Singapore Expats

An IT job in Singapore for a Westerner

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
anrec

An IT job in Singapore for a Westerner

Post by anrec » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 3:05 pm

Hi,

I am an IT professional with about 6 years experience in the U.S. I am looking for an opportunity to spend some time in Asia, and Singapore is one of the places I am looking at. I would like to find a role of a Senior Software Developer or a Development Lead, in high-tech or finance industry. I would imagine it would be a larger company or a bank that would be willing to bring an expat - is this correct?

Does anyone happen to have any clues as to what is the most efficient approach to a search like this? Should I be checking the job ***? Are there agencies/recruiters that specialize on working with these industry?

And in general, what agencies or recruiters are worth contacting?

Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 3:08 pm

actually there are alot of threads here that provide good sites and advice on how to secure a job for an expat..just some effort to dig it up and read it all...

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: An IT job in Singapore for a Westerner

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 3:49 pm

anrec wrote:Hi,

I am an IT professional with about 6 years experience in the U.S. I am looking for an opportunity to spend some time in Asia, and Singapore is one of the places I am looking at. I would like to find a role of a Senior Software Developer or a Development Lead, in high-tech or finance industry. I would imagine it would be a larger company or a bank that would be willing to bring an expat - is this correct?

Does anyone happen to have any clues as to what is the most efficient approach to a search like this? Should I be checking the job ***? Are there agencies/recruiters that specialize on working with these industry?

And in general, what agencies or recruiters are worth contacting?

Any pointers would be highly appreciated.
To be fair with you chances in IT in Singapore are bright only in the case when the applicant is in Singapore and can appear for the face to face interview and if selected they expect the candidate to join in mostly < 1 month time.

But if the IT Skill that you have is of rare find in Singapore then they might encourage for a Telephonic interview.

You can upload your resume in sites like

jobsdb.com.sg
monster.com.sg
http://www.jobstreet.com.sg/

But chances to get a call while you are abroad are very slim.

Good Luck

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: An IT job in Singapore for a Westerner

Post by JayCee » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 4:02 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
To be fair with you chances in IT in Singapore are bright only in the case when the applicant is in Singapore and can appear for the face to face interview and if selected they expect the candidate to join in mostly < 1 month time.

But if the IT Skill that you have is of rare find in Singapore then they might encourage for a Telephonic interview.

You can upload your resume in sites like

jobsdb.com.sg
monster.com.sg
http://www.jobstreet.com.sg/

But chances to get a call while you are abroad are very slim.

Good Luck
Sorry but this is not true at all.

A number of companies in the banking industry have been ramping up their IT centres in Singapore and most will start with telephone interviews to avoid wasting too much time in the beginning. If candidates make it further then usually a video conference can be set up in the local office of the country you are in (I got my job when I was back in the UK, after the first telephone interview I then went to the company's London office to have the video call with people in Singapore).

I know of others who did the same thing, and even people coming from places like the Philippines or India where the company doesn't have video conferencing managed to get their jobs based on a number of telephone interviews (I know because I interviewed some of them)

JakeF

Post by JakeF » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 8:14 pm

Investment banks will be your best bet. Quite a few have their Global ops stationed in Singapore. I know my bank does.. Im always calling Singapore :)