Singapore Expats

Long term visit pass rejection

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Calrad

Long term visit pass rejection

Post by Calrad » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 2:42 pm

Hi all, this is my first post here. I find advice from the seasoned forum members here helpful. I could not find any suitable answer from the ICA website or FAQs.

My wife and I have obtained our PR status about 1 month ago (after holding EP for the past 7 years). Both our kids are my dependents.
Immediately obtaining our PR status, we proceeded to apply for a long term visit pass for my mother-in-law. She has been my wife's dependent for 4 years without any issues on renewal. She is the main caregiver of my children when we go to work.

However, we received an email from ICA today that her application was is unsuccessful. I have read in the FAQ that we can submit an appeal letter to ICA to reconsider their decision.

I would like to ask whether there are any specific information that I should put into the letter to further strengthen my case. Should I submit the letter in a few days or wait a while longer? Should I contact ICA by phone and ask for the reason for rejection?

Please do assist us in this predicament as we do not want to keep renewing her embarkation/disembarkation card for her to stay in Singapore to take care of her grandchildren.

Thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 3:35 pm

Sounds a bit strange to me. It might be worth a trip to ICA and request to see an officer (not a front line clerk) in order to get clarification at least on the reason for the rejection considering she has been on a Dependents pass for the past 4 years.

Another consideration that may play here, and I'm only making wild speculative thoughts into written words at the moment, is wondering how many siblings your wife has. As Singapore is getting more and more stringent with PR holders, I have been given anecdotal evidence that they may even consider the "long-term" potential "damage" e.g., how many more members of the family might we be looking at in the future. I honestly don't know.

As I said, I think trying to get some clarification directly from an officer would be the first step. Then, if it's something that might be rectified with an appeal, go for it. But, sending in an appeal without knowing the reason for the rejection might be just an exercise in futility if you coach the appeal on a wrongly guessed reason.

Somebody else may have something more and hopefully will post.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Calrad

Post by Calrad » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 4:38 pm

Thank you for the very prompt reply.
I shall call the ICA on Monday to arrange an appointment with the officers. Don't want to make a wasted trip there just to get the same generic answer as in the e-mail (without explanation of rejection).

In reply to your question, my wife only has 1 elder sister who is not planning to come to Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 5:10 pm

Then all the more reason to try to arrange to see an officer at ICA.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Calrad

Post by Calrad » Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:41 am

Called up ICA. Didn't make an appointment to see the officer. The lady on the other end told me to send an appeal letter rather than make an appointment. Fingers crossed.

mikah

Post by mikah » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 5:38 pm

hi, may I know what happened to your appeal? As I also need to make an appeal for my mother. I hope you see this message, though its been quite some time since you last posted. Thank you.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 6:43 pm

@Calrad and mikah. Sorry I just pick this up

When you applied for your mother LTVSP, they would need to see how you can support her. Your income, saving . To my best knowledge is $2.5 K minimum per month to maintain her.

If you have PR approved like Calrad, the previous pass became null and void under your wife's DP hence once you had your PR and applied for LTVSP for her mom, it is a new application and fresh. Show proof of previous passes. It will not be a major.

What SMS said holds some truth during your PR application as applicant need to fill up question if any other person/s will become your dependent. You need to fill this under your MIL name. I am not sure if the format has change but this is what I know

Let me know if you need other info
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 6:47 pm

who is the primary applicant for PR in this case? Easier to get if LTSVP is needed for the dependent of the primary applicant?

Or else it will become Dependent PR's dependent?

Not sure

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 24 Aug 2010 6:34 pm

Mad Scientist wrote: What SMS said holds some truth during your PR application as applicant need to fill up question if any other person/s will become your dependent. You need to fill this under your MIL name. I am not sure if the format has change but this is what I know

Let me know if you need other info
Wow this is a very interesting twist.

MS would you think that the LTSVP is rejected because he did not declare that his MIL as a dependent on the PR application form? Please provide your thoughts on this.......

Just wondering what if occupation of parents (and this really is the case of Father as Managing Director ie. of a firm outside SG and Mother as Housewife) is stated when we applied for LTSVP and they were not listed as dependents on PR application form??
(The LTSVP was issued without any problem for both parties in around 24 hrs).

Would it still be an issue to file for LTSVP for parents after getting PR if they were not declared as dependents?
Of course since father has own income and mother is dependent on father they are not dependent on me / a person hence they were not declared as dependents on PR application form.

Very interesting as this should be a potential angle that people need to consider when filing for PR I guess.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 6:24 am

I got this from a PM from someone who has this similar issue. Anyway he got it at the end and both of us came to the assumption that in-laws if you are going to bring them at some stage or another, you must include it in your PR application apart being able to support them

Honestly this is our assumption
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

putnam

Post by putnam » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 3:20 pm

My EPEC was approved. Can the ICA send an LTVP to my home country? I might go bank to my country in 20 days. I'm not sure when I'm coming back to Singapore, but I want to come back to Singapore with some appointments for interviews.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 3:24 pm

putnam wrote:My EPEC was approved. Can the ICA send an LTVP to my home country? I might go bank to my country in 20 days. I'm not sure when I'm coming back to Singapore, but I want to come back to Singapore with some appointments for interviews.
They can send you an IPA for an LTSVP by email.
Once you get the IPA you must come to Singapore and go to MOM to issue the LTSVP (usually in 6 months sometimes less depending on what is written on it).

PS note that based on experiences of people here that approved EPEC does not gurantee that ICA will give you an LTSVP.

putnam

Post by putnam » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 3:32 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
putnam wrote:My EPEC was approved. Can the ICA send an LTVP to my home country? I might go bank to my country in 20 days. I'm not sure when I'm coming back to Singapore, but I want to come back to Singapore with some appointments for interviews.
Once you get the IPA you must come to Singapore and go to MOM to issue the LTSVP (usually in 6 months sometimes less depending on what is written on it).

PS note that based on experiences of people here that approved EPEC does not gurantee that ICA will give you an LTSVP.
Thanks. Do you mean I need to come back to Singapore imediately after I got an IPA? Or can I stay in my country for a couple of months after geeting an IPA and then come back to Singapore?

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 3:43 pm

putnam wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:

Thanks. Do you mean I need to come back to Singapore imediately after I got an IPA? Or can I stay in my country for a couple of months after geeting an IPA and then come back to Singapore?
Two parts,
1. Apply for a LTSVP (Manual or using iSubmit)
2. Get IPA (Online through EP online or some other system - Wait for SMS or KL can confirm they are the right guys to advise..)

If you get IPA electronically then I guess you can stay in your country till validity of IPA (Usually 6 months, maybe 1 or 2 to 6 months whatever they feel).

Play safe do not leave SG till you get IPA for LTSVP.........

putnam

Post by putnam » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 4:03 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
putnam wrote:
FaeLLe wrote: They can send you an IPA for an LTSVP by email.

Two parts,
1. Apply for a LTSVP (Manual or using iSubmit)
2. Get IPA (Online through EP online or some other system - Wait for SMS or KL can confirm they are the right guys to advise..)

If you get IPA electronically then I guess you can stay in your country till validity of IPA (Usually 6 months, maybe 1 or 2 to 6 months whatever they feel).

Play safe do not leave SG till you get IPA for LTSVP.........
Perhaps the possibilty that I get an IPA depends on where I am.
I will not leave Singapore in 20 days. Thanks for your advice. :)