Singapore Expats

Expat commuting to work from Johor Bahru

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Bofong

Post by Bofong » Tue, 04 May 2010 2:41 pm

Guys

We have a new launch in East Ledang, Nusajaya City. Definitely a good buy for a FREEHOLD condo. Please call me 94558122 to know more. We provide door-step pick-up for the private viewing, no obligation.

Dittmer

Ledang Heights

Post by Dittmer » Mon, 10 May 2010 6:52 pm

Any expatriates or Singaporean bought and living in Ledang Heights? We are about to commit to buy a piece of land to build our own home. Anyone doing the same? Pls share your experience in building your own home as I don't know how to kick start the process other than to get developer to recommend their contractors.

Most buyers are investors as not many are building even though 90% of the land are sold. It is too quiet and remote in Ledang Heights but location is top.

Bofong

Post by Bofong » Tue, 11 May 2010 8:57 am

Yes, I have property in East Ledang & Ledang Heights. Please call me at 94558122 to have a chat.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 11 May 2010 5:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'll be going home within the next 3-5 years after having traveled the world as a Expat for the better part of 30 years.
:wink:
Woo does that mean you gonna leave Singapore and SE Forum for good!

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:47 am

FaeLLe wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'll be going home within the next 3-5 years after having traveled the world as a Expat for the better part of 30 years.
:wink:
Woo does that mean you gonna leave Singapore and SE Forum for good!

:shock:

richard III

Post by richard III » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 3:05 pm

Hi all:
I posted in another forum, but a lots of info here. I am on an EP in Singapore and toying with the Idea of moving next door. Checked on Horizon Hills, leisure Farm and another development I forgot the name but close to the check points. I would have to keep the kids in schools in Singapore at least until Marlborough sets up shop in Iskandar.
I would appreciate imputs on legal as well as logistical stuff.
Buy a car? keep the singaporean car? any Issues? permit to stay in MY?
possible? daily commute for kids...viable? thinking of renting, not buy..
any help greatly appreciated

mofobro

Post by mofobro » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 8:56 pm

Horizon HillS is so much more sophisticated and advanced and well maintained than East Ledang or Ledsng Heights. There are plenty of rental properties at Horizon Hills and you are 5 minutes away from 3 major shopping malls. We were going to by at Ledang until we saw HH. We bought at HH instead within hours and cancelled Ledang.

HH has much better security, a great clubhouse, golf course, wide streets and well maintained properties.

We got very turned off at Kefang when we expressed interest in a piece of land and the price suddenly went from $40 to 58/60+ per sq ft. Who needs that kind of bullshit? Developer land was no different.. Same crap.

Ledang has some beautiful semi-D's but in my opinion the build quality at HH is superior and the developer is quite straightforward.

Now as to cars- u cannot, as a Spore PR drive a Malaysian plated car back and forth- only a Spore plated car- so keep your Singapore car.

We're keeping our kids in school in Singapore and will drive across the second link each day at about 6-615 each morning arriving in Orchard area about 7 am. Not too bad...

Nusajaya is a great place to live and literally 10% of cost of Singapore. The Malays may not be in general, brain surgeons, but they are Laos back, pleasant, friendly and polite- something sporeans are NOT. You need a little more patience up there but you'll live on 25% of what it costs in Singapore and not deal with any of the arrogance or bad manners. It's worth it... And you can rent a great home for RM5000 which would cost you s$5000+ with a cheap chinaman for a landlord who's never around when the shit hits the fan. I'll choose "laid back" to arrogant ill mannered Neanderthal any day.

richard III

Post by richard III » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 1:10 pm

thanks, appreciate the help.....please check your pm´s

ptcm

East Ledang is like $650k. It's a totally different league

Post by ptcm » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 8:32 pm

Horizon hill is selling for $350k.

East Ledang is like $650k. It's a totally different league ?

Anyone bought both ?

Pls share.

ptcm

HH or East Ledang

Post by ptcm » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 9:22 am

Hello mofobro,

We went to see East Ledang and Setia Eco Garden last week. We wanted to see HH, but couldn't find their contact person in Singapore. Do they have an office in Singapore ?

I personally thought East Ledang's location is very good, but building quality is just mediocre.

can i ask which phase of HH you bought and what are the pros and cons between them ?

We are seriously thinking of commuting to work in Singapore. My wife has to be in the office by 7:45 am at Raffles place. What time do we have to leave HH. How's the traffice like in the morning ?

thanks a lot.

Pioneer
Regular
Regular

Post by Pioneer » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 1:02 pm

Hi all,

Some interesting stuff here. Myself and my wife are epxats and have lived in Singapore for 5 years. We are reaching the point of looking to buy a place and stop paying "dead money" on rent. We are stuck in a quandry as to whether to pay ridiculous sums of money for a condo in singapore or for the same price as the downpayment for a condo here go and buy a place in JB.

I understand the legalities of living there as a foreigner, on the M2HM scheme (hope I got abbreviation right) but I dont understand what the limitations are of just buying a place as foreigner who comes and goes during the week to work and lives there at weekends, could anyone shed any light.

Also my main concern is the traveling, I work in Bukit Timah and my wife is in CBD. In reality does anyone have any useful experience of driving to and from JB (say Horizon Hills area) on a daily working time basis (ie 9-5) as this is one of the things that will really swing it one way of another.

I am applying for SPR and wondered if that entitles me to live in Malaysia any easier than being a foreigner?

Finally is a there anyone who is traveling everyday and getting their passport stamped everyday day. Would be interested to hear how impractical the whole deal is in getting a new one.

Anyway hope that someone can give the benefit of their experience.

cheers

PS - Can anyone recommend any good estate agents for places in Iskander area?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 8:49 pm

If your only concern is that your rent is dead money and that the prices of condo are ridiculous, I would wait for my SPR and then buy a HDB.

That way you save yourself from all the unnecessary hassle and you money isnt dead.

Pioneer
Regular
Regular

Post by Pioneer » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 9:32 pm

Thats assuming that I get SPR, I am not likely to want to waste another 6 months waiting and then find my SPR is rejected and then be faced with the fact house prices have jumped another 5%.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Attn: tragically hip

Post by Asdracles » Tue, 10 Aug 2010 5:34 pm

Hi, I have been looking around the forum and this post is the closest to my situation. There are some chances that I might move to KL, but keep doing my SG work. I work from home most of the times, so no difference between being in Sengkang or KL, except a higher phone bill and a couple of monthly trips to SG (instead doing them to KL as now, so really this is not a difference)

Well, the only question that I couldn't solve with these posts is about staying there legally. I'm not sure if I will be able to rent a place or buying a car under my name. What about those of you that bought property in JB?

Also, even if I never stay in Malaysia more than 3 months in a row, if I keep entering-leaving, will they care so much as SG does?

I still have to negotiate, and it's far from being a final decision, but I want to know the rules of the game in advance :D
aslayter wrote:I am looking for some more information on holding an SG
Employment Pass and living in Malaysia.

My Partner is moving to KL in a couple of months and my company has said that I can work either out of the KL office or remotely from home BUT I would need to move to the local Malay pay scale.

I am hoping to avoid that for obvious reason. So I don't get railroaded by my current company, I'd love some information on how people are currently living in JB or KL and working in SG.

Sorry I tried to PM option but the site wouldn't let me.

Thanks!

creammocha

Anyone know of short term rental in East Ledang?

Post by creammocha » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 4:21 pm

Hi, does anyone know of short term (2 months) rental in east ledang- needed from mid Oct to end of Dec 2010. Thank you