Singapore Expats

Jobless Singaporean Age 49

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ddsgn

Jobless Singaporean Age 49

Post by ddsgn » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 8:52 am

As a business manager with more than 20 years of experience, I was exposed to regional work across China, Indonesia and particularly Vietnam, dealing with multiple commodities which include animal feed, fertilizer, minerals, hotel ammenities and etc.

But yet I was not abled to land myself a job after I was replaced by a cheaper and non experienced Manager when I was based in Vietnam as Chief Representative. Moreover I speaks Vietnamese, English, Mandarin and other local dialects.

Can anyone of you enlighten me or recommend to me a job?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 9:22 am

Try the major job boards and our classifieds section. Also job fairs and your district community centres also provide job placement services. You may also have to look at your expectations and modify them somewhat as well. We all have to make adjustments as we age. In this country anyway. I understand where you are at. I spend 15 months in a similar situation back in '04.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:22 am

Send your CV to the email address on the website!

ddsgn

Post by ddsgn » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:46 pm

hi sundaymorning staple, i have already lower my expectation and i have even tried looking for jobs such as general worker, doorman or even driver. the common answer i got is that i am over qualified or not fit for the position.
anyway thank you very much for advise, appreciate.

hi ksl,
i will apply, thank you very much.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:13 am

If I were a career counselor (and I'm not), I might ask you the following questions.

a) Did you hold P&L responsibility at a significant level? This makes a big difference at the senior positions... it tells someone whether you 'managed' or actually made the decisions.

b) You've been in a bunch of commodities. Doing what exactly?

c) Can you describe (in 200 words) what your ideal job looks like?

d) Have you considered that your CV may be ineffectively selling your strong points?

e) Have you considered consulting as opposed to full time employment?

f) How is your network? I think it's mostly worthless to try and find a job cold in this town.

ddsgn

Post by ddsgn » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:31 am

hi strong eagle, thank you very much for your pointers. i think there is a parameter for discussion at this open site. it will be more productive and informative if there is a chance for face to face meet up or direct mailing.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:19 pm

ddsgn wrote:hi sundaymorning staple, i have already lower my expectation and i have even tried looking for jobs such as general worker, doorman or even driver. the common answer i got is that i am over qualified or not fit for the position.
anyway thank you very much for advise, appreciate.

hi ksl,
i will apply, thank you very much.

to the OP try updating your skills while you are unemployed.Look into government programs that can help you.