Singapore Expats

Thumbprinting for Foreigners

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jjasonn

Thumbprinting for Foreigners

Post by jjasonn » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 4:13 am

Hi. Are foreigners liable to any thumb printing in Singapore when going through Immigration?

Also I've never been to Singapore so I'll like to ask what are the procedures upon landing and such. Probably like do the officer just scan the biometric passport and you're able to clear Immigration or are they other stuffs we have to bring along and fill in?

I am from Japan in case this might helps.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 4:46 am

Do not worry They will only scan your PP Biometric. No major drama . Unless you are carrying illicit item. Thumb printing is for those that has quick access card
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 9:44 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Do not worry They will only scan your PP Biometric. No major drama . Unless you are carrying illicit item. Thumb printing is for those that has quick access card
i would like to jump in and ask...when we collect our ep...they do some fingerprinting....when is that fingerprinting used? I dont seem to encounter any place that uses that data..

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 9:51 am

Sometimes thumb prints are taken at immigration, sometimes not. I golf at Batam all the time. For many weeks in a row, had to put thumb on reader. Then, all of a sudden, readers disappeared. And, when they were thumb printing, everyone was thumb printed.

Same at Changi. Had to use reader, then went away.

Thumb prints are used for automated access gates... always. If you are PR you don't need an access card, just your passport.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 9:56 am

carlsum1986 wrote: i would like to jump in and ask...when we collect our ep...they do some fingerprinting....when is that fingerprinting used? I dont seem to encounter any place that uses that data..
It is meant more for PCC and PID for ICA and Police. Knowing SG "Kiasuism" of being wary of the unforeseen hence the fingerprinting. If you are a Sger or PR going thru Immigration will be a breeze using your access card and your thumb
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:31 am

Strong Eagle wrote: Thumb prints are used for automated access gates... always. If you are PR you don't need an access card, just your passport.
Same for EP now too - just need to register with ICA in Lavender

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:42 am

carteki wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: Thumb prints are used for automated access gates... always. If you are PR you don't need an access card, just your passport.
Same for EP now too - just need to register with ICA in Lavender
there is a fee for ep holders rite?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 5:10 pm

$30 when I did it if I remember correctly but that was pre-passport days and they had to print a special card. Don't know what it is now.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 4:41 am

carteki wrote:$30 when I did it if I remember correctly but that was pre-passport days and they had to print a special card. Don't know what it is now.
Correct

http://www.ica.gov.sg/news_details.aspx ... &secid=192

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 5:44 am

Oso don need 'access card' if you have LTVP... as they already have your prints.

So at airpot lah, just passpot page and thumb-pring ah, and then sail though

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 5:56 am

JR8 wrote:Oso don need 'access card' if you have LTVP... as they already have your prints.

Oii!!! Selamat Hari Raya !! Maaf Zahir Batin !! Ketupat Rendang sudah buat ?? Or Lager and sauserkraut ?? :lol:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:08 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
carteki wrote:$30 when I did it if I remember correctly but that was pre-passport days and they had to print a special card. Don't know what it is now.
Correct

It's still the case you need an access card, according to ICA, and still for $30. Not really sure how helpful the card would be, sometimes i see longer queues for the auto-gates than i do to go through the regular Resident Channel.

On the departure it might help more where everybody goes through together but i'm 50:50 on whether its worth the $30 and the trip to Kallang.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:42 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
Correct

It's still the case you need an access card, according to ICA, and still for $30. Not really sure how helpful the card would be, sometimes i see longer queues for the auto-gates than i do to go through the regular Resident Channel.

On the departure it might help more where everybody goes through together but i'm 50:50 on whether its worth the $30 and the trip to Kallang.
Definitely great for departures at Changi, Tanah Merah, and Harborfront, usually good for return at Changi, sometimes at Tanah Merah.

The automated gates themselves are great! All the Singaporeans queue up to use them, meaning a short line in the citizens/residents line.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 14 Sep 2010 7:36 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
JR8 wrote:Oso don need 'access card' if you have LTVP... as they already have your prints.

Oii!!! Selamat Hari Raya !! Maaf Zahir Batin !! Ketupat Rendang sudah buat ?? Or Lager and sauserkraut ?? :lol:
:D Thank your for your seasonal greeting. Yes the relatives smuggled in a vast amount of food including a large carton of home made rendang. So we got pretty well stuck into that lot for our family Raya meal this weekend (plus homemade chicken/potato curry, and mango/macadamia cake). I helped my lunch go down with a couple of lagers too :)

p.s. Yes I am getting a thorough re-immersing in Singlish! :? :)