Singapore Expats

Great coffee

Share your favourite eating haunts!
kmg

Great coffee

Post by kmg » Thu, 20 May 2010 1:30 pm

Hi there
Moved to Singapore a few years ago and I've largely been quite disgusted by the coffee I've found.. Starbucks and Coffee Bean just churn up brown crayon water which is frankly a bit gross. Recently discovered that the Cellar Door has reopened in VivoCity (used to be in Bukit Timah but we didn't go much because it was so out of the way) and I popped in the other day - seriously the best coffee I've had in Singapore! Really really good. The chocolate fudge cake is to die for too. Just thought I'd let y'all know. :)

berkshire_yorkie

Post by berkshire_yorkie » Thu, 20 May 2010 7:34 pm

When i need my occasional refuge from Asian food I go to B Bakery on Bussorah St for a fix of cakes, pastries, salads and sandwiches. Coffee's pretty good as well.
Never regret anything that made you smile

Big Mac
Regular
Regular

Post by Big Mac » Fri, 21 May 2010 1:31 pm

hmmm star bucks generally suck so its no surprise there :P

does anyone know where the best coffee around raffles place is please?

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vbelle » Thu, 27 May 2010 2:16 pm

Big Mac wrote:hmmm star bucks generally suck so its no surprise there :P

does anyone know where the best coffee around raffles place is please?
Black

have you tried?
Its in Hitachi tower..or chevron tower, for me it looks like this building have 2 names;p

they got another one at triple one somerset

as for other places:
Kith - Robertson Quay, Highlander- Kampung Bahru Rd, Jones the Grocer-Dempsey Hill...

hulahula

o'briens irish cream coffee

Post by hulahula » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 4:03 pm

hi there! I just received an email saying that o'briens is offering their coffee at 50%... anyone here heard of it?

shema

Post by shema » Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:11 pm

hello guys newbie here..hmm..have u guys tried civet coffee???.. :)

yousing

Post by yousing » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 2:44 pm

Hello guys. I am new to Singapore. Would anyone recommend the best coffee in singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 3:06 pm

shema wrote:hello guys newbie here..hmm..have u guys tried civet coffee???.. :)
You're sh*tting me, right? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 3:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Actually you should try it while you can still get your hands on it - in today's paper there is an article saying that the indonesian mullahs are going to determine whether or not it is unclean or not.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 6:26 pm

Is it served with toilet tissue? :mrgreen:

Anyway, even if the mullahs decide it's unclean they'll let 'em sell them to the infidels.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

shema

Post by shema » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:41 am

carteki wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Actually you should try it while you can still get your hands on it - in today's paper there is an article saying that the indonesian mullahs are going to determine whether or not it is unclean or not.
it is clean.indonesian mullahs has determined it ,that kopi luwak or civet coffee is legally permitted after washing process.so it's ok to consume :D

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:57 am

shema wrote:
carteki wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: You're sh*tting me, right? :lol:
it is clean.indonesian mullahs has determined it ,that kopi luwak or civet coffee is legally permitted after washing process.so it's ok to consume :D
I would love to know the Mullahs' reasoning behind finding this 'clean' and other things like pork unclean. :o

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:10 pm

Apparently, there is a film or skin around the bean that has to be removed before brewing, therefore once the beans are washed and the skin removed, the actual bean hasn't been contaminated.

Which begs the question, what makes Civet coffee so expensive if the skin shielding the bean doesn't let anything through. Or are the Mullahs so dumb that they don't realize that? Or is everybody who spends stupid money for the cock & bull story even more stupid than the mullahs who have apparently decided to keep ripping off the infidels which is actually pretty smart! :P

shema

Post by shema » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Apparently, there is a film or skin around the bean that has to be removed before brewing, therefore once the beans are washed and the skin removed, the actual bean hasn't been contaminated.

Which begs the question, what makes Civet coffee so expensive if the skin shielding the bean doesn't let anything through. Or are the Mullahs so dumb that they don't realize that? Or is everybody who spends stupid money for the cock & bull story even more stupid than the mullahs who have apparently decided to keep ripping off the infidels which is actually pretty smart! :P
I think it's because the bean is had passed through the special process in civet stomag that making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. and so After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness than other coffee bean. :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Jul 2010 1:32 pm

But wouldn't that process have to penetrate the film surrounding the bean in order to accomplish that? :-k