Singapore Expats

Refunds!!!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lynsey

Refunds!!!!

Post by Lynsey » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 4:31 pm

Just wondered if anyone could offer some advice.

Since living here we have bought several things that have been faulty etc tried to take them back and learnt the hard way that thats not too easy here.

Anyhow we have learnt our lesson and just decided we would avoid buying anything of any real value. Prior to this however i bought my boyfriend a watch for christmas. It was around 500 dollar.

A few weeks back we took it to the shop as one of the hands was not working properly. Its a simple fault but we knew it would get sent to the service centre to be repaired. Assuming this would take a week to ten days.

4 weeks on we have just been told it could be a further 2 months! Obviously my boyfriend was not happy and asked just for a refund......which they are refusing to give.

Its so frustrating, does anyone have any advice? Is there any chance of getting money back or are we fighting a losing battle?

ttujess

Post by ttujess » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 7:00 pm

Maybe try lodging a complaint with CASE
http://www.case.org.sg/making_a_complaint.html

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:07 am

My Seiko sportura also takes 4 weeks at the service centre, its pretty standard procedure, longer if it goes to Japan for repair.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 3:58 am

Consumer Act in Singapore is a shamble. It is not the same like UK, Oz and NZ whereby there is a cooling of period where you can return it back with the receipt. As long it was return in its original package, your money will be return . No question ask. If it is faulty either change it or refund. That simple. This is consumer right to the T.
In Singapore the traders will hell bent not to refund. You have to fight tooth and nail to get a refund !!. Lodge with Case is one way. If it has a warranty demand exchange. Though there is a law on this but in reality it is hard.Those giant retailers are more pro active in their approach.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Lynsey

Post by Lynsey » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 9:38 am

It was handed in 4 weeks ago and they are now sayin it won't be ready
till oct....... So he asked to exchange and they are refusing. The frustration is he still wants the watch and is prepared for them to sort a new one but they won't. At the end of the day it's faulty, end of!! There should be no problems with an exchange but there even refusing that, I'm not sure he will let this one go though!!!!

Very bad every time things like this happen we learn....... Again!!!!!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:48 am

Lynsey wrote:It was handed in 4 weeks ago and they are now sayin it won't be ready
till oct....... So he asked to exchange and they are refusing. The frustration is he still wants the watch and is prepared for them to sort a new one but they won't. At the end of the day it's faulty, end of!! There should be no problems with an exchange but there even refusing that, I'm not sure he will let this one go though!!!!

Very bad every time things like this happen we learn....... Again!!!!!
CASE is your only hope I'm afraid! Case have helped me a lot, i became a member and now produce the membership card, if i have any problems, it appears to help a great deal, as they are afraid the next step will be publicity, which may cause their business to fail.

Lynsey

Post by Lynsey » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 4:22 pm

Thank you - we had a look at the website last night.

So frustrating, its not home and you have to accept its different, but things like this are so hard to get your head round...........cant understand why anyone would buy anything of real value here!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 4:44 pm

Just go back and bang table and mention the magic words, Solicitor, CASE and they will soon change their minds. That's what I had to do recently and I've ended up with virtually a brand new sofa! The main problem is that local don't know how to complain or just wont complain so they just end up accepting what ever they are told. But behind the so called anonymity of the cyberworld local will complain about any small thing, just take a look at Stomp which is an hysterical read!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 4:50 pm

Saint wrote:Just go back and bang table and mention the magic words, Solicitor, CASE and they will soon change their minds. That's what I had to do recently and I've ended up with virtually a brand new sofa! The main problem is that local don't know how to complain or just wont complain so they just end up accepting what ever they are told. But behind the so called anonymity of the cyberworld local will complain about any small thing, just take a look at Stomp which is an hysterical read!
which is also another option... name and shame on stomp

bad service should be stomped out

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 6:16 pm

Saint wrote:Just go back and bang table and mention the magic words, Solicitor, CASE and they will soon change their minds. That's what I had to do recently and I've ended up with virtually a brand new sofa! The main problem is that local don't know how to complain or just wont complain so they just end up accepting what ever they are told. But behind the so called anonymity of the cyberworld local will complain about any small thing, just take a look at Stomp which is an hysterical read!
Not me mate, I will NOT only bang on the table, I will use every trick in my sleeve to get what I am entitled to. I even log head with JTC about a shutter door that was supposed to be OK b4 I signed on the dotted line to buy the factory but they declined my modification after that. The e-mails went all over the place in JTC even to the CEO and he agreed. :D
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Lynsey

Post by Lynsey » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 6:23 pm

Quite reassuring to know if you stick with it then you may get results.

I dont think he has any intention of letting this lie...........and he said exactly the same thing last night about people accepting this kind of treatment...................we will see what happens!

buzzthebuzzy

Post by buzzthebuzzy » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:22 pm

CASE will be a better place to lodge a complaint if you bought it from a shop.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:54 pm

buzzthebuzzy wrote:CASE will be a better place to lodge a complaint if you bought it from a shop.
Did you even bother to read the thread? #-o ](*,)

Or were you just trying to get 5 posts so you could activate your PM function. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 4:52 am

hahaha.... nothing gets by you does it? 8-)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 7:07 am

:P five "one-liner" posts in quick succession without using any thought patterns and then nothing? Easy-Peasy! You'd have caught it as well!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “General Discussions”