Singapore Expats

Jobs in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
deamons

HELP ME FIND A JOB!

Post by deamons » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:23 am

Hi ! My name is Dmitriy. I'm 24 years old. I will arrive to learn the English to International House (Limkokwing University of Creative Technology) to Malaysia. After finished studies I will arrive to Singapore for 4 months and want find a job in Singapore. I'm willing at any jobs in Singapore. I'm requesting you to help me at search a job in Singapore PLEASE!!!

deamons

Post by deamons » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:26 am

boysbone

Post by boysbone » Mon, 24 May 2010 9:22 am

I'm Kiki from Indonesia. Next year, i have been finished my education in electronic engineering.

I wish i can find a job in Singapore. Can you help me to give me an information??

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 May 2010 10:04 am

boysbone wrote:I'm Kiki from Indonesia. Next year, i have been finished my education in electronic engineering.

I wish i can find a job in Singapore. Can you help me to give me an information??
JobsDB.com, jobstreet.com, monster.com, google, etc., etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

melren

Re: Oops

Post by melren » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:30 am

laychavez wrote:
Dannny wrote:Guys... i've moved to singapore after studying and working for 4-5 yrs in UK
in marketing

I've been applying for jobs for the past 2 weeks. I've been told by the locals to go the international plaza where dozens of recruitments agents got their offices. I got shocked when I went there; coz none of them accepted my CV and said we do only for locals. Few of them r well known international recruitment companies. only a couple of them asked me to send a soft copy their email add.

Guys wht do u think abt the current job market for foreigners?
I'm having the same problem. Ive been here for 3 weeks and have sent more than a hundred CVs. I even paid 50$ to one recruitment agency but Ive been turned down many times. The recruitment agency told me that there was this SG govt order to only accept SG locals or PRs at this time. I think Im gonna go home now and just come back next year, maybe. Ill stay connected to this forum though to see if there's any change. hopefully, somebody out there can give us some updates :D
No matter what just don't lost hope and keep trying and u'll get it eventually.
I sent over hundreds of CV and been turned down so many times for 2 months before getting a job offer.
One thing though, u're not supposed to pay any fee to recruitment agency/ies, ur potential employer will be the one who pay the agency fees.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 7:00 am

Actually, a recruitment agency CAN charge you an administrative fee to add your CV to their database. It normally shouldn't be over $15-50 and it's chargable to all who register their CV with the agent. It has nothing with guaranteeing a placement and is chargable up front purely for administrative purposes. Most reputable agencies don't charge anything but some of the sleazy ones do as they make their money (little) that way because their consultants aren't worth a crap and placements are rare by those companies. Stay away from them as they normally are just a waste of your time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

KittyJules76

Post by KittyJules76 » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 4:26 pm

I am sorry but I really want to know how locals here find the jobs and what kind of jobs are they looking for. My company is looking for Retail Sales for quite some time already and we only manage to get foreigners who are willing to work long hours and endless working days.
I am getting really agitated with all those local who apply for the position. For crying out loud, it's a non-executive position and they are expecting to get at least 2k. Those who match with our salary criteria will nod their heads and never show up on training day. Some didnt even show up on interview appointments after saying on the phone how they needed the job urgently. Some say it's too far ( from their Woodland place to our Novena or Marina Square). I even have Malaysian staff coming to work from JB everyday. Funny recruitment agencies cannot find the suitable candidate. Eventhough, we are willingly to pay the expected salary, there's about two or three local to apply the position, The rest 99 applicants are from China, Philippine and Malay no matter how many times we stated in the ad SG or PR only. Oh but I also cant apply all those foreigners cause I still need the quota thingy to appoint one. Duhhhh!!
Seriously, now that they put higher levy and restriction on foreigner workers, does the situation change? Does so called local ppl get more job?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 5:53 pm

Welcome to the conundrum that is Singapore. The country that doesn't listen, or should I say, doesn't hear anything except what it wants to hear. Singaporean do not like service jobs as they consider it demeaning as they have to "serve" others and therefore it places them below the other person. That, as they have been pampered so long by the nanny state and Had such a good run before the last recession, that they feel they "deserve" more money even though they aren't worth a third of that. Problem is, the gahmen, think that by tightening up on FT's they will solve the problem. However, what is going to happen is that the service industry will just get worse and be understaffed in addition to the "so-called" English problems that they "claim" they are having. We already know how hard it is to understand a gum chewing, singlish spouting, ah lian. And yet they persist on trying to blame their woes on the FT. The construction & shipyard industries have the same problems.

fabian0680

Post by fabian0680 » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 5:38 am

Hello

I have a little question and hope that somebody can give me a feedback. I am working for a large German company and have already spent some months in Singapore. Now my family and I (wife and 2 year old son) are thinking about a potential delegation to Singapore.

For myself such a delegation would be relatively easy - the company has departments, packages, ... for that and I am quite sure that we would find some kindergarden, school, ... for our son. But for my wife it would be important to work part time. She is a dental hygienist - something in between a dentist and an assistant, you can check Wikipedia for medical details :-) Her English is quite well but she'd have to get adjusted to the accent ;-)

Two questions on this:

- do you think that we have a good chance to find an according job for her. Is it a problem, advantage, ... for a caucasion to find such a job at a dentist - any feeling about that?

- if she finds such a job - would we have to expect problems regarding working permission?

Would be glad to receive a feedback from you since this is an important point in our thoughts regarding a potential delegation.

Best regards from Germany

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 5:55 am

fabian0680 wrote:Hello

Go and use the search button for expat packages, schooling expenses to read and absorb as much as possible, If you still cannot get what you are looking for, throw a line with a bait of course, someone will bite your bait
(':D')

Two questions on this:

- do you think that we have a good chance to find an according job for her. Is it a problem, advantage, ... for a caucasion to find such a job at a dentist - any feeling about that?
There is a list of foreign dentist accreditation that is recognised in SG. Read this http://www.hpp.moh.gov.sg/DSAB/DSAB_Home.html

- if she finds such a job - would we have to expect problems regarding working permission?

IF she is coming with you i.e you will be under Employment Pass i.e EPEC look at www.mom.gov.sg for a range of passes, she will be under Dependent Pass. To work under DP she has to apply Letter of Consent (LOC)from Ministry of Manpower(MOM) to get permission to work.The downside is if you lose your job, she will lose hers too as the DP is attached to your EP. I would be incline for her to apply EP on her own when she is under your DP. Hence if you lose you job , it will not affect her job
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

lucky_boy2709

Post by lucky_boy2709 » Wed, 11 Aug 2010 6:59 pm

Hello all,

I am a Belgian fresh graduate (Master) in Electromechanical engineering from a good university in Belgium. I speak French (native), English (fluent), Chinese(fluent), Cantonese(Native) and a bit Dutch.

My girlfriend will move to Singapore for a teaching job and I would like to join her here, so I am wondering if a fresh grad of my type could find a job (easily or hardly) in the production, industrial field, as all the post I read here, many people had problems to find a job because we are foreigners...

If a fresh grad is reading my post, can you share your experience with me ? Does someone know the case of a fresh grad like me who are looking for a job here ?

Can the moderator give me an advice for my situation ?

Thx a lot !

argiope

Looking for Banking roles

Post by argiope » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 3:20 am

Yep i clearly understand this isn't the place to look for jobs but meh i'm desperate - have been looking for a job for the past 2 months. I don't have a network here - i'm still new to SG, thus i'm only counting on headhunters and job agencies. Now i'm moving on to forums.

I moved to SG on a contract job in a foreign bank but somehow it was ended ahead of schedule so now my EP has been revoked and i'm left unemployed.

I'm 27/F and i have around 6 years of working experience in IT support/pre-sales and Cash Management industry (project management). I'm looking for mid-level roles within the banking line. I'm well-versed in English, Mandarin, Cantonese and Malay.

Please, some good Samaritans, PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Anew10

Need your inputs

Post by Anew10 » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 7:37 pm

Hey All,

I am a US citizen who just moved to Singapore a few months ago and have been looking for a job since then. Somehow, I find the process to be very slow and now as I am starting to have a few leads, it is getting closer to year end and there is normally a big slowdown going towards the year end. How do I increase my chances of getting hired before year end? Do people here still find job via network or is the method already old school? Need your help pleaseeee

Muslima70
Regular
Regular

Post by Muslima70 » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 3:14 pm

well I do know some pple esp locals like to switch jobs after they receive their AWS, aka Annnual wage supplement which like a bonus (but not quite) . Most SG workers get their AWS around Dec every year.

And then in Jan or Feb they quit their old job after they get a new job..so a lot of vacancies around that period...

Don't give up the job search, it is slow gg even for us locals...best for your to get part-time job or something like that first and see where you can go from there...

best of luck to you
Salam(peace be with you)

evelicious

Post by evelicious » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 10:42 pm

so hard to find work in singapooooorrree!! :???: