Singapore Expats

Can University apply for LOC for me , as part time lecturer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
BusyBeeee

Can University apply for LOC for me , as part time lecturer

Post by BusyBeeee » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 3:59 pm

Hi all

I am currently on DP , my husband holding an EP.

I have got an offer for joining as a part time lecturer from one of the international colleges in Singapore.

The Univ says that they cannot apply for an LOC for me as they are taking me on a part time basis , paying me on an hourly rate.

Is that so , or can they apply for an LOC for me ?

Please advise.

Thanks in Advance

nakatago

Re: Can University apply for LOC for me , as part time lect

Post by nakatago » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 5:21 pm

BusyBeeee wrote:Hi all

I have got an offer for joining as a part time lecturer from one of the international colleges in Singapore.

The Univ says that they cannot apply for an LOC for me as they are taking me on a part time basis , paying me on an hourly rate.

Please advise.

Thanks in Advance
your husband's employer will have to apply for the LOC since they applied for the EP.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 5:33 pm

nakatago wrote: your husband's employer will have to apply for the LOC since they applied for the EP.
Not correct I'm afraid, it will be the DP holder's employer who needs to fill out the LOC application.

BusyBeeee

Post by BusyBeeee » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 5:39 pm

aah Thanks Saint ..... I was wondering .....

but can they apply for me to work part time .... on an hourly basis I am currently not looking into full time coz i have a baby at home.

The Univ has no idea how to proceed they say they have mailed MOM but its been some time and i would like to do something about this issue ... its become an impasse with me saying the Univ has to apply and the Univ saying I have to and no reply from MOm so far. :???:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 5:41 pm

Saint wrote:
nakatago wrote: your husband's employer will have to apply for the LOC since they applied for the EP.
Not correct I'm afraid, it will be the DP holder's employer who needs to fill out the LOC application.
ah yes. sorry, OP. i got it mixed up. from anecdotal evidence, a 2-day processing time sounds reasonable so your impasse is puzzling. your employer will indeed apply but from other anecdotal evidence, a lot of employers don't know much about hiring dp's if at all. :-|
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BusyBeeee

Post by BusyBeeee » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 5:52 pm

yes i too have read a two day is all it takes to get an LOC .... but the Univ insists that they cannot apply as they would not be having a monthly contract with me but a weekly one based on an hourly pay.

I have send them the link from the MOM site ... saying that apply for LOC .. this is how to do it etc . but the HR personnel gets back to me with "do not want to have an issue with MOM later , let me confirm , have sent a mail" which was a week back ..... mean while the Dean keeps asking me where my LOC is , so that she can assign classes to me .

is the hourly pay a deterrent to LOC being applied and issued ?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 6:22 pm

nakatago wrote:
BusyBeeee wrote:Hi all

Please advise.

Thanks in Advance
your husband's employer will have to apply for the LOC since they applied for the EP.
Absolutely not correct. The company wishing to hire the DP applies for the letter of consent.

OP, applying for a letter of consent is a no brainer. All they have to do is attach a letter stating your employment conditions and noting that the numbers filled in on the LOC form for monthly salary are estimates, dependent upon actual hours worked.

I know a couple of DP's who took on part time work with an LOC. And with a college making app it really ought to be a no brainer.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 6:25 pm

BusyBeeee wrote:yes i too have read a two day is all it takes to get an LOC .... but the Univ insists that they cannot apply as they would not be having a monthly contract with me but a weekly one based on an hourly pay.

I have send them the link from the MOM site ... saying that apply for LOC .. this is how to do it etc . but the HR personnel gets back to me with "do not want to have an issue with MOM later , let me confirm , have sent a mail" which was a week back ..... mean while the Dean keeps asking me where my LOC is , so that she can assign classes to me .

Look at the form yourself:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... OCForm.pdf

Then see how anal they can be. Tell them to set it up. No contract is required. Unless you are doing a hair studio, tuition, geomany, whoring, you'll probably be approved.

PS: HR people in SG are incredibly anal.

BusyBeeee

Post by BusyBeeee » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 6:30 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
BusyBeeee wrote:yes i too have read a two day is all it takes to get an LOC .... but the Univ insists that they cannot apply as they would not be having a monthly contract with me but a weekly one based on an hourly pay.

Look at the form yourself:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... OCForm.pdf

Then see how anal they can be. Tell them to set it up. No contract is required. Unless you are doing a hair studio, tuition, geomany, whoring, you'll probably be approved.

:P

Would you believe it ... if I said I have already sent them all this ... explained all this ... She still tells me this is about monthly pay ..." the form has monthly pay on it we will be paying you hourly , let's see what MOM says "

And I dunno if MOm will bother responding to such straight forward .."explained on the site " matter

BusyBeeee

Post by BusyBeeee » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 6:43 pm

Called up the person in charge once more with all the confidence from the response here and she told me that the issue is that they are not taking me on as an employee ... but as a freelancer so she is confused about MOM regulation regarding LOC for a freelancer..

So i wont be apart time employee but a freelancer ... does that change things , Can the Univ still put in an application

:???: :???:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 27 Aug 2010 3:30 am

BusyBeeee wrote:Called up the person in charge once more with all the confidence from the response here and she told me that the issue is that they are not taking me on as an employee ... but as a freelancer so she is confused about MOM regulation regarding LOC for a freelancer..

So i wont be apart time employee but a freelancer ... does that change things , Can the Univ still put in an application

:???: :???:
Set yourself up as a sole proprietor, you can then hire yourself out! Follow the information on the other thread http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic67690-60.html

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Aug 2010 6:50 am

Be careful if you go the self-employed route. Setting yourself up as a teacher with your own business, you may need other government certifications as an educational institution. I don't know, but it wouldn't be quite the same as a tuition agency ( I'm not sure if it is an allowable "business" for DP holders) so it might be good to do some further research in that area with the MOE and MOM.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BusyBeeee

Post by BusyBeeee » Fri, 27 Aug 2010 1:03 pm

No i dont think the sole proprietorship option is feasible . I guess i will for the University's decision and go by that.

Thanks for all the responses :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 2:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Be careful if you go the self-employed route. Setting yourself up as a teacher with your own business, you may need other government certifications as an educational institution. I don't know, but it wouldn't be quite the same as a tuition agency ( I'm not sure if it is an allowable "business" for DP holders) so it might be good to do some further research in that area with the MOE and MOM.
Lucky you mentioned that! Our maths tuition teacher for our daughter as just had a visit from MOM or MOE for having 20 pupils in her home. I wonder if she will reduce the price :)

BusyBeeee

Post by BusyBeeee » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies .....

like most of you might have already expected , they refused to write in for an LOC for me .

Had two more interviews , two more selections and job offers and then the same LOC , impasse

Its been more than 6 months after I have landed in Singapore, Is there any way at all for a dependent pass holder to find a job in Singapore ?