Singapore Expats

The white van scam

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ksl
Governor
Governor

The white van scam

Post by ksl » Tue, 10 Aug 2010 1:07 am

Just a warning that there is a white van scam on speakers going on in Singapore, they are all substandard quality and being sold from 1,800 to 3,000$

I picked a set up for 80$ from a retail outlet, though i didn't connect them to my amplifier....too risky got my 80$ back with no hassle and informed them that they are substandard speakers....its not illegal in Singapore, so be very careful! Imagine i paid 80$ and they are making profit :shock: They look nice until you inspect very close they do not meet any standards at all. You will find a full list of dodgy stuff on the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Aug 2010 2:16 am

That one has been ongoing for about 10 years. They keep finding suckers it seems. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 11 Aug 2010 4:01 pm

Ah....... I thought Real Estate Agents are suckers ?? :lol:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 11 Aug 2010 5:52 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Ah....... I thought Real Estate Agents are suckers ?? :lol:
some actually do quite well, with a select number feeling confident enough to go on papers, proudly claiming they've earn XX millions...

I R A S u so!

hmmm... i guess you're right.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

philiporaski

The white van scam

Post by philiporaski » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 4:05 am

encountered the van before...

wonder why people just wont settle for an honest living

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 5:08 am

taxico wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:Ah....... I thought Real Estate Agents are suckers ?? :lol:
some actually do quite well, with a select number feeling confident enough to go on papers, proudly claiming they've earn XX millions...

I R A S u so!

hmmm... i guess you're right.
Never trust them, never like them but use them if need to serve my purpose.I used them but I am always in control. I never use one agent more than once. They tend to screw up on the second deal.

I know one of them personally and this person is so despicable . It is said if need be to sell his mother to get a sale, he will do it.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: The white van scam

Post by QRM » Thu, 12 Aug 2010 9:36 am

philiporaski wrote:encountered the van before...

wonder why people just wont settle for an honest living
It is actually a legit business, no different from selling hot dogs from a kiosk, their kiosk is white and they sell speakers.

A chum worked for one in Austrialia, they have monthly targets, employee of the month awards etc. It becomes dodgy when they BS about it being an extra pair that they have covertly acquired.

Surprised there are not more in Singapore seems a perfect place to grow the business. Singaporeans always want to get a good deal, and seem to be constantly being taken for a ride with all these phones, and magic stone scams.

The second hand car and estate agent market here is the the perfect training grounds for the much needed BS to shift the speakers.