Singapore Expats

EP Approval - 2 months

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
vickyt

EP Approval - 2 months

Post by vickyt » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:04 pm

Hi Guys,

I have just been informed that My EP approval is awaiting input from a vetting agency and outcome is expected in 2 months. Does anybody know why the vetting if there is a way to expedite this. I am already on EP which has 2 more years of validity but changing jobs now so need a new one.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: EP Approval - 2 months

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:24 pm

vickyt wrote:Hi Guys,

I have just been informed that My EP approval is awaiting input from a vetting agency and outcome is expected in 2 months. Does anybody know why the vetting if there is a way to expedite this. I am already on EP which has 2 more years of validity but changing jobs now so need a new one.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks.
All new applications for work passes are treated as new applications. Additionally, now that they are looking for reasons to cut back on the number of foreign workers here, they are vetting paper qualifications a lot more closely than previously. This, depending on where you are from, can often take several months and can actually result in a rejection. I've even had renewals rejected for increasingly harder checks on academic qualifications.

Some countries do not have university transcripts/degrees digitalized so everything is done manually and often needs grease to get them to move faster. (Myanmar and Indonesia are two that I know happens with great regularity). So even though you skated through due to cursory checks on your first pass, with the newer, closer scrutiny it's a whole new ballgame.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vickyt

Post by vickyt » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:46 pm

thanks sms but my degree is from the National University of Singapore. On top of that the govt. paid for it so I am bonded to work in Singapore cant even leave if i wanted to.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 1:04 pm

How long have you been in the job which you are leaving? Are you by any chance leaving a public sector job to go to a private sector job?

vickyt

Post by vickyt » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 1:10 pm

Ive been in this job for more than 2 yrs. It's private sector to private sector. Actually industry and job role is exactly the same. im leaving for a direct competitor.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 2:13 pm

vickyt wrote:thanks sms but my degree is from the National University of Singapore. On top of that the govt. paid for it so I am bonded to work in Singapore cant even leave if i wanted to.
Could be the bond is part of the reason. Are you bonded to that particular employer? Is there a non-compete clause built into the works somewhere? Does your current employer know you are trying to go to a competitor? Seems that there is more here than meets the eye at first glance. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vickyt

Post by vickyt » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:10 pm

Just got it the EP! All I had to do was a make a call to MOM and they rushed it. Simply a back log issue i guess.

Btw bond is not the reason because it's not tied to an employer. It's a Sing Govt. bond to work in any company in sg. It's a very common thing for foreign students in sg to be bonded. Govt. sponsors us to make up for shortage of manpower.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
vickyt wrote:thanks sms but my degree is from the National University of Singapore. On top of that the govt. paid for it so I am bonded to work in Singapore cant even leave if i wanted to.
Could be the bond is part of the reason. Are you bonded to that particular employer? Is there a non-compete clause built into the works somewhere? Does your current employer know you are trying to go to a competitor? Seems that there is more here than meets the eye at first glance. :-k