Singapore Expats

Skiing and snowboarding - calling Singapore's powder junkies

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Silent Thunder

Skiing and snowboarding - calling Singapore's powder junkies

Post by Silent Thunder » Sat, 07 Nov 2009 4:14 pm

Hi all,

I moved to Singapore in the summer and have been to NZ twice so far to go skiing - had an absolute ball on both occasions, but was there on my own (to be fair, I went primarily on business and met many great guys down there, too).

I'd like to go skiing more often, about 3-4 times a year for a week or so, but seeing as we live in the Tropics, unfortunately you cannot just jump in the car or on a plane and be carving new lines into fresh powder within 2 hours.

I'm sure that there are many others out here in Singapore who share their passion for skiing and snowboarding with me, locals and expats alike, so I would like to hear from all of you out here and surrect a small club together that offered to go on powder trips together every 2-3 months of the year (that doesn't mean you'd have to come on every trip, of course, but as different people have different schedules, it would be great to give everybody enough choice, as long as we have enough people on board in general).

I'm by no means a great skier yet, but have the desire to improve seriously over the coming years. What matters the most to me, however, is to have fun and enjoy some fabulous white scenery while getting my adrenaline fix on the slopes and laugh and relax over a few drinks in the evening with a like-minded team.

From the research I have done there seem to be three major destinations available:
1. New Zealand (Season: July - October)
2. Japan (December - May)
3. India, Himalayas (January - April)

Obviously, there is no stopping us from arranging trips further afield to the Rockies in the US and Canada, to Chile and Argentina, and of course the Alps and other European ski fields, only that those might (only MIGHT, of course!) cost a little bit more than staying here in the region...

So, what do you guys say? Would anybody be up for that?

Depending on how many fellow minded board-riders and twin-tippers we'll find, we might be able to pull the first trip off in the late (Northern) winter / early spring of next year! :D

Let me know, Powder Troopers!
Silent Thunder

etsuyue

Re: Skiing and snowboarding - calling Singapore's powder jun

Post by etsuyue » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:52 am

Will you be interested in skiing in Korea?

Silent Thunder

Post by Silent Thunder » Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:13 pm

Sure, as long as there's enough snow! :D

happycycler

Chinese NY ski trip in Japan?

Post by happycycler » Sat, 21 Nov 2009 9:26 am

I booked flights to Tokyo but havent organised the rest..would be happy to look into joining a group if I see good organisation..we need someone who knows where and best value...is this Hokkaido?

Wuza

Post by Wuza » Sun, 22 Nov 2009 1:09 pm

I dont have my gear here but I would potentially be interested in some trips. feel free to PM me.

Peruvia

Post by Peruvia » Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:18 pm

I'm keen too!

ranch

Post by ranch » Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:21 pm

Did not go skiing the last 3 years. Would be happy to join

Resource Consumer

Post by Resource Consumer » Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:16 pm

Would you consider Mt Rigi in Switzerland? It is also a good place for skiing.

tress

Post by tress » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 8:18 am

hi, my husband and I would love to join. brought our gear back, I'm not as good as my hubby is at snowboarding but if you have space in your group we'd love to be a part of it :)

Silent Thunder

Post by Silent Thunder » Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:06 am

Hi all,

first of all, a big apology for not having been in touch earlier. Nobody had replied for quite a few days after I posted this, so i thought that there were simply no interested snow junkies around in Singapore - it appears I was wrong! :D

As I mentioned in my PMs, I personally will be in the Alps in two weeks with gf and a couple of friends (Verbier). If anybody wants to join last minute, feel more than welcome to, although it may be a bit short notice!

So what are the next options? I personally might be able to squeeze in a short week in Japan in May, and yes, there is indeed a resort which is perfect for skiing and riding that late in the spring. Have a look here:
http://www.outdoorjapan.com/contents/fe ... ge=english

Thereafter, as many people indicated already, the Southern Hemisphere comes back into play. I personally can wholeheartedly recommend the South Island of New Zealand - was there twice last year, and the conditions were pristine and picture-perfect on both occasions. Plus it's actually quite cheap once you are there, everybody speaks English and the people are very laid back. And the powder there is legendary...
The season there starts in early July.

Would anybody be interested in either option? I may only be able to do 4-5 days respectively myself, but it shouldn't stop anybody who wants to go for longer (or even shorter!) at the same time. :)

Any takers?

ST

kantra

Post by kantra » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 2:37 pm

ST,

Are you planning any trips for the year end? Pls PM me for any future trips. I'm intermediate snowboarder. Thanks.

Mulherengo

Post by Mulherengo » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 5:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Sure, I am in, would be more than happy to go!

Cheers

gregwoon

Post by gregwoon » Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:06 pm

I've been looking for a bunch just like this!

Is there an email list going? I'd love to be part of it.

Something I chanced upon for inspiration!

http://www.chasejarvis.com

Go to "Portfolios", then "Stevens Pass"

nbogard

Post by nbogard » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:26 pm

Definitely interested. My wife and I are both snowboarders; she is a beginner and I have about 10 seasons experience. I am a grad student at NUS and we're surviving on my income alone, so more than one or two trips a year is unlikely. But we'll scrape together what we can to get back on the slopes. The Southern Hemisphere season sounds like our earliest bet.

Keep me updated!

-Nick

RugbyLad

Post by RugbyLad » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 2:46 pm

Hi!
I think that snowboarding this winter is quite unrealistic for me as I just moved here and have loads of work. But I'm going to go to NZ end of Sep, start Oct 2011. I bought few tickets for the Rugby World Cup there but going to rent a minibus/jeep and spend 1.5-2 weeks in mountains. Hopefuly I'll have few friends from Ireland and Russia with me. Anyway if someone wanna join it will be great.
We're late 20s so probably for 18-20y.o. people it will be a bit boring ;) Snowboarding level is intermediate/ upper-intermediate. I did about 2-4 weeks of backcountry/freeride but around 4 years ago. Last 3 seasons did more slopes, just few off-piste sessions :(