Singapore Expats

local focused interest credit cards

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

local focused interest credit cards

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 5:12 pm

Possibly a bit silly question, but are the credit cards like Takashimaya, or Ikea or Amex Rewards any good for buying outside Singapore?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 5:52 pm

I'm guessing they would still be if they're Mastercard or Visa but I'm not so sure. Mebbe if you try doing an online transaction with them, we'll find out?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 6:42 pm

I do not have any yet :) I have the regular ones and looking for more reasonable alternatives. For example I have the black dbs amex and pay ++250 annually the main and supplementary card fees practically not using any of the privilges except the rewards points. I'am thinking of replacing it with the mentioned amex rewards card or similar. Appears to make much more sense with basic card fee $50 and the fees for 2 supplementary cards permanently waved.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsml ... faad94RCRD

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 9:03 pm

x9200 wrote:I do not have any yet :) I have the regular ones and looking for more reasonable alternatives. For example I have the black dbs amex and pay ++250 annually the main and supplementary card fees practically not using any of the privilges except the rewards points. I'am thinking of replacing it with the mentioned amex rewards card or similar. Appears to make much more sense with basic card fee $50 and the fees for 2 supplementary cards permanently waved.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsml ... faad94RCRD
Actually with the competitive nature of the market no one pays annual fees except for maybe the highest segment of cards(Amex Centurion or Platinum Charge etc) For the rest you can always call and ask to cancel the card and more often then not the charges get waived. I also have the DBS Black and have never paid a dime as fees

To the original question, yes you can use any of the "credit" cards for purchase outside of Singapore....

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 9:23 pm

valleyman wrote:Actually with the competitive nature of the market no one pays annual fees except for maybe the highest segment of cards(Amex Centurion or Platinum Charge etc) For the rest you can always call and ask to cancel the card and more often then not the charges get waived. I also have the DBS Black and have never paid a dime as fees

I find the idea of doing things like this awkward. Regardless some other aspects I value mine time enough not to play this kind of games for such amount of money. Less interactions with any local enterprises better for my sanity.

To the original question, yes you can use any of the "credit" cards for purchase outside of Singapore....
Thanks!

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:29 am

x9200 wrote:
valleyman wrote:Actually with the competitive nature of the market no one pays annual fees except for maybe the highest segment of cards(Amex Centurion or Platinum Charge etc) For the rest you can always call and ask to cancel the card and more often then not the charges get waived. I also have the DBS Black and have never paid a dime as fees

I find the idea of doing things like this awkward. Regardless some other aspects I value mine time enough not to play this kind of games for such amount of money. Less interactions with any local enterprises better for my sanity.

Thanks!
FYI.. DBS also has a menu option in its automated voice response where you can just key in your number to get the annual fee waiver... I guess you won't waste too much of your time playing these "games" and "interacting with local enterprises" doing that. :roll:

Anyways to each his own!

makale

Post by makale » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:21 am

Does anyone Know which is the best credit card for Kris Flyer?

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 3:08 pm

makale wrote:Does anyone Know which is the best credit card for Kris Flyer?
Amex - SIA co branded credit card.

Modery

Post by Modery » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 6:26 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
makale wrote:Does anyone Know which is the best credit card for Kris Flyer?
Amex - SIA co branded credit card.
I'd also consider DBS Altitude and Citibank Premiermiles. Most of the time, they give you more miles per dollar spent (around 1.2 miles per $1).

If you spent overseas, you get the most miles with the Maybank Horizon (2 miles per $1)