Singapore Expats

Pregnant Wife of SPR Forced to Leave - LTSVPass Rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ciachmarta

Pregnant Wife of SPR Forced to Leave - LTSVPass Rejected

Post by ciachmarta » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 3:30 pm

Hi everyone

I need advice.
I am European and my husband is PR over here (past 6 years, well established career). I have been here since November last year (tourist visas). We got married a couple of months ago in Singapore. I am 7 and half months pregnant now.
My long term social visit pass was rejected and I am given only untill my delivery due date to stay in Singapore, alternatively untill the doctor say I am fit to fly after having baby.
We can not belive that and our only option is to appeal against the decision but still, there is no guarantee.
We want to be in Singapore as a family and the idea of being separated after our child is born is unthinkable.

Is anyone familiar with this kind of situation? Any possible solutions, advice?

Many thanks

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 4:58 pm

How many visa runs did you actually do? Looks like pretty a lot...
Plus it may be seen as a marriage of convenience.
Unfortunately separating the closest family members is nothing new in Singapore.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Pregnant Wife of SPR Forced to Leave - LTSVPass Rejected

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 5:10 pm

ciachmarta wrote:Hi everyone

. I have been here since November last year (tourist visas). We got married a couple of months ago in Singapore. I am 7 and half months pregnant now.
My long term social visit pass was rejected and I am given only untill my delivery due date to stay in Singapore, alternatively untill the doctor say Is anyone familiar with this kind of situation? Any possible solutions, advice?

Many thanks
Am I missing something here ? :-k :-k
When you came here , you are on 30 days Social Visit Visa or you are already had a Long Term Social Visit Pass.
Your LTVSP got rejected on first application or renewable. When you got married did you register your marriage here ?
It sounds crazy but did you get blessing from MOM b4 marriage unless you have work here b4 under Work Permit Pass then you are in a spot.
Reply and we see how to advise you
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 5:21 pm

MS, tourist visa could be as long as 90 days for many EU countries.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 5:28 pm

True, X9200 but given she entered in Nov 2009, it will expire somewhere Feb the latest. If she did visa run after that, definitely ICA Immigration will found out. As we are standing in mid July, the visa run she had done if she chose this path is considerable which does not make sense to me . Standard ICA protocol after 90 days of Social Visit in SG,if you do not get any passthen one, you have to return to your home country for at least six month unless special permission is granted. :???:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 6:00 pm

Mad Scientist wrote: It sounds crazy but did you get blessing from MOM b4 marriage unless you have work here b4 under Work Permit Pass then you are in a spot.
Reply and we see how to advise you
No reason why they would need to go to MOM to get their blessing so that's not the reason.

Might have something to do with having a pudding in the oven while on a tourist visa and not married

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 6:37 pm

Saint wrote: Might have something to do with having a pudding in the oven while on a tourist visa and not married
That was my thinking as well. Looks very much like a marriage of convenience or shotgun, one of the two. And multiple visa runs to boot.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ciachmarta

Post by ciachmarta » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 6:42 pm

Thank you for your comments.
I was on a tourist 90 days visas, went for Xmas and came back in Jan, then went to Malaysia a couple of times. (The other thing is that we also applied for my PR right after getting married and were told to apply for LTSVP to cover for the decision waiting time. That was in May. Now we found out that PR was also rejected by the way. We were told that one has nothing to do with the other, different departmets make decisions on those).
But coming back to the issue of LTVP...As much as the immigration might not liked it, we were actually going to visit my husbands parents in JB (he is Malaysian). Nobody ever questioned me on the border while coming back to Singapore after such visit. And we never waited a few days before my visa expires and purposely go. I was crossing the border way before any visa runned out.
Now I am thinking that for immigration officer deciding about LTSVP it looked differently.
And no, I wasn't working here. This was first attempt on LTSVP and PR.
But our point is that my husband is a PR here, we didn't appear from some pore country a few weeks ago and now want to stay in Singapore.
Our marriage is also registered in Singapore.
I understand that pregnancy does not mean they need to give me a long term pass, so many other women will use that to stay here. But I am a wife of their resident. How can they split his family?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 7:07 pm

ciachmarta wrote: But our point is that my husband is a PR here, we didn't appear from some pore country a few weeks ago and now want to stay in Singapore.

Actually you did appear this way. Few monthsis really not that much. In my opinion your only hope is to prove somehow that your relationship started much earlier. I realize that it may be difficult.

I understand that pregnancy does not mean they need to give me a long term pass, so many other women will use that to stay here. But I am a wife of their resident. How can they split his family?
Read this forum if you still have any doubts.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 7:07 pm

ciachmarta wrote:Thank you for your comments.
I was on a tourist 90 days visas, went for Xmas and came back in Jan, then went to Malaysia a couple of times. (The other thing is that we also applied for my PR right after getting married and were told to apply for LTSVP to cover for the decision waiting time. That was in May. Now we found out that PR was also rejected by the way. We were told that one has nothing to do with the other, different departmets make decisions on those).
But coming back to the issue of LTVP...As much as the immigration might not liked it, we were actually going to visit my husbands parents in JB (he is Malaysian). Nobody ever questioned me on the border while coming back to Singapore after such visit. And we never waited a few days before my visa expires and purposely go. I was crossing the border way before any visa runned out.
Now I am thinking that for immigration officer deciding about LTSVP it looked differently.
But our point is that my husband is a PR here, we didn't appear from some pore country a few weeks ago and now want to stay in Singapore.
You had one Social Visit pass for 90 days before Jan. After that how many Social Visit Visas did you get? How did you get them? Landing Visas or through ICA Extend?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 7:40 pm

When yo say you are European, do you mean you have a European passport.

I was thinking you maybe Malaysian with a European passport, not that it matters which race you are, when it comes to immigration protocol.

Though back to government protocol also in Europe, you have to apply through the proper procedures for family to join the husband, normally takes around 3 months. That is to say even if you married in Europe, the other party would be returned to there Country of origin, until your permission was applied for the family to join whoever..

Its pretty standard procedure these days in Europe so i don't see that it is strange for Singapore to send you home, until your husband applies for the LTVSP pass, he cannot do it, while you are here.

Because then you break all protocols its also a deterrent for sham marriages. What immigration is telling you is that you have no rights here, its your own fault for getting married here. You shouldn't take things for granted when it is not your Country.

ICA are the ones, that have the protocol, I'm sure they will clarify the rules. Pregnancy or no pregnancy.

My suggestion would be to keep a cool head and don't upset them, they are king when it comes to letting people in. Appeal by all means, but please don't try to tell them your opinion, you have been a guest in Singapore nothing more. There is a right way and a wrong way of doing things, you chose the wrong way unfortunately!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 5:20 am

ciachmarta wrote:Thank you for your comments.
I was on a tourist 90 days visas, went for Xmas and came back in Jan, then went to Malaysia a couple of times. (The other thing is that we also applied for my PR right after getting married and were told to apply for LTSVP to cover for the decision waiting time. That was in May.
What you did was not exactly right. Once you got married, you should apply for LTSVP first. Later on apply for PR . You do not do two at a time. Moreover your hubby is SPR not Sger. Does not carry anymore weight as he is only a resident that is all which he can have a choice to revoke or being revoke as undesirable immigrant
Now we found out that PR was also rejected by the way. We were told that one has nothing to do with the other, different departmets make decisions on those.
All applications that goes to ICA will come under one folder. They already suspect that yours is a marriage of convenience which they may prove to be wrong. Hence you are placed in the same pot as others trying to go for this ruse
Border Control will NEVER advise you on this. ICA will catch you with your pants down going by your border movement, hence my above reply
Not sure how do you mean by this
Your status with your PR hubby has to be vetted even though you came from Europe. There are countries in Europe that are under Assessment Level 1 and 2.
My brother a Sger married to a foreigner overseas years back faced the same problem too. He cannot even get a LTSVP for his wife. He only managed to get short stay visa of 180 days renewable for the next two years. Only then on a LTSVP. Only 5 years after living in SG that his wife PR was approved. Moreover they had two boys born overseas and got their SG citizenship within a week of returning to SG but not the mother!!He was told by ICA that he should get the blessing from MOM and ICA b4 getting married. Hence my earlier post to you.

I would be incline to do this if you intend to live in SG. If you happen to know that your unborn child sex i.e a boy. Register his citizenship here as a Sger But do not apply for SG PP. Go back to M'sia or your own country to get him a foreign PP. If you register him as a Sger by birth due to your hubby status as a PR, your chance of getting LTSVP is higher.
There is another side you need to be aware that your unborn child if it is a boy will need to do NS when he turns 18.
If your unborn child is a girl , this NS issue does not befall on the
child.
All of us here are trying to give you prudent advise. No one here is trying to make a mockery of your situation. So please keep yourself calm.
Does this makes sense?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 8:40 am

Mad Scientist wrote:What you did was not exactly right. Once you got married, you should apply for LTSVP first. Later on apply for PR . You do not do two at a time. Moreover your hubby is SPR not Sger. Does not carry anymore weight as he is only a resident that is all which he can have a choice to revoke or being revoke as undesirable immigrant
[..]
I would be incline to do this if you intend to live in SG. If you happen to know that your unborn child sex i.e a boy. Register his citizenship here as a Sger But do not apply for SG PP. Go back to M'sia or your own country to get him a foreign PP. If you register him as a Sger by birth due to your hubby status as a PR, your chance of getting LTSVP is higher.

You repeated this somehow so I believe this is not a mistake: is it really true that a PR and a visitor can register their baby as a SG citizen? :shock:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 9:09 am

Only in extremely rare instances. I don't think it's been done in quite a few years now, if in fact it can still be done at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 9:25 am

Yes , this is true, Leonbrowski showed me on ICA website. I was not aware of this until he showed me and happens to be in 2008/ Not if the visitors are both parents but since the Dad is a SPR, yes this is possible but I am not fully aware of its nitty gritty details at all. I will check get the info and pass to you guys