Singapore Expats

Arrival procedure with an EP Approval in Principle

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ian 66

Arrival procedure with an EP Approval in Principle

Post by ian 66 » Sun, 01 Aug 2010 8:50 pm

I am arriving in Singapore in two weeks time.
I have my EP approval in principal letter and the dependant pass for my wife and kids is still being processed.

What are the formalities for us at airport immigration on arrival?

Do we simply fill in the embark/disimbark form as normal, leaving the departure flight and destination city blank? Can it really be as simple as that?

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Sun, 01 Aug 2010 9:08 pm

Yes. You have to produce your In Principal letter too.
It's common sense - if you try to come in before I go out, I can't go out. And you can't come in! Lose-lose!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Arrival procedure with an EP Approval in Principle

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 01 Aug 2010 9:55 pm

ian 66 wrote:
What are the formalities for us at airport immigration on arrival?

Do we simply fill in the embark/disimbark form as normal, leaving the departure flight and destination city blank? Can it really be as simple as that?
You need to show the immigration the In Principle Approval Letter that will contain a Single Entry Visa to Singapore attached in it.

If I am not Wrong you have to fill the flight number in which you arrived in Singapore, Last City /Port of Embarkation before Singapore .

Only the next city or Port of Disembarkation after Singapore must be left blank as you are going to get a EP using which you can work in Singapore

Please also have your address in Singapore as you need to fill that too in the IMM 27 A DE Card .

Later they may ask you which company you are going to work for and few other basic details ( this does not happen often)?

Make sure you retain safely the portion of the DE card that is returned to you by the Immigration officer. You need to surrender this portion of the IMM 27 A DE card when you are going to collect your Employment Pass.

Good Luck !

ian 66

Post by ian 66 » Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:34 am

Thanks for the advice.
It sounds fairly straightforward.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 02 Aug 2010 1:43 pm

I flew in from the US on a one way ticket. I filled out no next destination info. Nobody said 'boo' or asked to see anything, although I did have my AIP with me.

Just depends from whence you come. From Aberdeen, I don't think they'll ask you anything... unless you are a hair tree, possibly then.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Aug 2010 2:04 pm

Same here. Nobody asked and I did not show it. Few days later just exchanged my disembarkation card to the EP. But it was few good years ago.

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Mon, 02 Aug 2010 9:46 pm

recently flew in from jakarta on one way ticket as well before i got my EP. no one asked anything. from what i know, they rarely actually check if you have return ticket out or not (but they do sometimes). I know this from a friend who travels in and out of singapore on weekly basis throughout the year on visitor visa.

ian 66

Post by ian 66 » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 6:39 am

That all sounds promising.

Based on what you have all said and the fact that I have now received the approval in principal letter for the dependant pass for my wife and kids then I am not anticipating any problems.

I've got a school place for my oldest son and a Serviced Apartment booked for the first month. It feels like things on the Singapore side are going pretty smooth, I wish things on the Aberdeen side were as easy, it seems like there are a thousand things to organise when you are selling up and relocating.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 7:35 am

ian66

I hope you get all sorted b4 you moved here. I noticed you query about lease cars, apartment and the works. The host here are into property so if you do not like what you see when you arrive here, look at this website.
If you need someone to point you to the right direction , here is the rundown in a nutshell

1. To get help for EP, MOM , HR. PR ; press SMS
2. To get help for business press KSL or SE
3. To get help on computers ; press SE or Nakatago
4. To get help on leasing ; press Saint ,
5. To get help on schooling ; press Saint , SMS , KSL
6. For all other queries press star # someone will come to the rescue

As for me , I am a nobody

Good Luck :)
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 9:35 am

Mad Scientist wrote: 1. To get help for EP, MOM , HR. PR ; press SMS
2. To get help for business press KSL or SE
3. To get help on computers ; press SE or Nakatago
4. To get help on leasing ; press Saint ,
5. To get help on schooling ; press Saint , SMS , KSL
6. For all other queries press star # someone will come to the rescue

As for me , I am a nobody

Good Luck :)
For a nobody, you have most certainly become a welcome, respected and virtually indispensable part of this forum. Some other forum's loss is definitely our blessing. Your contributions are invaluable. This is especially so when helping our Singaporean/PR readers on the intricacies of NS and a plethora of other information of the inner workings of this government and surrounding regions. Thanks! :wink: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 9:47 am

nobody's perfect.

--wait. what?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

observer
Regular
Regular

Post by observer » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 3:43 pm

I've been called many things in my life, but never a "star #".
It's common sense - if you try to come in before I go out, I can't go out. And you can't come in! Lose-lose!

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asdracles » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 7:06 pm

No problem! I got my EP in principle approval letter by email, but in the last minute rush, I forgot to print it :? .

I arrived Changi with one-way ticket, explained the problem to the official, and they issued me a social visit pass, reminding me 3526 times to solve the formalities of the EP before the social visit pass expires and another 2563 times saying what a serious offence is to overstay in SG. I offered to switch on my laptop to show the PDF, but they said it was no needed, as I would be getting the same social visit pass anyway.

So if you have the printed card, even easier to explain. But you will enter SG as a tourist and later in 3/4 days you will get the proper EP (after medical check-up)

singasong

Post by singasong » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 2:03 am

just to let you know my experience:

I live in Singapore since more than a year now, I worked on an EP pass and then terminated that. I searched around for a new job and was happy to find one. In between I went to Germany for two weeks on vacation. When I was checking in at theairport in Frankfurt with Quantas they wouldn't want to let me check in and fly to Singapore, because it was a return flight to SG ! Without EP or DP or LTSVP pass I was of course a tourist again and as a tourist I needed to show them an exit ticket as well !
So I was forced to get myself a ticket to somewhere out of SG within the 90 days - ad hoc, at the airport - with my 5 year old at my side needing a toilet. Quite an experience.
I remebered later that we had inquired about that when my spouse went to SG with a one-way-ticket a year and a half earlier. I am not sure whether he had his approval letter already, but he flew Lufthansa, and they didn't even ask.

Best of luck to everyone!