Singapore Expats

Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
owis

Singapore

Post by owis » Mon, 23 Aug 2010 9:46 pm

Hi New to Singapore relocated from China after spending 9yrs there. Trying to find my bearings but not always easy so would like some helpful pointers.

1. best place to buy nice rugs (not IKEA please)
2. best place to get lighting (again not IKEA)
3. cheaper supermarket other than fair price/Giant
4. nic knick things such ornaments, place mats, table clothes etc
5. wet market loacted near Tampanies

Now a couple of grummbles;

Its so expensive here. Not impressed with Starhub service have been waiting 2 weeks for mobiles and now been told could be 30 days for landline! People delivering stuff 3-6pm and never turn up. Now body moving up the bus and blocking the door not good with two kids and a pushchair. need a hundred or more store cards and dont get my started on GST :mad:

:???:

Thanks

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Singapore

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 24 Aug 2010 4:43 am

owis wrote:Hi New to Singapore relocated from China after spending 9yrs there. Trying to find my bearings but not always easy so would like some helpful pointers.

1. best place to buy nice rugs (not IKEA please)
Joo Chiat Complex. Good and bargainable

2. best place to get lighting (again not IKEA)
IMM at Jurong . Many choices

3. cheaper supermarket other than fair price/Giant
Sheng Shiong . Cheap and good. There is one at Bukit Panjang and the other at Woodland Check point

4. nic knick things such ornaments, place mats, table clothes etc

Cannot help you on this

5. wet market loacted near Tampanies
Do not know

Now a couple of grummbles;

Its so expensive here. Not impressed with Starhub service have been waiting 2 weeks for mobiles and now been told could be 30 days for landline! People delivering stuff 3-6pm and never turn up. Now body moving up the bus and blocking the door not good with two kids and a pushchair. need a hundred or more store cards and dont get my started on GST :mad:

:???:

Thanks
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!