Singapore Expats

Another MAID question!

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Shez

Another MAID question!

Post by Shez » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 1:10 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to add to the bucket, but have a question regarding hiring a part time maid.

We have been pretty much spoiled by the work ethics of a filipino maid and i was wondering, are there agencies that provide part time filipino maids? So far have only come across agencies that provide locals/legals, who are mostly Chinese, Indian and Malay.

So is there such a thing as providing p/t filipino maid by an agency? Which ones are those? Any leads would be much appreciated..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 1:20 pm

Just for curiosity sake... what was so different in the work ethics for the Filipino maids?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 2:21 pm

The only way you will find a part time Filipino maid here is if she has PR or Citizenship. (And there are some) But they are rare as hen's teeth and you will pay for them at the market rates for locals.

Work ethic? Back several decades ago (when my eldest was born) we had one each, Filipino & Sri Lankan. Biggest difference I could see was the English language capabilities. Work ethic seemed better only because she understood English. Both equally capable if the fully understood what was being conveyed. I've heard Indonesian domestics are just as good, provided you can communicate.

I've also heard worth ethics among all aren't worth cat's s*it as well. Guess it's a combination of your expectations and the individual domestic's capabilities.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Shez

Post by Shez » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks guys!

So far have had Filipino and Indonesians, happy with both- hardworking and personable, clean and efficient.

Have been less than happy with some others who were sent in by Professional agencies, their cleanliness was less than desirable, to say the least! So cant help but go by past experience.

And "just out of curosity" please DONT ask me which other nationalities didnt work out, dont want to start a race war here :D..

So i guess i have to start my great search of finding the needle in a haystack..:|

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 2:45 pm

I fired my Filipino part time maid (PR) few months back for her attitude problems. I would not link it anyhow to the ethnicity but I also see completely nothing special about her work ethics, generally being bad. I agree this goes with individuals, both the maid and yourself.

Shez

Post by Shez » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 2:51 pm

x9200 wrote:I fired my Filipino part time maid (PR) few months back for her attitude problems. I would not link it anyhow to the ethnicity but I also see completely nothing special about her work ethics, generally being bad. I agree this goes with individuals, both the maid and yourself.
Ahh that makes sense. Yes, so far have had no complains, but I am sure that could change.

Btw, another question..SMS feel free to chime in.. Some of the filipino maids have been calling me and telling me that their work permit "allows them to freelance" Can this be possible, or just simple hogwash to sneak their way in and earn some forbidden bucks??

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 2:51 pm

Shez, this is not work ethics, this is work quality. Work ethics would be: if she is honest (got something broken and reported it to you), punctual, working when she suppose to work, calling you if she is going to be late or not showing up at all for some reasons, not browsing though your private stuff, not stealing from you etc.

Shez

Post by Shez » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 3:02 pm

x9200 wrote:Shez, this is not work ethics, this is work quality. Work ethics would be: if she is honest (got something broken and reported it to you), punctual, working when she suppose to work, calling you if she is going to be late or not showing up at all for some reasons, not browsing though your private stuff, not stealing from you etc.

Sorry about that, to me all includes in the quality of service provided- How they conduct themselves and provide services.
But if that clarifies, then sure, all the things you listed, including not attending to their cell phones while working, can be added to the list you've generated..maybe i've just been lucky :)

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 3:46 pm

What's wrong with picking up the phone if it doesn't take too long?

The problem I see with part time (and most likely full time, though I do not have experience here) is that overall market is sort of spoiled. They come, do things (but don't have them done i.e. they wash, but it is not left clean) and since there is quite high demand for such services, nobody asks for quality.
It drives me crazy, but the choice is to do in entirely by yourself. I am not that keen after 6 days working week...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 4:07 pm

Shez wrote:.. Some of the filipino maids have been calling me and telling me that their work permit "allows them to freelance" Can this be possible, or just simple hogwash to sneak their way in and earn some forbidden bucks??[/b]
If you get caught hiring one of those who "claim" then you can be in as much deep s**t as she will be when caught. Her working illegally and you hiring illegal foreign workers. A foreign maid is not even allowed to work on her employers premises if the employer is self employed and has his own shop. (This used to happen ALL the time with local shopkeepers (family businesses). They figured the maid could clean the shop and do any other chores that the owner figured they could get away with. They also cannot go to the house of a relative (say, one of their childs/parents house and clean that house as well). Also, both parties will be in deep brown stuff. The locals are real abusers here and occasionally expats are as well. There was a caucasian lady who was a real piece of work here several years ago. Her photo even made the front page of the local birdcage liner.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Shez

Post by Shez » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks SMS. I always ask them to bring some form of documentation as proof after which they dont show up or come clean.

What surprises me is that they blatantly post ads in cold storage and the likes, and when i call them up, they verify that they are allowed "by their employers" who has told them "its okay as long as I am careful" !!

With the stringent laws, one would thing the govt would be on the hunt for such things, so wonder how come its done so openly, where's the crack down??

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Shez wrote:.. Some of the filipino maids have been calling me and telling me that their work permit "allows them to freelance" Can this be possible, or just simple hogwash to sneak their way in and earn some forbidden bucks??[/b]
If you get caught hiring one of those who "claim" then you can be in as much deep s**t as she will be when caught. Her working illegally and you hiring illegal foreign workers. A foreign maid is not even allowed to work on her employers premises if the employer is self employed and has his own shop. (This used to happen ALL the time with local shopkeepers (family businesses). They figured the maid could clean the shop and do any other chores that the owner figured they could get away with. They also cannot go to the house of a relative (say, one of their childs/parents house and clean that house as well). Also, both parties will be in deep brown stuff. The locals are real abusers here and occasionally expats are as well. There was a caucasian lady who was a real piece of work here several years ago. Her photo even made the front page of the local birdcage liner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 5:41 pm

Many, many of them get caught. MOM field teams will learn of those adds, trace the numbers and follow them to other premises. The MOM field team will knock on the door and when the maid or family members answer it, the will be presented with their credentials and will ask to see everybody's paperwork. Heaven help the maid who is working at an address that's not listed as the employers home.

MaidInSing

Post by MaidInSing » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: A foreign maid is not even allowed to work on her employers premises if the employer is self employed and has his own shop. (This used to happen ALL the time with local shopkeepers (family businesses). They figured the maid could clean the shop and do any other chores that the owner figured they could get away with. They also cannot go to the house of a relative (say, one of their childs/parents house and clean that house as well).
This still happens a lot, especially going to relatives house to clean.
My life as a maid
www.maidinsingapore.net