people more clueless than these idiots who know people are asleep but still remove the baffles from the 125cc 'screamers' Idiots!
Nope - they just don't give a ... Why should you be able to sleep while they have to be awake - and the baffles impair the performance of their bikes (even if it is a 125cc!)

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:32 am

carteki wrote:and the baffles impair the performance of their bikes (even if it is a 125cc!)
Actually, this is not true.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 2:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:beenthere,

You remind me of Ozchick when she first arrived here. Everything was green and rosy for her as well..........

and x9200 is perxactly right. It is definitely a cumulative overload of the senses. In the beginning it's just a quirk, you tell yourself. Then it becomes a bummer and eventually it becomes a full thorn in the side because you know that these people are smarter than that. They have to be cause the gahment tells you how smart they are all the time. :roll:
ugh ... so it builds up ... any surefire way to detox once in a while?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 3:46 pm

beenthere wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:beenthere,

ugh ... so it builds up ... any surefire way to detox once in a while?
Head down to Boat Quay, get loaded up on too expensive Kilkenney pints and thank your lucky stars that you live in such a good place.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 4:06 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
carteki wrote:and the baffles impair the performance of their bikes (even if it is a 125cc!)
But this is how they think...

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 4:29 pm

carteki wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
But this is how they think...
Oh... I fully agree... most Harley riders are the same way... louder must be faster... the butt dyno says it is true.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 5:06 pm

I thought it, so I gotta ask it.

Carteki, speaking of "the butt dyno says it is true."

Which one do you prefer to straddle? The throbbing Harley or the 12K RPM rice burners? :devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers