Singapore Expats

PR Application for a P1 Holder

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hammadkkhan

PR Application for a P1 Holder

Post by hammadkkhan » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 9:26 am

Hi Friends,
Tried to search the forum for this but did not get the exact answer, so here is my query:

My Family Status:
My EP: P1 (granted 2 weeks ago)
Spouse: Doctor on a Dep Pass (will be coming to Singapore to search for a job in November)
Two Kids (5 year old and a 2 year old) on a dependent pass

Query:
ICA web site says: "You can apply for a PR as soon as you are given an EP" and that "It takes 6 months approx. from the time of initial application to get the PR".
I have two issues here:

1). Every where in this forum, i see discussions on rejection and when is the best time to apply and waiting for 1-2 years before applying. All of this is a bit inconsistent with the information from ICA!!

2). The PR application (for EP holders) needs to be submitted with 12 months CPF record and last 3 year taxation records. How in the world can i have my CPF records and tax documents when i have just landed in Singapore and have started my employment. Don't you think (1) and (2) above contradict each other? one tells you that you can apply as soon as you get the EP and the other asks for 12 months CPF and tax proof!!!!

Confused and will highly appreciate a detailed response or at least something specific to my situation and should i be applying immediately? :???:

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR Application for a P1 Holder

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 9:33 am

hammadkkhan wrote:Hi Friends,
Tried to search the forum for this but did not get the exact answer, so here is my query:

My Family Status:
Spouse: Doctor on a Dep Pass (will be coming to Singapore to search for a job in November)

Query:
ICA web site says: "You can apply for a PR as soon as you are given an EP" and that "It takes 6 months approx. from the time of initial application to get the PR".
I have two issues here:

1). Every where in this forum, i see discussions on rejection and when is the best time to apply and waiting for 1-2 years before applying. All of this is a bit inconsistent with the information from ICA!!

2). The PR application (for EP holders) needs to be submitted with 12 months CPF record and last 3 year taxation records. How in the world can i have my CPF records and tax documents when i have just landed in Singapore and have started my employment. Don't you think (1) and (2) above contradict each other? one tells you that you can apply as soon as you get the EP and the other asks for 12 months CPF and tax proof!!!!

Confused and will highly appreciate a detailed response or at least something specific to my situation and should i be applying immediately? :???:
EP Holders will not have CPF contribution and so would be requested for a 6 months payslip.

As per the current trend you can apply for PR once you have been here in SG for atleast a minimum of 2 years.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:26 am

Nobody here has a crystal ball, and...

When I applied for PR in 2007 (after being here 2 years), it took 3 months to complete, with my wife coming as PR with me.

Now, go back and read the board.

a) Some people have been waiting more than a year.
b) It is alleged that it takes this long because of so many PR applications.
c) It is alleged that it takes this long because it is hard to vet credentials.
d) There is a strong populist backlash against 'foreign talent' right now, and PAP is keenly aware that economically unhappy populations don't make good voters.
e) There has been lots of anti foreigner talk amongst all sorts of gahmen officials, even though MM Lee says Singapore still needs skilled foreigners.
f) People who previously got EP's are not having them renewed.

So, bottom line is:

a) If you and wife have desirable skill sets, you'll probably get PR.
b) You will be rejected if you apply immediately, just because of the populist sentiments and the gahmen's response, and the fact that you are an unknown at this point.
c) Your EP is probably for two years. If you renew, then you should go for PR. If they won't renew your EP, chances are great that they wouldn't give you PR, either.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:29 am

There isn't any hard and fast rule about minimum stay before applying for PR. Actually forums are not the best place to judge about the outcome. You will mostly find only people who have been rejected who would report on forums about their rejection. So if you look at only the cases on the forum you will be overwhelmed by the number of rejections and will think you will never get PR. Its like going to a hospital and thinking that everyone in the world is sick :)

Every case is different. A person with a Q pass is completely different from a person with P1. So is a person from India/PRC different from Vietnam or USA. You never know what the weightages are for all these factors.

If 2 years was the minimum then is there a maximum? There are people who were rejected because they waited for 3 years or more and didnt apply when times were good.

When you actually complete 2 years and go to apply the rules might be completely different. :x

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:11 am

hammadkkhan wrote:

This refers to if an current PR is sponsoring his/her spouse or child to become PR

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:33 am

hammadkkhan wrote:
My Family Status:
I was a P1 holder, I applied after 17 months and received PR inside of three month, awarded just last month. I was able to provide 2 yrs of tax returns

However, our circumstances are very different:
I am single
I am in a profession in big demand (don't know about yours)
I divested most of my homeland assets (which shows commitment to SG)

You are not yet showing commitment to SG...you wife isn't even here! You don't say where your kids are...but without your family unit functioning in Singapore you have no chance. Also, what flavour are your kids? If any are male, you realise they will be liable for national service, right?

Out of interest, if you just arrived, why are you looking to get PR?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 3:26 pm

I received an update today from one of my sources re the Citizenship issue in the news. It would seem that the plan is to target young male PR's who are Single or Married AND have separated families and/or children that have not been made PR's. The other targeted group are the PR families who have bought HDB flats but haven't applied for citizenship yet. If they don't take up the offer of citizenship, they will also probably have their PR either revoked or at least not renew their REP's. It's a pretty good way to get rid of the abusers AND mollify the heartlanders who say the PR are driving up HDB prices as well. And, if they are lucky, get 50K new citizens in the process? Interesting, no? How true this really is I don't know.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:51 pm

SMS & MS, What impact do you think all these measures will have on the HDB housing market? The last time they did some tightening on the rules on buying HDB it didnt work much. But now it looks like the restrictions are substantial. I mean you need to live in your HDB flat for 5 years before selling it? I think 5 years is really long time frame. Do you think this will discourage people enough to actually see the crazy COVs to go away? How nice it would be to have 0 COV. :) Wishfull thinking I guess.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 09 Sep 2010 7:08 am

revhappy wrote:SMS & MS, What impact do you think all these measures will have on the HDB housing market? The last time they did some tightening on the rules on buying HDB it didnt work much. But now it looks like the restrictions are substantial. I mean you need to live in your HDB flat for 5 years before selling it? I think 5 years is really long time frame. Do you think this will discourage people enough to actually see the crazy COVs to go away? How nice it would be to have 0 COV. :) Wishfull thinking I guess.
Revhappy

First of all , I have not much info on what SMS gather recently. I have to wait and see what is coming and will relate to you guys.
On your question, well, from past experience and observation, Sgers and the like just work around whatever the Gahmen policy is and be creative. Have you not notice that ? From ethnic disintegration of buying HDB houses to executive condos to ERP.
It will impact initially . Later someone will get creative then the Gahmen tweak the guideline. Has been , always be, Just have to get use to it.

@ Hamadkhan ; I would be incline for you to come here and work b4 proceeding with PR. This is wishful thinking of you base on current rumbling. Get over here and see how it works. I bet ya, it is very different from NZ on how things are done to how fast you want it to be done.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!