Singapore Expats

rejection of EP / PEP/ PR

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
floydd

rejection of EP / PEP/ PR

Post by floydd » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:36 am

hi there guys, my first time on this forum! been looking thru a bit and wanted to post a question:

i wanted to see what ppl r experiencing regarding EP / PEP / PR... i am a mixed race South African having worked in Singapore 4 years now for the same company. promoted twice doubled salary in that time blah blah. my situation is thus:

1. applied for PR 1st time rejected, 2nd time told to wait a year, 3rd time - no reply yet it's been almost 6 months now, waiting.
2. PEP application rejected, PEP appeal rejected even though i fulfill P2 pass working duration requirements and have double the salary they ask for.
3. EP renewal after 2 years rejected, then granted after appeal. this time, after 4 years renewal rejected again awaiting appeal outcome...

this is driving me nuts - and I'm thinking of leaving singapore permanently because i just really don't understand the logic. if they don't want me (my race / my nationality etc) - that's fine i can accept it, but MOM keeps leaving the decision to the last minute, pushing back and only on the day of my EP expiring they'll grant me another 2 weeks while they make their decisions.

has anyone else experienced this type of thing, ie long waits, vague answers? in every one of my rejections they write - not eligible for an employment pass - but i already have one! I'm not looking to bash the MOM/ICA, this is their country, but i want to get a feeling - has anyone else experienced this before? and what did you do - what was the outcome? should i think of throwing in the towel and just leaving singapore, as i cannot face this time and time again...

thanks guys! :( :(

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: rejection of EP / PEP/ PR

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 12:01 pm

floydd wrote:hi there guys, my first time on this forum! been looking thru a bit and wanted to post a question:

i wanted to see what ppl r experiencing regarding EP / PEP / PR... i am a mixed race South African having worked in Singapore 4 years now for the same company. promoted twice doubled salary in that time blah blah. my situation is thus:

1. applied for PR 1st time rejected, 2nd time told to wait a year, 3rd time - no reply yet it's been almost 6 months now, waiting.
2. PEP application rejected, PEP appeal rejected even though i fulfill P2 pass working duration requirements and have double the salary they ask for.
3. EP renewal after 2 years rejected, then granted after appeal. this time, after 4 years renewal rejected again awaiting appeal outcome...

this is driving me nuts - and I'm thinking of leaving singapore permanently because i just really don't understand the logic. if they don't want me (my race / my nationality etc) - that's fine i can accept it, but MOM keeps leaving the decision to the last minute, pushing back and only on the day of my EP expiring they'll grant me another 2 weeks while they make their decisions.

has anyone else experienced this type of thing, ie long waits, vague answers? in every one of my rejections they write - not eligible for an employment pass - but i already have one! I'm not looking to bash the MOM/ICA, this is their country, but i want to get a feeling - has anyone else experienced this before? and what did you do - what was the outcome? should i think of throwing in the towel and just leaving singapore, as i cannot face this time and time again...

thanks guys! :( :(
Please give us some information regarding your qualification,total year of experience, industry of work, your current scope and role of work?

Was your degree a Full Time/Part Time/Distance Education?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 12:05 pm

This has been happening quite often as of late. Since MOM has started tightening up their criteria (e.g., point weighting for academics) a lot of academic qualifications are no longer suitable for acceptance. If you have done a search of this forum you will find I've indicated I've lost several due to "no longer being qualified" even though they have been employed by me for a couple of years. There is another a couple of days ago on the forum here as well. I don't know of any who have managed to beat the odds when this has happened. We are hoping for a turn-around with the latest blurb that Singapore will need another 100K foreigners but it looks like, even though they need them, they aren't going to let them in easily. It's rough and it sucks but what to do? It's their country and I guess they can run it as they see fit.

Eventually, it's liable to backfire on them, as foreigners are not going to want to come here as they never know when the government is going to yank the rug out from under them.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

floydd

Post by floydd » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 2:27 pm

@sundaymorningstaple - yes the points thing has come up - in a vague conversation with an officer. right now i'm awaiting my appeal result. last time after appeal i got it, this time who knows. the waiting drives me crazy, my partner too. i try to remain positive. :)
@singaporeflyer - my degree was a full-time 4 year bachelors of journalism degree. i work in market research, now for 4 years with the same company. i have been promoted twice and am now a project director, handling domestic and international market research. why do u ask?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 2:31 pm

floydd wrote: @singaporeflyer - my degree was a full-time 4 year bachelors of journalism degree. i work in market research, now for 4 years with the same company. i have been promoted twice and am now a project director, handling domestic and international market research. why do u ask?
The reason I asked is, if you read through the forum you can sense that recently people with distance learning degrees have been rejected for their EP during renewal even though they were renewed few times before without any problem.

MOM has tightened their qualification criteria for approval/renewal of EP in the recent few months.

floydd

Post by floydd » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 2:31 pm

oh forgot to add i worked in china for 4 years previous to coming to singapore. i didn't arrive here as a fresh graduate.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 2:32 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
floydd wrote: @singaporeflyer - my degree was a full-time 4 year bachelors of journalism degree. i work in market research, now for 4 years with the same company. i have been promoted twice and am now a project director, handling domestic and international market research. why do u ask?
The reason I asked is, if you read through the forum you can sense that recently people with distance learning degrees have been rejected for their EP during renewal even though they were renewed few times before without any problem.

Even people holding P1 which were renewed before are rejected for renewal these days

MOM has tightened their qualification criteria for approval/renewal of EP in the recent few months.

floydd

Post by floydd » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 2:32 pm

oh i see - thats interesting to note - however my degree was full time. anyhow yes i'm trawling thru other posts... thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 9:26 am

Additional fuel to the fire.

I received notice of another of my S pass staff having their appeal for renewal of S pass rejected after the renewal was rejected. That is actually four now. Two as I have noted several times here, late last year, and another several months ago. Now I have had another for a total of four in the past 9 months.

The facts......

arrived Dec 2008
S pass from a day or two later
Myanmar National
B.Sc Zoology from Yangoon University of Distance Learning

Academically totally unrelated to being a pest control technician but met MOM's criteria in 2008 as it was a degree. Had no experience but at the time MOM really wasn't too particular. Now? Things in common with all 4 of my rejections: Distance Learning degrees and degrees with absolutely no bearing with the industry employed.

Read it and weep. And keep your fingers crossed as it doesn't look good.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 9:56 am

from past experience sms, will this all change after the elections?

floydd

Post by floydd » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 9:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Additional fuel to the fire.

I received notice of another of my S pass staff having their appeal for renewal of S pass rejected after the renewal was rejected. That is actually four now. Two as I have noted several times here, late last year, and another several months ago. Now I have had another for a total of four in the past 9 months.

The facts......

arrived Dec 2008
S pass from a day or two later
Myanmar National
B.Sc Zoology from Yangoon University of Distance Learning

Academically totally unrelated to being a pest control technician but met MOM's criteria in 2008 as it was a degree. Had no experience but at the time MOM really wasn't too particular. Now? Things in common with all 4 of my rejections: Distance Learning degrees and degrees with absolutely no bearing with the industry employed.

Read it and weep. And keep your fingers crossed as it doesn't look good.
Haha!! Well no need to weep Sundaymorningstaple - the reality is as it is.

Were all your guys S pass holders? My pass is a P2(last 2yrs); Q1(first 2yrs), but whether that makes a diff i have no idea. My degree - not distance learning: I am not sure how they view it , but I can't get a degree which encompasses market research so Journalism is a good match i guess... who knows?

I just called the ICA (and got thru for the first time). 6 months on, my PR is still in process - but i have no idea if they can grant me a PR if my EP is having such trouble...

A thought - if it's all rejected can i exit singapore and apply for an EP with a different job in a different industry, where i have had experience before - or am i going to face to same?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:31 am

floydd wrote: A thought - if it's all rejected can i exit singapore and apply for an EP with a different job in a different industry, where i have had experience before - or am i going to face to same?
In case if it is rejected you might leave singapore if you wish anytime. Your new employer can apply EP for you, but still the approval decision of your EP lies with MOM. They will have all your history of EP approvals/rejections. If you shift industry then your recent experience in the new industry might not be considered.

You can still try through your new employer. Good Luck !

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:44 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 12:14 pm

floydd wrote: Were all your guys S pass holders? My pass is a P2(last 2yrs); Q1(first 2yrs), but whether that makes a diff i have no idea. My degree - not distance learning: I am not sure how they view it , but I can't get a degree which encompasses market research so Journalism is a good match i guess... who knows?

I just called the ICA (and got thru for the first time). 6 months on, my PR is still in process - but i have no idea if they can grant me a PR if my EP is having such trouble...

A thought - if it's all rejected can i exit singapore and apply for an EP with a different job in a different industry, where i have had experience before - or am i going to face to same?
In my case, they are all S pass holders, but if you have been reading the threads here you will notice that there have been Q, P1 & P2's who have also had their renewals rejected. So there is no preponderance in the market regarding Pass levels (P1 passes don't even require any academic qualifications anyway). So nobody knows for sure what is being used now in the various criteria/points allocations to arrive at approvals for both new and renewals. I wouldn't bet a slug nickle on any applications for PR at the moment.

floydd

Post by floydd » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 2:51 pm

thanks guys for your replies - i appreciate your feedback and realistic approach. it's a bit hard feeling stuck out here on my own - no answers i guess, but good to know ppl will respond.

regarding partner i have no idea - to be truthful I'm less concerned about PR now because whether it's yes or no it's still in process, and i have no control over the outcome. EP is the big one! mad scientist what help are you offering? :)